3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow selection/tuning question  (Read 170 times)

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow selection/tuning question
« on: April 26, 2012, 02:08:00 AM »
Sorry if this should be on the Shooters Forum.  I shoot 400 axis arrows that are 29.5 inches long and have a 100 grain insert.  I shoot BH ranging from 125-150 and they all fly like a dart.  These arrows fly great out of multiple bows especially my 54lb pronghorn that is 62" long.  I have a 28" draw.  Now, I just bought an awesome blackfeather that is 45#@28 and is 64" long.  It shoots right where I'm focusing but there is a noticeable kick (fletching kicks to the right about 2-3 yards after it leaves the bow, I'm right handed).  I still have tuning to do but was curious if I could get these arrow to fly out of this setup.  I hate to be cheap but hoping to save on the wallet.  It was my choice to buy a lighter bow (a smart decision)just hoping to get these arrows to work.  Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow selection/tuning question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 05:26:00 AM »
More point weight is the easiest, maybe 250grs to give a total of 350grs on the front.  You might also try a high performance "skinny" string.  If you have a set of the .400 shafts that are full length, build them up with out cutting.  Might be some other tricks out there.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
yep, they are showing stiff as would be expected since the flew good out of a 9lbs heavier draw weight bow. Since you can't cut them any longer in length, heavier tip weight is the cheapest way to go, but then your going to be shooting way slower than you might want. There are cheap arrow opportunities out there, one of the reasons having your own fletching jig and arrow saw are nice, easier to experiment that way.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
The only way you are going to get those arrows to fly right is by shooting them with the 100 grain insert and at least a 250 grain point.
James Kerr

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
thanks for all the advice guys.  Does anyone recommend a carbon arrow/setup for a 45lb bow?  When I went to carbon arrows I chose axis and had a great bow shop with traditional people to help out.  I moved, and no such luck in my new town.  I don't own a jig or a saw but can find a saw if I want to experiment with lenght.  I would just like suggestions on a good starting point.  thanks again for all your help.

James
Wyoming

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
I would like a heavy arrow setup and am open abut BH weight.

thnx,
james

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
Throw a 50 or 100gr insert in a GT3555...

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
How far is your shelf cut from center?
James Kerr

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
Hey James, not sure how far my shelf cut is from center.  I've shot about 40 arrows thru the bow and have messed with brace a little but haven't checked the shelf cut.  Just checked Crow Creek's website but it doesn't say.  At work right now but will check it tomorrow.

Thanks James

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
I think it makes sense to shoot the same brand of arrow that you are now shooting, especially if you are happy with them. So I would get some Axis arrows in .500 or .600 spine. You may have to leave them full length or add more weight, depending on which spine you get.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©