3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 600 grain arrow, what's special about it?  (Read 425 times)

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
600 grain arrow, what's special about it?
« on: April 25, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
I have read a lot of threads suggesting to use a 600 grain arrow out of light dw bows to increase penetration. I'm not disagreeing, just wondering what make that weight so special.
TOBY

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 600 grain arrow, what's special about it?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
The more weight the harder it is to stop.
Charlie
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else but for me 600 grs is a weight I can achieve pretty simply with carbon arrows, a 125 gr brass insert and a moderately heavy broadhead (150 to 185 grs). I usually shoot about 60 pounds though so at 10 grs per pound it is not an exceptionally heavy arrow for the draw weight.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
I think its a good all around weight to be around 600 grains give or take a bit.They hit hard with excellant momentum.A bow tends to shoot quieter and with a little less vibration with a pleasant feel.I dont shoot over 20 yards when hunting so I dont worry about trajectory much with the heavier arrow.

I shoot around 50#s at 30 inches draw and often hunt with a CX Heritage 250 which is a heavier carbon arrow.The arrow has a 50 grain brass insert and 150 grain head.That puts me at about 600 grains.I am pleased with the results for hunting and like how the bow feels when shot with these arrows.

I also shoot CX Heritage 150s with less point and insert weight than the 250s when I want a lighter grain weight arrow for flatter trajectory.They probably weigh 50-80 grains less with an aluminum insert and 100 or 125 grain head.

Shoot what flies best out of your bow though.A heavy arrow thats not flying straight and true wont do you much good

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
Well it's not just a number out of the air.  Dr. Ashby did extensive testing in Africa and Australia and concluded that an arrow at about 600 gr with extreme FOC and a single bevel broadhead was the king in penetration on large game with light poundage bows.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
I do believe Dr. Ashby's suggested minimum weight threashold to breach heavy bone was 650 grains.  If I'm wrong, please excuse me.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
It's an even number and it equates to 12 grains a pound on a fifty pound bow.  I don't know what you call a light draw, but it seems like a silly proposition on a 35-40# bow. An 8 GPP arrow with decent velocity may well serve you better than a 16 GPP arrow not getting anywhere near the same velocity.  At the end of the day if it shoots well and you enjoy it, use it.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
I also noticed that a 600gr arrow is quieter out of my longbows. I foot all my cedars with purple heart or bacote and even my fir shafts.The cedars turn out between 600 and 610. The firs can be anywhere from 630 to 680. I shoot between 57# to 70# depending on the temps.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
Mike,

Your probably right, but you get the idea.  Heavy arrow does the job that a light one will not when using light equipment.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
Penetration, penetration, penetration. They shoot quiet and are easy on your bow. They also have great penetration.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
I shoot bows that are 44@28 and arrows that are 600 grains.  I like them because I have gotten used to the way the bow feels on the shot and the fact that I keep shooting through deer with them.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Ashby also did some study on lighter bows and optimizing results.  I don't recall the numbers, but he determined that using a heavier arrow with even lighter poundage bows resulted in significantly better penetration.

It is great information. But  Take it for what it is worth.
ChuckC

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
The Ashby reports are good info, but the bottom line is you should shoot what shoots best for you - JMHO.  I have used heavy ash shafts with my Hill style longbow which put me at 11 gpp, but I'm leaning more towards douglas fir shafts that put me at 9 gpp.  I just shoot better and have more confidence with them.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
It's hard to stop.  :thumbsup:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
There is likely no better evidence than appropriate testing coducted by one's self while maintaining an open mind.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
There is likely no better evidence than appropriate testing coducted by one's self while maintaining an open mind.
BINGO!!!!!

I shoot 580 to 630 grains normally...and don't have any penetration issues ...even with 3 and 4 blades out of my bows....

However, *I* would NOT shoot at a TX whitetail with a 600 grain arrow out of a 45# bow. ....so take note, there are always exceptions....bows, arrow, and Bheads are all tools, and all need to be applied to the game sought.  Yes, there are great all around set ups, ....and that's what I use most of the time....but I do change if need be.....i.e., lighter on TX deer....and a little heavier arrow or bow on large boar hogs....or a different head if lighter bow.

There is no one weight arrow, or one bow, or one broadhead that is best for everything.....just like there is no best off road tire for every environment.  

Learn your equipment, and how and when to apply it....and use common sense....and don't be afraid to change if the scenario dictates based on YOUR experiences......   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
What Terry said...........
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by DesertDude:
What Terry said...........
x2
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
I have to agree with Terry as well. The absolutes so often touted in traditional bowhunting continue to perplex me. For many decades folks had no problem shooting through whitetails with 40-something-pound bows and arrows weighing between 400 and 500 grains. But today there's a contingent of folks, history be damned, who seem convinced that ethics is determined by a set of ratios, digital scale readings, or bevel counts. For a group so deeply rooted in our collective history, we sure seem selective about what we choose to remember.

So what's so special about 600-grain arrows? Nothing really.

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 05:59:00 AM »
Makes a lot of sense, I'll do some testing.
TOBY

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©