3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Road trip Trad Turkey Hunt NE. we're back pg 4  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Road trip Trad Turkey Hunt NE. we're back pg 4
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »
If there was a finer bunch of folks to hunt and hang out with, I sure as heck haven't found them yet.  I've known Whip and Joey for a few years and was tickled pink to finally get to hunt with'em.  Ed and Charles turned out to be winners in my book as well.  

The fact that Whip and Joey both cook better than they shoot wasn't necessarily what I anticipated, but that turned out well for the rest of us.  

Nick, our host, was a pleasant surprise as well.  The guy seemed to enjoy us being there as much as we enjoyed being there.  He was as genuinely interested in our having fun and success as anybody I've ever seen in that role.  Folks in that role usually get a bit frustrated with me as I like to hunt "my way."  When I go back, it will feel like visiting family.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
This is getting good.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
jack, you definitely need a repeat to make up for your fall hunt.

So as  I watched the four gobblers trot off down the pasture to join the flock, I cursed myself for fooling with the video. I am not one of those that video all my hunts, mostly because they are unproductive and well I don't know flip about editing and such. But hunting blindness for turkeys , it is seems easier to do since your ground level..but not if your not familiar with all the buttons and auto focus crap.

so camera finally on and ready to hit the record button if good lord blesses me with another confortation........One thing about Klintworth ranch......Opportunities abound........within minutes I spoted a group of gobbling Jakes on opposing hill side. actually one of them gobbled. so I hit back with a little gobble from my Haint call then a drawn out KeeKee Jake course yelp with mouth call.  that put them in a sprint.. Game on.  Jake?  for the record.....I am not a trophy turkey hunter.  life is too short. I love shooting turkeys with my bow and hunting them blindness well......just getting your bow drawn with a gobbler at 12 steps is a success at your first several seasons....but I hunt to kill and eat so Jakes are in trouble when they cross my path.  So the below link was the result

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=UwAqwl-nl6Y
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
The link doesn't seem to work for me Joey.  And don't forget to tell them about the arrow rotation calculations you needed to make that shot.  Details like that set you apart from the average turkey hunter!    :p
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
This is great!!! I want to do this hunt someday...like NEXT year  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
I spent the next couple of days getting the same results.  Time after time I had birds coming, but each time they got close I would hear the dreaded "PUTT PUTT" sound and the opportunity would vanish.

I couldn't figure it out.  Was I moving slightly?  Blinking my eyes? Were my decoys the problem?  They looked pretty good to me.

Finally I had enough.  I decided to try to see it from the turkeys perspective.  Setting up my camera on a tripod, this is what I looked like when tucked up underneath some overhanging cedars.

I stood out like the proverbial sore thumb.  Another lesson learned - match the camo to the cover dummy!   :knothead:    :banghead:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
rats , it works for me....I just copied and pasted it.

As video shows , the shot was perfectly executed and the new ABS 1 7/8" Silver Flame severed the bird's head and neck. Whip had the gall to make the statement " I got lucky that the BH hit horizontally to cut jakes head off".  I told not the case...I just maybe shot a tiny litle bit high.!!!!   Beside I know at 12 .7 yards , the big Silver Flame is at it's horizontal position.

definitely a gratifying kill since I was using the new ABS Silver Flame. 1 7/8" XXL.   I had personally for 2 years pestered and begged Garrett at ABS to make these heads . only 200 of these were made by the old German company for one SC Bowhunter. Marcus put me on his trail and I was able buy a substantial stash from the Sc bowhunter along with a few others.  Garrett listened patiently to my requests but no head way..Until I sent him a pic of big hog I killed showing  the devastation through a thick shield hit.. then I sent him one of my treasured heads.  he said let me get my longbow off the ground and we will see.

I love these heads.... I had to sharpen Whips twice since  some how they ended up dulled in the dirt?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
Here are some pictures of my gear for this trip.  The Pacseat is perfect for blindless turkey hunting.  I added a Blacks Creek Turkey Tuxedo vest to it to hold all of my gear.  It let me carry everything I needed in one package.  Looks bulky, but actually carries really well.

What I need to change is to have an option for a darker camo, both for myself and for the bow blind.  I will have that done for next time....
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
This looks like a blast. Great thread!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
I know when I'm beat, so the last night I relented on my blindless plan and took Nick up on his offer to put me in a blind right behind the barn that afternoon.  It was desperation time.

Ed had given me one of the big XXL Silver Flames to try earlier that day.  I screwed one of Joey's practice broadheads on to one of my arrows and tried it on the practice range.  1st shot - Bam! Bullseye!  Second shot Bam again!  The arrows flew like darts with that big ol' blade leading the way.  The XXL would be on the tip of my arrow if I got a shot.

I hadn't been settled in for more than 10 minutes when a longbeard came in circling the blind.  As he made his way toward a gap in the fence I had a shot at about 20 yards - exactly this distance from our practice earlier. I knew I could make that shot, but watched helplessly as it dropped just low.  I could have cried...
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
Sunday brought the end of our trip, but there was time for one more hunt before we needed to hit the road.  

Back to the blind for me, and as I sat in the dark listening to gobbles galore I knew it wouldn't be long before the action started.  And I was not disappointed.

By the time the dust had settled I had dequivered and four of my arrows lay scattered in the pasture.  The turkeys had completely humiliated me, and would send me home with an empty cooler.  

The shots were a bit long, but I just couldn't seem to find the range.  All I can think of is that I hadn't practiced from the blind at all this year, and I know that it normally takes me some adjustment time to get used to shooting out of a window.  I really think it messed with my depth perception, and I just couldn't get dialed in.  At least that is my story, and I'm sticking to it....

Another lesson that I shouldn't have needed to relearn - practice from a blind before trying to hunt from one!  :knothead:    :banghead:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
...I just maybe shot a tiny litle bit high.!!!!   Beside I know at 12 .7 yards , the big Silver Flame is at it's horizontal position.

As he retold that story we all sat around the table nodding our heads in agreement..  :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
I want to back Whip up on his situation.. It's easy to de-quiver on walking turkeys at 20 yards..i have done it several times. Plus add the fact your shooting out of a opening on a blind your not use too...there is a merit badge for that and it's not hard to get. trust me.......But how can you miss one at 15 yards blindless?....Duckbutt?..........i feel artilleries fixin to hit me so i will get it out of the way...i did miss a longbeard at 12.7 yards also...i was shooting a new bow though...Duckbutt?

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
i did miss a longbeard at 12.7 yards also...i was shooting a new bow though
Joey a new bow is supposed to make you shoot better, that's why we buy so many.  ;)  

I can't wait to get back to Nick's.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
In my Favorite Turkey hunting book Doug Camp sez" There is a lot of air around a Turkey". You learn this quick with a bow in your hand.RC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:     :bigsmyl:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »

All we can do is keep trying. Congrats

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Here is my blindness setup minus my face paint and mask.  DSD decoys, minnow sein net for a cape, bow shield. nothing flaps or wiggles ....goal is to look like a tree trunk..not pictured is my waldrop pack seat.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Great stuff as always Joebuck.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
Wow, it sounds like the ultimate place to turkey hunt. Nice shooting Joey!!!

Joe, I can't believe you blew more opporotunities in two days than I have had in fifteen years of turkey hunting.  :knothead:
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©