3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toelke whip vs Martin Savanah  (Read 501 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Toelke whip vs Martin Savanah
« on: April 28, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Hello,

I have a 62" martin Savanah.

I'm thinking of picking up a 62" Toelke Whip.
Aside from wood choices etc, ..
What differences might I see in shock, speed, smoothness etc..

Thank you very much!   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toelke whip vs Martin Savanah
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Twice as fast, twice as smooth, "shock" what shock?  Only thing you'll here with a whip is the arrow hitting whatever you shoot at.  Go 64", you'll thank me later...

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
Twice as fast, twice as smooth, "shock" what shock?  Only thing you'll here with a whip is the arrow hitting whatever you shoot at.  Go 64", you'll thank me later...
X2
I have a 62" HS, a 64" and a 66" all three at 53 lbs. All of them draw smooth to my draw length,29.5".  I would say that the 64" feels 1 pound lighter and the 66" feels 2 pounds lighter in terms of draw weight. I mainly target and 3d shoot with the 66" and do most of my hunting with the 62".  Plus, you will be hard pressed to find nicer people than the Toelke's.  Dan will send you a bow to try out, just give him a call he will steer you in the right direction.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
I own a number of Whips and have shot a couple of Savannas. They are not a bad bow at all but they are "production bows". Dan Toelke will craft a custom bow to your specs. with a grip made from a tracing of your hand. As Brad has noted there will be no shock and I mean none, it will be smooth-drawing and ridiculously quiet. Don't know about speed from a Savanna but my 57 lb. 62" Classic Whip chronographs a 665 grain arrow at a consistent 167 f.p.s.

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
Whips are fast, but so is the Martin.  Whips are smooth, but so is the Martin.  It boils down to what you like.  Both are quiet if tuned correctly and both are tame with the same tuning.  I would bet that there isn't any fps difference if in the two, or at least not enough to say so.

With that said, I really like the whip.  If it weren't for Maddogs that is what I would be shooting cause they just hit where you look, period.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
Hard to beat a Whip, but I'm biased.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 01:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jim Wright:
I own a number of Whips and have shot a couple of Savannas. They are not a bad bow at all but they are "production bows". Dan Toelke will craft a custom bow to your specs. with a grip made from a tracing of your hand. As Brad has noted there will be no shock and I mean none, it will be smooth-drawing and ridiculously quiet. Don't know about speed from a Savanna but my 57 lb. 62" Classic Whip chronographs a 665 grain arrow at a consistent 167 f.p.s.
Sounds like the speed is right in line with my savannah.

I haven't ever been able to quite get rid of all the sound or vibes though.
...that would be a very nice improvement.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 01:51:00 AM »
Thanks for the info so far everyone!

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
I have seen a bunch of production bows and about 3 whips.

I have seen about 3 Whips and a bunch of Custom Bows.

The 3 Whips I have seen, and shot, are some of the finest bows out there.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline BSBD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
I had a Whip and a Savanna, same length and similar weight. They were equal in speed with very little hand shock. The Whip was very nice in finish but not better than the Savanna.

There night be far more Savanna's produced but they are still built by hand, one at a time and can be ordered with custom woods.

I have a couple of other bows I like better right now but would go with a Savanna if I had to pick one over the other, especially considering price.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
I've owned both and prefer the Whip by a wide margin. I am not real concered with speed and don't know the difference between the two in that catergory. I prefer the Whip because of the smoothness, ease of tune and quiet, shock free feel of the shot.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
The Whip is an amazing bow, you will not regret it if you get one in the specs you prefer. I have not found another bow to be as quiet as the Whip so far...I think other longbows can be tuned to match the Toelke, but not exceed it. The Whip is one of the finest bows out there.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
You should be "WHIP'd"!  When it came to looking for my first new bow, I shot many including the Savannah and the Whip.  If you feel the Sav. is your bow (right for you in every respect), then you should shoot it and be happy.  If it suits you to get the Whip, you will NOT be disappointed.  Sure the Whip is a bit more cash, but how much is your satisfaction worth?  or your accuracy?  Dan and Jared Toelke know how to make you the bow that will work for you.  They are great people and both great bowyers.  A few shots and you will be "Whip'd".  But with all bows, shooting is the name of the game.  If you can shoot one, DO IT.
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
A used whip is less than a new savannah  :)

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
I just got done shooting my Whip. I really like mine. I have shot both. Both are good bows but I like my Toelke more.

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Ive had 3 whips ..., been to dans shop 2 times.. imho ITS THE BEST RD BOW MADE...UNREAL SMOOTHNESS AND SPEED ...TOTALY QUIET.

sorry about the caps lock,  anyway...Dan is as they say ...The Man.  Jared his son is learning from the master.

you simply cannot go wrong....

GET ONE !!!!
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by MT Longbow:
Ive had 3 whips ..., been to Dans shop 2 times.. IMHO ITS THE BEST RD BOW MADE...UNREAL SMOOTHNESS AND SPEED ...TOTALY QUIET.

sorry about the caps lock,  anyway...Dan is as they say ...The Man.  Jared his son is learning from the master.

you simply cannot go wrong....

GET ONE !!!!
Craig Ekins;

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
sorry, my comp. acting up with multiple post replies
Craig Ekins;

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Never shot a Savannah, but I have shot a few Whips and in fact I shot a Classic HS Whip (Dan's new invention) and I can tell you, if the grip suits you (by the way it suits me just fine), you will not find a better bow.

Do you need one? NO,

Should you get one, ABSOLUTELY!

You at least owe yourself to shoot one.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
I had a 60" whip and pulled it to 28 1/2" and it still was smooth as butter. Best longbow ive shot. I shot a Savannah at a local shop and liked it, but in my opinion the whip was a class above.
Not bad to look at either!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©