3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting ready for elk hunt  (Read 409 times)

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting ready for elk hunt
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
We're looking at 2 man tents. I never even considered a 1 man. I'll carry an extra pound or two for more room. Right now MY front runner is a Kelty Salida 2. Carry weight is at 4-1/2 lbs. and well under $200. I don't use one often enough to justify $4-500 for one pound less. I think I'd really like one with two vestibules, though. The LLBean Microlight FS is a strong contender, too. It's carry weight is about the same though the website shows minimum weight only.

Our sleeping bags are pretty light. We'll go to a thinner pad than our 3"ers. 1-1.5" or so. You gotta sleep comfortable!!

50 pounds is closer to where I was figuring for the initial walk in. Always wondered about the walking/trekking poles.
Romans 8:28

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
The trekking poles are great , One is good two is outstanding , dont get the screw-loc ones get the lever-loc , I dont know much but I saw 2 of the screw locking ones break ( not the pole but the locking screw adjustment ) and the aint no good if you cant adjust your length.
,,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
Doing the same thing in Wyoming this year. Cant wait!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
Then it will only be a mile and a half walk on a road to camp .........

If that were the case, I'd have to take a cooler on a game cart   :readit:    :)

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
I helped my buddy pack his elk out last year...2 trips 4 miles each...it was the first time I'd used poles...I'm sure they saved me from falling several times when going over logs with my short legs.

Lyle
Ps 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Great choices on your Mountain House packets.  I used them last year in Colorado and enjoyed them a lot.  Good luck on your elk hunt!     :thumbsup:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Barney:
Then it will only be a mile and a half walk on a road to camp .........

If that were the case, I'd have to take a cooler on a game cart    :readit:      :)  
NOT A BAD IDEA AT ALL!!   :campfire:

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
[QUOTE...Any good ideas you have please pass them on. We'd love to hear about them. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Look into a Steripen water sterilizer, even if you already have a filtration system. If where you go has clear water sources, and most Colorado watersheds are full of clear running seeps, rivlets and creeks, a Steripen is WAY smaller and just as effective as any filter you can carry.

I never carry a filter anymore.

If you hunt where all the water will be cloudy, which is actually pretty uncommon out here,  then a filter is necessary. The Steripen does not work effectively when water is like lemonaid in clarity.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
I will again be doing a packin elk hunt myself I will change a couple things this year but this is what I used last year and I will tell you the change this year. KUIU 6000 5 lb, Mont bell UL super spirel 15deg down sleeping bag 2 lb 2 oz, Therarest pillow 6OZ, big agness insulated air pad 2 lb 6 oz, Big agness Fly Creek II 2 person tent 2 lb 10 oz, foot print 5oz, Kytidyn Hiker pro 11 oz, Soto Microregulator stove 3oz I think a small and 4oz fuel. Now last year my goal was 1 lb of food per day and I reached my goal I took 2 dehydraded meals, beer jerky, small snickers bars and powder drink mix for each day. I took one pair extra socks and undies washed them there, base layer top and bottom, shirt, Russell outdoors APX Gale jacket, Zephyr pants, Cyclone rain jacket, Marrmot UL down jacket 15 0z, and hats and gloves, Soloman 4d GTX boots. Yes I took hunting gear and emergancy gear O ya and a 1/2 inch foam pad for on top of my air pad it helps keep you warm and if you get a hole you can't repair on the ground. I will get a lighter air pad this year but I will do it the same this year my pack was 45 lbs for 10 day hunt. I am going for a few less days this year and hope to have a lighter pack this year.   Widow

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
You should check out the backpack hunting forum on 24hourcampfire.  Tons of good advice and several of us tradgangers hang out there as well.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Just wanted to update you on the Jetboil and Mountain House count.

Add Chicken Teryaki w/Rice to the "GOOD" list.
The Jetboil is now up to 33 cups of water boiled on the one 3.5 oz. canister. I can tell it's getting slower but still burnin'.

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
My son and I have been doing this for the past few years.  Well, for me, the last 2.  He's been doing it longer.  The Jet Boil is great.  We're able to keep packs going in to under 50# usually.  

But for meals, this year we're augmenting our Mountain House with Ramen noodles.
Steve

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Careful with the chicken terryaki.  I had one last year and it gave me the worst indegestion of my life, and I never have stomach issues like that.  I really like to add a couple of knorr noodle packs.  My favorite, though not the lightest is a alfredo noodles knorr pack using powdered milk, boiling water and a foil pack of chicken.  After a few days of mountain house meals its nice to have something that taste like real food.  I usually eat Patrick Smith's "wild casserole" for lunch.  A google search should find it on the Kifaru board.

Offline FatherOfGnute

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
We are talking about mixing in some BP days this season.  In our unit you can get away from the crowds in just a couple miles - seems like a lot of folks are afraid to leave the trails.

I still use my old MSR whisperlite... but I have been eyeballing the jetboil for a while now.  I like how well they pack up.

Favorite lunch on the hill - Whole Grain tortillas, peanut butter and bacon.  Sounds gross,  and honestly I don't eat it at home - but there's just something magical about it on the mtn!  

Have FUN and good luck!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
Father, add honey to your tortilla combo and you have one of my favorites....

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Been stepping up the workouts, cutting down on breads, dairy, and beer. Biking or hiking every evening for that last couple of weeks. I'd like to drop to an honest 175, I'm 180 now.

I'm using the Badlands 2200 and like it so far. I'll be in Wyoming this fall. CAN'T WAIT! I did 5.5 miles with 30 lbs yesterday, picked up my bow and drill the 3D deer from 27 yards with three arrows.

My boots are Asolos. Pretty stiff but they feel the best out all the others I tried.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©