3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spring fling High Country Gobblers-Bird down!  (Read 410 times)

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
Spring fling High Country Gobblers-Bird down!
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
Well I haven't  haven't been out Turkey hunting at all!  Been holding off until I can hunt with my dad next weekend.  Well today I got caught up on everything I've been putting off, because fishing has been so good.  Looked at the clock 4pm, figured I'd pack in a blind and see if any birds were around.

Hit the trail head and started hiking, after about a mile with the double bull on my back I realized I needed to start working out!  I've been getting lazy over the cold months.Well I finally got to one of my favorite little benches and set up the blind.  

The view to the east

Got the blind organized and settled in.

Deer were everywhere and looked in good health.  Saw 10 during the sit.

Well as the sun started to set, I let a few yelps out.  No sooner did I set my slate down 4 different toms sounded off.  After a few more minutes I see 3 jakes down the draw, a few more yelps had them at four yards from the blind.  It was hard to do but I left them alone, they flew up in a tree about 60 yards from the blind.  One of the jake right before he flew into the roost.  

Then a bird gobbles right by the blind, game time.  I nock and arrow as a nice tom struts into view, about 30 yards away.  I draw pick a spot and send a simmons right over his back.  He takes off and lands in a tree 80 yards from the blind and the night is over.  I let it get real dark and slipped out with the birds in the tree.  Going to head back in the morning with the girlfriend, to see if she can get her first bird.  More to follow!

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spring fling High Country Gobblers-Bird down!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
Cool pics, good luck in the morning!   :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline tradhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »
Man,now it's times like that, that make it all worth while.
The wishbone will never replace the backbone.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Hey Adam been wondering what you been in to of late,
thanks for the update and good luck today
Make a life, not a living

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Good luck!  Hey, you should just leave that blind up all summer for September    :D

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
What a beautiful spot to hunt turkeys!!! Good luck!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Hey Jim, been busy fishing basically.  Did make a trip to Texas with some buddies and took a few hogs.  None with the recurve, got home and got ride of everything I own compound wise again lol.  Felt like I cheated myself with the compound, finally got to the point where I'm ok not killing something...........

Steve O deer are looking great!  The draw is coming up soon so hopefully I'll be giving you a good PM saying you got a few tags.  Been looking around a bit and found a few great places in 751 for you and your buddy.  

Ok back on track, this morning came way to early!  Hit the mountain around 430, got to the same spot as yesterday around 530.  Birds were way quiet, guessing because of the cold front.  They were slow out of the roost and paid no attention to my calling or Decoys.  Only heard 3 gobbles, did see a few smaller toms that my girlfriend would of gladly blasted but couldn't get them any closer then 60 yards.

A pic of a hen that apparently had a thing for my BTD.

Hen and the BTD in the same shot, with the ever present muleys

Some bucks that will hopefully not get nailed by the mountain lion thats been in the area lately.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
Great pics. Wishing you the best for the rest of your hunt. That is one awesome view.

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
those ARE great pics. looking forward to seeing more. looks like you guys have plenty of game over there!
Semper Fidelis

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
Great pics and story.  :)

Dan

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
The truck is headed up to the front range, now the turkey hunting is full force.  Any of you guys in the Denver area?

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Well after the 6 hour drive to the Denver area I was eager to get out and try to locate some birds.  Met up with my dad and it didn't take long to find a few toms.  Watched them fly up to the roost, then hit the hay.  

First morning out we had issues do to a little berm that the birds just did not want to cross.  Did take a few pics of this guy, who ended up being a bird that I had my sights on.  He acted is if he owned the fields and did hesitate to gobble at just about anything!
 We let the birds get out of sight an repositioned the blind for the evening.  Two hours before dark he came out and gave us a show.  I was able to get him into range, with my dad being up to shoot first.  The old guy gave him two shots resulting in two misses.  Here he is

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Again we let the birds get into the roost, and moved the blind to give the now educated birds a new look.  

Got up extra early and was in the blind well before light.  I set up my jake decoy on top of the hen to change it up.  As the dark gave to light all was quiet.  I grabbed a slate and gave out a few yelps, right away 4 birds gobbled back.  Followed up with a few purs and set back and waited.  About 5 minuted passed and I see two toms coming down the opposite side of the berm, not allowing them to see the decoys.

When the birds cleared the berm, they saw the decoys and instantly went into strut and by the time I nocked an arrow they were within 30 yards.  The birds closed the last 25 yards dragging there wings on the ground (I love this!)  When the lead bird stepped out into the window of the blind 5 yards away I drew and picked a spot.  When I let the string slip, he jumped in the air landing on his back.,

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
WOW!  Great pics and can't wait to hear more.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Great shooting and hopefully your dad has some luck roll his way.  Good shooting on the bird.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
After the shot my dad was able to get a shot at the other but the alert tom was to fast.  While we were waiting for the rest of the birds to get over the ridge allowing us to get out of the blind, this little guy showed up.  
He also liked my decoy setup as he stood next to them for over 2 minutes.    

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
When the rest of the birds cleared we got out and I was able to finally collect my biggest merriam turkey (bow is 60 inches nock to nock.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
And the hero shot of the bird and me.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Beautiful bird!!!   :clapper:    :clapper:

I love turkey hunting.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Great job   :clapper:
Howard Hill Cheetah

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©