3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Road trip Trad Turkey Hunt NE. we're back pg 4  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Road trip Trad Turkey Hunt NE. we're back pg 4
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
Joey that was an awesome shot.  Congrats on the bird. I'm going blindless next time out.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
It sure would have been an awesome shot.  If  he was aiming for the neck and if you believe that 12.7 yard horizontal broadhead alingment thing.  But who am I to question?  
He's got turkey meat.
I've got nada....    :dunno:  

Greg, you're sure right about the number of opportunities.  There was more action every time we headed out than you could get in an entire seasons worth of hard hunting around here.  

Hunting the Klintworth ranch is like going to graduate school for turkey hunters.  It sure accelerates the learning curve when you can blow one opportunity and have another bird in your lap 10 minutes later.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
Whip hit it on the head.  Nick Klintworth has been doing this for a long time.  15 plus years. He has never had a gun hunt: he takes just so many birds each year and protects his home roost. He has done an outstanding job in managing his flock.  He is a lot fun to hangout with too.  Nick busts his butt to get his clients a shot. Of coarse if one goes blindlesss like me then he will work with that too.   Anyone interested in 2013 , give a shout. I left his. Number in a previous thread. Or pm me
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
Whip, you didn't miss, you shot went exactly where your arrow was pointing!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Ok, if that's the way it works...  ;)
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:

Julian went high, and I took the bottom.  It was still plenty dark and turkeys were already sounding off from the tree.  I got set up and tucked back in under a cedar and listened to more turkey talk than I had ever heard in my life!

As daylight came the birds were anxious to get about their business.  I watched as one after another pitched out of the trees.  Unfortunately, they went out on the top side but away from where Julian had set up.  
This seems like a good place to start.
Like Whip said, I climbed around and above the roost tree not knowing which direction the birds might fly down and travel.  I made a quick hide in some cedars and the birds were talking and gobbling up a storm. After the fly down and realization they were all headed down hill and hopefully by Whip.
After a while and some failed long distance communication with Whip, I headed off to another part of area hoping to find some birds.  I finally heard some distant gobbling and felt I'd be far clear of Whips location.  
I used the hills to close some distance and finally got within about a hundred yards of the gobbling.  Sounded like a lone bird and he was somewhere in this old home site and corral area.

I was coming down the hill towards the back of the house where you can see the treeline that he would have to come through to get to my clearing.  I found a shady spot in the cedars close to what I thought would be the trail he'd come through to get to me.  I was set up for a good shot once he cleared the cedars and came into the opening for my decoys.  When I hit the call, he thundered.  Within a couple minutes, he was behind the house, against the cedars and at 20 yards gobbling his head off.  After a while, he seemed hung up.  Then, I heard a hen yelp.  He start to ease away from me and at about 50 yards, I cackled agressively.  He moved back to 20, gobbling again.  Although I was set for him to walk through the clearing in front of me, I'd check slowly behind me just in case Murphy was lurking, every minute or so.  Finally, I saw him coming from behind me....rascal didn't come where I thought he would.  I felt like I had enough time and cover to slowly shift around a little bit and as I began to move, PUTT PUTT PUTT...the hen was in my back pocket!  I called her a hairy headed ^%#@
under my breath.  She scooted out with big boy in tow.  He kind of did a drive by on my decoys since he didn't see me but was walking at a good clip so I didn't shoot.  He popped into full strut right before he crested the hill at about 40 yards.  Welcome to the Klintworth.   :eek:

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:  This is some good stuff. I really love turkey hunting.  Rather it be hunting or reading about it.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:     :bigsmyl:    :campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
I think we were all excited and anxious about what might be the best turkey hunting on the planet, but the true gift of this hunt was getting to know folks I already liked and respected enough to reclassify them as true friends and future hunting partners.  The down time on this trip will probably live in my memory bank with more interest than the hunting...and the hunting was superb.

