3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you have regrets?  (Read 350 times)

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
Do you have regrets?
« on: April 26, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Thinking about selling my longbow I used to kill my first two animals.  I have tennis elbow issues, and will be switching to lower weight recurves.  Just wondering if you've ever wanted your first kill bow back regardless of its current value or if your able to even shoot it?

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you have regrets?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
Life is a journey, if you hold on to to much you never move forward.  

So Nope passed it to a younger guy starting out.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
Nope, would rather someone else be killin' with it, if I no longer can.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Well I just started out a couple of years ago and have never loosed an arrow at an animal yet, mostly because I have not been serious enough (can't say I had total confidence with the longbow before now)to get after them hard, but now I'm on a mission now.  

Hopefully I will shoot my new Toelke for a looooooooooong time.  When I do retire it, I think I'd rather see someone else enjoy it.  Think I'll give it away to some deserving person.

Having said that, if I did not/do not find a deserving soul, it will live on the rack forever.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Your the one who harvested the animals, not the bow.I know were y our coming from, but Iv' learned not to hold feelings for material things. ( of course I think most of us do )We should save the feelings for those we hold dear.Your neither right nor wrong. Its' all in the level of sentiment.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline coltar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Any family member to pass it down to?

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
I collect memories and pictures thats about it. I don't like to dust.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
Rob's right in my book.

An old man once told me (probably read it somewhere):

"POOR IS THE MAN WHOSE LIFE IS FILLED WITH NOTHING BUT THINGS!!!!!!!!"

Pay it forward, pass it on, whatever you call it, it's what gives meaning to your life.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
What have you done about your tennis elbow? When I had tennis elbow my doctor told me to use an elbow brace,can be found at most pharmacys for around $10 to $15.I used the elbow brace when shooting,helped greatly when shooting.Then I went online and looked up PT excercises for tennis elbow.I did the excercises with ice and rest,used the brace when shooting.My tennis elbow cleared up in a couple of months,didn't have to get any cortizone shots.That was a couple of years ago,hasn't been back and I still do the PT excercises.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
I had a pretty bow one time that I didn't shoot particularly well.  I remember telling my buddy to hurry up and sell it for me before I dorked around and killed something with it and it became part of the family.

There is a whole host of other stuff I can do without, but the few bows that I have killed things with are not among them.  Fortunately for my wife, I pretty much stick to the ones I have.

When I pick up an old bow that I have killed something with it talks to me...
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
I did have had regrets on a bow one time.  I'd used a bamboo backed osage bow to kill and elk one year and had hung it up after the season.  The next year I had a bit of bad luck with a new bow involving a truck door and decided to bring the old bow out of retirement and dressed it up with some snake skins.  

Yep it happened, I broke the bow shooting a few days before the hunt and took the glass bow I should have used instead.

I really wanted that BBO for the wall.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
I regret not starting out in the 35-45 pound range and staying there.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
I still own my 1st bow I ever killed with .I am NOT a sentemntel. I will buy a bow 1 week an sell it the next. however my frist bow was a northernmist long bow It is going to the grave with me. I will never sell it an I mean it has been said to my wife.It goes with me when I part this place.also I have a awsome shaffer silver tip this bow will NEVER be sold.It shoots lights out. It makes me look WAY better then I really am. this bow I will not take to the grave it is a true work horse! an needs to be shot for ever plus its too damn pretty.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
i don't even remember what my first kill bow was!  It was maybe a Bear Grizzly or maybe a Redwing Hunter. i have a couple of bows that i will probably never part with for sentimental reasons, but not because of the animals killed by them/me. But then catch me at the right time, and i might part with them too if you needed them worse than me.  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Sent a 62# Brackenbury to Iraq for the troops to use; took my first buck with it, but it got too heavy.  Haven't regretted it, but often wonder what became of that bow.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
I still own and hunt with the bow i killed my first deer with.. I have owned 16-17 bows and have no problems letting one go.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
I have always liked to try new bows, so I have never kept them very long.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Thanks all.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
I have lots of bows.....I have owned many more,still have not killed anything with any of them. So I guess it really don't matter to me.I would love to be able to have to make that decision....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 01:52:00 AM »
My first recurves, and my first deer were Right-Handed. I switched to LH shooting in 1996 so I wouldn't use them if I had them.

Once in a while I'm tempted to buy a Pearson Cougar when I see one because that was my first hunting rig. I terrorized chipmunks with it from age 13-15. I killed the first live deer I ever saw with it when I was 16.

The only bow I regret a little is a Fox High Sierra I sold or traded away (?) about 2 years ago.  It was my first re-entry into recurves after switching to the compound in 1975.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©