3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting ready for elk hunt  (Read 410 times)

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting ready for elk hunt
« on: April 28, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
ArkyBob and I are getting ready for our Colorado elk hunt in September. We are doing some things differently this year. We're not renting a pack horse this time so we'll be carrying everything we need in on our own backs.

What does this mean?
We go lighter.
We try new cooking and food items.
We carry our own individual smaller tents instead of one large one.

So I've been eating several Mountainhouse meals and just today tried Starbucks VIA instant coffee. It's actually pretty darn good. We've always used Folgers single serve bags since most instant coffees don't taste good at all. I may have just found my new single cup coffee.

The Jetboil Flash system is awesome. I've been heating all my water for the MH meals with it. I am now up to 23 cups of water boiled on this 3.53 oz. canister and still going (I've had 5 more cups since taking this picture this morning.)  :coffee:
It said to expect 12 cups of boiled water. what does this mean to me? I can take one canister in the system (it fits inside the cup) and only one extra and that should easily last all week in the mountains. I realize the altitude will change my home results but 2 new canisters should be good insurance.

MOUNTAIN HOUSE MEALS (results so far)
GOOD:
Bacon&eggs
Chili Mac w/ beef
Lasagna w/ beef sauce  
Beef stroganoff w/ noodles
Beef stew
Spaghetti w/ meat sauce
Sweet & sour pork w/ rice

BAD:
Chicken breast & mash potatoes

We both shoot 58" Shrews and almost identical arrows so spare parts (in the event of broken arrows or a cut string) wont be a problem. He has a 54" Shrew as backup and I have a 60" Griffin as mine.

Any good ideas you have please pass them on. We'd love to hear about them.
Romans 8:28

Offline M Sights

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting ready for elk hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Even though he shoots a wheel bow, check out Cameron Hanes " Backcountry Bowhunting" published by Eastman's. It is a great book.

I would add some Cliff Bar's to your pack,too.

Good luck & post some pic's w/ your 6 X 6.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Definitely have Clif bars, etc. The MH are mainly for supper only. Lunches are typically salmon or tuna in the foil packs. Breakfasts are generally instant oatmeal and a cup of coffee.

I'll have to check the book out. This will be our 6th (?) trip so we've got a lot of things ironed out. Just some changes in camp strategies mainly this year.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
I read a great idea on another thread about dehydrating baby wipes for packing in, then re-hydrating as needed to save a little weight.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Bruce,

Do you have an estimate of what your pack will weigh? How many days will you be hunting?

You will certainly be packing the right bows for the job...I'm a new, Shrew bow lover...I just got an older, used one, from the classifieds and it is the sweetest thing ever.

Preparing for a trip like your's is a lot of fun...sound's like you've learned a bunch about, "don't needs and must haves". Looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks,
Lyle
Ps 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
A few wraps of duct tape around a plastic water bottle is a life saver.  Just an FYI my Jetboil doesn't boil water higher then 10,000 not sure if its just mine or not though?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Yep, been using the Starbucks Via the Starbucks last couple of years and I also use one of their barristas to prepare it for me;-)

David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
You guys are going to have so much fun! Don't forget the camera and break in your boots!!   :archer2:

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
For coffee you might try something called Medaglia Dora, it's an instant espresso.  It comes in a little glass jar, I get mine at the grocery store. It's not cheap but probably cheaper than Starbucks. I just put some in a ziploc for trips and mix it to taste for coffee.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
I think the altitude will affect the heating more than you think, I would take the extra fuel for sure.
 Good luck on the hunt!
Mike

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
Love BP hunting.  Have a trip planned to chasr bears on MT in Sept. While.some buddies chase elk.  Can't get here soon enough!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
I'm jealous!
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Man that sounds like you will have a fine trip. Do you know the area? Anyway, do remember that if those Shrews shoot good then you have to pack it all out. Seems to me that elk have an uncanny way of going into the next draw and down to the bottom when their hit. Used to dread the call from a friend; "Hey I got an elk, can you come help pack it out" But it really isn't that bad, good luck and have a ball.
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 02:55:00 AM »
What exactly is your system? I've been doing some backpack trips the past couple years and been trying to go as light as possible. Don't know what your gear is, but I can point you in some good directions if you're looking at saving some weight.
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
I had a coworker tell me about those just before our elk trip last year, they sure tasted good out there. You're going to have a great trip, good luck and keep us posted.
-Jay

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
Don't forget first aid.  Superglue and duct tape are good things to bring. Also what is your water filtration? I like to bring Crystal Lite for flavoring the H20.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
A big difference between a pack in and a backpack in hunt is how far you go in.  With pack animals, distance isn't much of a problem.  Need to be more aware of it when you backpack in.  Really only becomes a problem if/when you kill something.  Getting an elk out will take at least two trips with hefty packs for each hunter.  

One thing I've done as I've gotten older ( and perhaps a bit smarter) is to arrange for a packer with horses before the hunt. Then when we get an animal, it's a walk out for one of us to call the packer. For those who use cellphones and GPSs, it might even be possible to call the packer from the mountain and give him the coordinates of the dead animal.  Now that's getting pretty decadent.   ;)  Have fun. Good luck.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Dehydrating baby wipes. Hmm, not so sure about that. I usually carry 10 or so individual Wet-Wipes. I guess if you're really counting grams that would be a great idea.

Not sure what our packs will weigh. I'm guessing somewhere between 35 & 50 at the absolute most. We'll have 5 full hunting days. Maybe 6 depending when we're able to get out of Arkansas. There are a few things we take that aren't necessary but make life on the mountain much more comfortable.

We won't be over 10,000. Generally only 8-9,000 so hopefully the Jetboil will work OK. Which type do you have, gehrke?

I'll have to look for that and try it, chinook.

Mike, definitely taking two new canisters. We should boil somewhere around 20 cups over the course of the hunt. I'm up to 27 cups on this canister now after coffee this morning. So surely we can get 20 cups out of 2 canisters at altitude.

If we get to pack an elk or two out we'll have to go in to town anyway so resupply shouldn't be a problem.

Shane, go ahead and post up some of your weight saving ideas. That's kinda what I started this thread for. I'd love to hear em. Don't know that we really have a "system" per se but we've honed and thinned our lists over the years.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Didn't notice page 2   :)  

Water filtration is a Katadyn gravity type. I forget the name right now. We have pump types but likely won't take them in this year (though they will be in the truck) since we fell in love with the gravity on the last trip. We also carry sanitizer tablets. The flavoring packets are great. First aid's always in our backpacks.

Going without the horse will certainly be different this year. We're hoping to contact the landowner just off the public land and pay an access fee to drive our truck to his gate. Then it will only be a mile and a half walk on a road to camp instead of a 4-1/2 mile hike through the mountains.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
Getting ready again myself , what tent are yall looking at. We have one man tents and dont care for em , will be getting 2-man tents this year. So we can keep our gear inside and cook if weather is bad.I spend a month in Idaho after elk every year and backpack in for a week then out and hunt with friends on private land a week. Then back in a week then back out a week. My pack is always around 50# , also use the jetboil ( its great ) , love my walking poles ( never used em until last year now you wont catch me without one in each hand ).Getting a Marmot Helium this year and a better ground pad also. With the snow as of now looks like we are going to have a great elk season. Good luck for all this year , keep the ideas rolling about gear ect. I know there are old threads on this stuff but more is always better...........
,,,,Sam,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©