Day two brought some pretty tough wind and rain so we set up a shooting range in the cattle barn after the morning hunt. It is actually attached to the living space.  Dang nicest barn I've ever slept in.

Nick opened the big door so any misses wouldn't create peep holes and the humiliated shooters would have to retrieve their arrows from the mud and rain outside.  I got off to a bit of a lead and was even taking some cash off the barrel head when the games got interesting.  Those old salts finally got in my head to the point of having to run out in the rain shot after shot before the shoot was done.    :banghead:  

The next day after the morning hunt, I had another bow out trying to get my shooting back to par.  Joey came out as he was now switching bows too.  He wanted to shoot a bird with one of Ed's Carbon Nanos.  Like all of Ed's stuff, that thing is a neat piece of equipment.

So...Ed walks up to Joey and points the video camera at him.  Joey takes a shot and calmly turns to the camera.  He starts rattling off the darndest infomercial quality monologue that I've ever seen.  At first I thought he was joking but a minute or so into this and I'm thinking there is no way he can be ad libbing this.  It's way too polished, packed with information and obviously well rehearsed.  I thought, jeez, nobody mentioned that they were about to film a commercial right here by the barn.  After another minute of his world class presentation, his last line with a totally straight face       ... "and it will only cost you $10,492 American dollars."

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Great stories guys. Joey the link don't work for me either.

Nick called me today with the stats  for this hunt and the recipe for the calf nuts.

Boys, I'm glad I aint the coach cause we'd be having two a days till next year when yall went back.

Seems like our group last year kept alot of arrows in the air as well though. looking forward to hearing the rest of the story.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
:campfire:
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
I've been turkey hunting for a lot of years.  First with a shotgun, then a compound, and finally with traditional gear.  It is a perfect release from a long Wisconsin winter, and I look forward to it every year.

Up until this year however, I had never seriously considered an out of state turkey hunt.  I'm here to tell you, that was a big mistake!  

More birds than I have ever seen in one place, and they were Merriams and Rios to boot.They are beautiful birds, and I long for the day when I can hang one of each on the wall of my den.

If you enjoy watching dancing toms strutting their stuff while thundering out gobbles with abandon, this is your place...

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Does that Nano make me look fat?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
This bird danced for over an hour the last morning 100 yards away.  I'm not sure if his intent was to attract a girlfriend or torment me.  

There are jakes by the dozens waiting their turn to move up in the pecking order.  

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
Does that Nano make me look fat?
No, it's that gluten free diet via Oreos!

:biglaugh:

Offline hood_lum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Sounds like one heck of a hunt. Was happy to hear that you gentleman had so much fun. Thanks for the pics and the stories.
NATURE GIVES AND NATURE TAKES AWAY, AND IT IS NOT ALWAYS EASY FOR FOOLS LIKE US TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.(E. DONNALL THOMAS, JR. "LONGBOWS IN THE FAR NORTH"

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
Joey- looks to me like that Jake cut it's own head off on the first strand of barbwire - runnin from your set up. Glad to see Nick still enjoys your shooting exhibitions that you and you enterourage always seem to show him. Took me all week to finally get two of em lined up for my last arrow. Batman is still talkin about it.
Warning- if you go with Joey- don't miss- you'll never hear the end of it.
PS - you're gonna miss.

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
Congrats Joebuck!     :thumbsup:

And Whip im sorry that it didnt all come together for you this time....

But it sounds like you guys had a blast!!!
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
Sorry my video went down..trying to get it fixed. Try this .. Recap..Here is a Jake i shot using my blindless setup.. Notice when bird PUTTed i drew. i knew it was over and my Hiddden draw bow blind helped a little bit cover my movement.. The twang you hear right before the shot is a limb under the cedar tree i was under, twanged on my metal bow shield.  The heavy breathing makes me sound like Marty when he was tickled pink with his Gemsbuck in africa....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwAqwl-nl6Y&list=HL1335971342&feature=mh_lolz

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©