3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF noise  (Read 419 times)

Offline doulos

• Trad Bowhunter
ILF noise
« on: April 24, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Been considering a ILF riser for purchase but am concerned about some of the things Ive read on archery forums.  Are these risers inherently noisier than a takedown?
Are they more difficult to quiet down?
Im not experienced in this type of archery any help would be appreciated for me to make an informed purchase.
I posted this on  another thread about Morrison bows. Ive been going back and forth in my mind between a Daala(unsure what length) or a Morrison gen 3,19inch

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF noise
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
DOULOS I HAVE A MORRISON 15" PHONELIC ILF RISER WITH HIS NEW STATIC TIP LIMBS. ZERO STRING SLAP ON THE LIMBS BUT THERE WAS A LIGHT NOISE COMING FROM THE LIMB POCKETS WHICH WAS CORRECTED BY A LITTLE FELT ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE LIMB AND A THIN COATING OF GREASE ON THE LIMB PIVOT. THIS BOW ALSO SHOOTS 190FPS + WITH STRING SILENCERS AND AT 9GPI WITH A 29 IN DRAW WITH FINGERS. DEADLY HUNTIN BOW AND NOW HAVE A GOOD COMBO OF SPEED AND STEALTH. YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH A MORRISON.  :thumbsup:

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Matching limb length to your draw length is very important in ILF as is overall bow length to keep finger pinch down, so riser length is also an important consideration. Being able to adjust tiller and poundage aids in tuning with the ILF. I have had some ILF risers that had some vibration at the limb bolt/brass sleeve, nothing one or two rubber O rings did not fix to snug things up. Other than that they are as quiet as my other bows once tuned. I prefer the DAS/Dalaa for their limb connection system over the ILF bushing, and I have both a DAS 17 and Morrison 19 gen 2. Switching bushings in the limbs takes just minutes so easy to interchange riser types.

So I would suggest you match your limb length to your draw length and choose riser length to make a comfortable shooting bow for your hunting/shooting conditions.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
I have a Zipper 17" riser with Dryad Static recurve limbs. Wool puffs and a yarn wrap on both ends of the string.....It is almost silent. It seems to like  about a 7 3/4 brace.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
I do have one that squeaks a tiny bit. The info on the previous post will take care of that. Otherwise, they are no harder to quiet than any other bow.

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
I have a Morrison all phenolic17 inch with some Dryad and BF Extreme limbs

It's super quiet

Real fast and my fav bow right now
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 01:51:00 AM »
I've only shot ILF for the past 4 year, don't think I'll ever switch.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
The metal riser seem to make a more noise than wood or phenolic. Dalaa has a rubber isolator that helps dampen vibration, leaving the main bolt and pin bolt that contact the metal.It is pretty easy to add rubber under the limb of ILF also yourself.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
I will be able to provide the rubber Isolators for All Morrison ILF risers about a month.

Bob

Offline HenrikBP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
I have a Morrison 17" wood riser with "Long" limbs. Pretty quiet with just yarn puffs. I noticed a tine bit of a "clack" when I was "breaking in" a new string that stretched enough that the brace height hit 6 3/4" - the lowest Bob recommended for my bow.

Otherwise no noise problems at all.  Really sweet shooting bow actually.
Morrison 17" ILF riser w/ "long" foam core recurve limbs. 47# @ 28"
Morrison 15" metal riser w/ "Short" Max1 limbs. 45# @ 27"
Toelke Whip HS TD 58", 47# @ 28"
Martin Hatfield TD. 55# @ 28"

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
I have a 15" Dryad Epic Riser with ACS CG longbow "long" limbs and it is a very quiet set up.  It seems to be every bit as quiet as my one piece R/D bows.  I am fanatical about quiet bows and this one is a keeper.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
I have the Morrison Wood/phenolic 15in riser with some carbon foam olympic limbs... It is quiet as any recurve... and with some wool balls and padding the loops, she's deadly!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Have a 17" Morrison wood/phenolic riser and med Dryad Epic limbs and this bow is one quiet bow. Don't know where the bad rap on noise came from.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Bob, I will be watching for the release of the rubber isolators.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
I know this thread is about a year old, but I am having some trouble getting a slight "tick" sound, which occurs at the shot, silenced with my Morrison ILF. I have the Mini 13, Dymalux and phenolic riser, foam core carbon recurve limbs (not static), with an SBD ultra string. The tick sounds almost like an aluminum arrow shaft being lightly tapped on the limb, and seems to be coming from the riser. Any thoughts, fellas?

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
Check limb butt clearance on riser, may need to sand it slightly to shorten, Also try tapping the riser listening to the limb bolts/brass sleeve.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
I have owned at least 10 different ILF risers and 30-40 sets of limbs. Never had a problem getting them quiet. Each set-up is different and I have had to apply felt to limb ends and rubber isolators and so on. I have a Belcher first gen metal riser with a set of Border Hex-5H limbs and it is the quietest recurve I have ever owned. Did not have to do a thing other than velcro in the sring grooves and a set of bow hush string silencers. Shawn
Shawn

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 03:56:00 AM »
I dont think mines any louder then my other bows.  My titan with dryad epics was dead quiet and shock free. the titan with TT carbon/woods are louder and do have some kick but still not bad at all.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline markliep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
Haven't shot the Morrison but have seen that sound coming off a limb bolt that has a loose tightening screw -on an Excel - adding some bow wax to the screw & then tightening it down seemed to do the trick; btw for string slap on these guys have found that turning bolts in our out was as effective as wool wraps/ silencers - M

Offline markliep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
Oops - string wax not bow wax ...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©