3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Applying Duco?  (Read 387 times)

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
Applying Duco?
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Duco cement is doing a fine job on my poly finished woodies, but what a pain to apply evenly on the fletching spine.  Anyone figured out a good way to apply a nice even bead on an fletching?  

I mashed the tip slightly, but doesn't seem to help much.  I usually end up smoothing out the glue with my finger......which sorta works.  Thanks for any suggestions.
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Online freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Applying Duco?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
I hate the tubes. No flow control. I empty my tubes into a small plastic glue bottle, and use a fine tip on the bottle. You can find them at any hobby store. Makes a huge difference. Nice fine bead and when you stop squeezing, the glue stops coming out.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
A nice light touch. I hold the tube horizontal and squeeze until it starts to flow then I just keep enough pressure to get the size bead I want as I go along the quill. When I get to the end I pinch the tube just right to suck the glue back into it. then I stand it up on end until I can get the cap on or get to the next fletch.
Another option is to get a little glue bottle and squirt the tube into that. I would thin my duco with laquer thinner to get a better flow as well. It will thicken if you let it set to long and you can bring it back with laquer thinner.
I got my bottle from Bob Burton but it seems I saw one in the 3R site.
Hope it helps.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
I use one of these bottles:
 http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1708-AA.shtml?lnav=tools.html
When I began applying glue with this bottle the quality of my arrows took a big jump upwards.
I have heard of people poking a hole in the Duco tube cap with a hot pin and using the resulting orifice to apply the glue. Cap it with the (cold) pin.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
I went to the hobby store, found a tiny bottle of white glue (about the size of a super glue bottle) emptied it out let dry and filled it up with Duco.  Simple and easy.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
I use a glue bottle too. Much more control
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I will definitely find myself a good glue bottle.  Two Tracks, thanks for the lacquer thinner tip.  I'll try that too.  Cheers all!

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
I never had a problem applying Duco.  I don't even smash the tip.  Just light sqeeze works well for me.

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 04:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by toddster:
I never had a problem applying Duco.  I don't even smash the tip.  Just light sqeeze works well for me.
Ditto.
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
I actually don't squeeze the tube.  I just "pour" the glue out, letting gravity move the glue.  Don't have as much problem getting too much glue this way.  May try the glue bottle idea though.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
I have the opposite problem....no matter what I do WAY too much duco comes out of the tube....

so I use fletching tape. I still want to put a dab on the front and back of the feather, and have to fight that tube of duco......

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
I use a small finish nail(tiny thin) and put a little heat on it and use the green cap and put a small hole in the green cap and use that. Put the nail in the hole when done with a small piece of duct tape over it. you get a nice thin line of glue.Oh and squeeze  from the bottom of the tube not the middle
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
That's a good idea Timothy,i'll have to try that.

Offline hart2hart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
I transfer Duco over to an empty eye drop bottle with a pointed tip.Occasionally have to clean out tip with a needle,but control over the flow is much greater than from the tube.
Hot in Texas!!
Mike

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
The small finish nail in the green cap works for me.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
They used to sell Glue Tips for Testors Model Glue tubes. Dont know exact tube end size, but it might be worth a shot too! They never clogged either, and were real easy to clean out when you were done.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
Tip for using the Duco... Stand the tube upright after each use. All the air and bubbles will rise to the top. Then squeeze out the air by rolling up the bottom. You'll have much better control.

The little glue bottles are a good idea. So is thinning the glue a little... thin until the glue "strings" a little when a drop is placed on fingertip and squeezed then spread apart slowly.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
I e-mailed ITW Consumer today asking about making an adapter for the Duco glue in a tube. Maybe they will respond by taking the request serious and making such an adapter. The tube glue on their website is referred to a carded glue, but they also make a bottle glue. However, in looking at the photo of the bottle on their site it was impossible to tell how large the opening would be on the dispenser. Maybe if everyone who uses the Duco product would send an e-mail requesting a smaller opening or adapter for the tubed product they might make a change beneficial to use.

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by RonD:
Maybe if everyone who uses the Duco product would send an e-mail requesting a smaller opening or adapter for the tubed product they might make a change beneficial to use.
Good idea Ron.  Maybe the "squeaky wheel" will get the grease.

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Update on e-mail: Recieved a response from ITW Consumer, the maker of Duco, to the effect that my suggestion for a smaller opening on the tube or that an adapter be included with the packaging has been sent to the Marketing people at ITW for review and consideration. From the way the e-mail read it seemed that they had no idea that their product was being used to fletch arrows. I do believe that if more of us e-mail them with a request for a smaller opening or an adapter for the tube that they will do what we ask.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©