3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elevated Rest  (Read 334 times)

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
Elevated Rest
« on: April 27, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Who prefers to shoot off an elevated rest? I have 2 very nice longbows, but have come to prefer my 2 recurves w/ NAP centerests. I have tried my recurves off the shelf, but like the NAP. Thanks!
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Onlyaspike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elevated Rest
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
I prefer to shoot off my NAP Flipper centerrest...I believe it gives me more consistant flight and it maybe a little more forgiving than straight off the shelf.
Hoyt Gamemaster 2....APG Camo 45#

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Only-  One of my recurves is a Hoyt GM2. It has a 1/4" negative tiller, what's yours? I shoot 3 under, but got the bow pretty quiet. I like it.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
I have naps, wire flippers, bear weatherest and so on. Fred bear came up with the weatherest because of arrow flight issues. Most of my buddies, and I all shoot off elevated rests, get great arrow flight with a minimum of tuning,  and bows shoot about anything close to the  right spine, with 150-175 up front broadheads great, and 4 or 5" feathers great.
samuel koger

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
I use a Bear Weather Rest on my Schafer Silvertip recurve.  Shoots arrows lazer beam straight and is very forgiving of any hand torque.  I also use plastic vanes vs feathers on my arrows with this set up.  Allows me to hunt in any weather without issues.   I trim the bottom of the rest to get it right on the shelf.  Gets the arrow closer to my hand which I am more comfortable with.  I learned this tip from Barry Wensel.  He said he and Paul Schafer used their bows set up this way and it worked flawlessly for them.  I couldn't argue with their results!!  ~Steve

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
I use a feather rest on some of my bows............Trap, who posts here makes a great one

I have one on a new Schafer as well-works great

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
I use a Hoyt hunter (black) on my Herters. The shelve was flat so I figured I couldn't shoot off the shelve, but now I know how to remedy that but stay with the elevated. I don't feel any less trad. But I still shoot feathers because I was getting kicks with vanes.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
I started out with the Hoyt flipper style rest in the early 60's and still use them.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I shoot elevated rests on all my bows, with 5 inch vanes.

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
what SC said, Paul gave me my first Silvertip with a weather rest on it and I've never tried anything different. I shoot feathers but the arrows go straight and true. I've never even considered doing all that tuning stuff that drives folks crazy.
                    Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
I have never,   EVER had a bow shoot better off the shelf than off any kind of elevated rest.  Some shoot just dandy off the shelf, but I guarantee they will not shoot worse with a rest.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
I agree Steve, some bows do tune very nicely off the shelf while others can be a bit more difficult.  My buddy Allen Shafer and I like to tinker around with different strings, rest materials, silencers etc. to see what setup gives us the most consistency.  We compare notes back and forth just for fun.   Both of us believe bare shaft tuning is the way to go to find the perfect shaft setup.   On my silvertip off the shelf I can get decent bare shaft results at 15 yards, but little changes in release will affect the flight, sometimes quite a bit.  With a simple Bear weather rest everything changes.  I consistently get perfect flight with a bare shaft out to 30 yards.  As they say, nothing but nock!   Once I fletch up a shaft I know I'm getting the best flight possible.   I only shoot 50 lbs so good straight arrow flight real does help in both accuracy and penetration.     :thumbsup:

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
Thanks guys! Great feedback. I've noticed some recurves have a shorter sight window. If a weatherest were put on, there may not be much window. Has anyone had issue with this?

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
As mentioned, if you use a bear weather rest take and cut off the bottom part of the rest.  You will be cutting off about 1/4 of the arm that holds the arrow.  Put a piece of velcro on the shelf and than mount that rest right on top of the velcro.  You'll find that the arrow is only about 1/4 inch above the shelf.   By mounting this way you shouldn't run into much of arolem with the smaller sight windows.

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Hey guys, have any close up pics of your Tip set up with the Bear weather rest ?
Thanks,Jr.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
anyone have a pic of the bear weather rest? I would like to see what it is. Thanks.
>>>------John------>

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
My curve is set up with one. Actually I have set up all my bows with them, I really like how they work.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline usmc2444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
bjorn where did you get your feather rest cant find trap    thanks  stan

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
This is what i use a tooth brush rest virtually indestructable.

Offline Atennishu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
I saw on another post a " feather " rest, looked pretty interesting,  I kinda like the "toothbrush" rest too,  pretty neat idea
Boomer Sooner

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©