3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need advice on testing various footing lengths  (Read 213 times)

Offline Don_G

• Trad Bowhunter
Need advice on testing various footing lengths
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
I'd like to do an arrow tune, but in reverse from the usual. I want to make a heavy head/high FOC setup, and would like to tune one from "too stiff to too weak" using a series of ever-shorter footers until it's too weak, then trim the arrow for the final tune.  The 400 grain head assembly is so far outside of normal I'm not sure where to start.

I want to go this direction because the arrows I'm using are only 32" full length and I have a 29.5" draw, so there's not much trimming range.

This method will obviously be painfully tedious, but to make it practical at all I need some easily removable temporary glue for the footer.  Will the normal hot melt glue turn loose at a temperature that does not damage the carbon shaft under the aluminum footer?

Is there a better way to do this?   :help:
Don G
66" ACS CSX 58# at my 29.5" draw, 30.5" BOH
Ashby disciple

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need advice on testing various footing lengths
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Good luck. I bet the footing will be way longer than you expect it to be to make a difference.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
What draw weight do you plan on setting up for? I have 360 grains up front of my GT 7595's at 32" with no footing at all. I draw 31" and my bow is 55@28".
As for glue...you could try saran wrap(like one does with inserts) as a compression fit and poke a hole in it to insert your point.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Low temp hot melt. Its blue in color and can be had at 3rivers.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
Don we have played with that to try and change the spine of the arrow and its quite tricky and it will take a long footing before you notice any difference. eg 10" + it was just not practical.

So then we tried to sleeve the center of the shaft, with a section of footing.
E.g marked the center point of the arrow. then sleeved it with say 4" of the alu footing, having 2" each side of center. This stiffened the arrow but its also not practical at all.

So then we played with internally doing the same thing, with some of those really skinny target carbons, tricky to do but it can work, Adds a bit of weight so you loose some of your EFOC.

Are you shooting Trad bow or Compound? what are the specs, there are also things you can do to the bow to tune an arrow to it.  I have a compound set up, thats 80lbs at 28" and its tuned to a 30" Kenetic .200 big game shaft, with 100gr brass insert and 300gr VPA head.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
The blue stuff is called cool flex. Absolutely great stuff. Boiling water is all it takes to get soft again. I use it for tuning arrows as you can reheat it and out it comes with no damage to arrow or insert.  Please post your results. I'm in a similar boat and will need to foot some arrows soon.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline Don_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
I'm an engineer (I know, I know, but I try to make sense every now'n'then.)  

I'm gonna try going to longer footings on the 300 spine Axis ST arrows I already have.  The arrows are for the ACS CSX in my sig. I'm forced to use .204 ID arrows that I can foot to 5/16 OD by the broadhead design.

Cool flex sounds like just what I need.  I'll share the results, whether they make sense or not!
Don G
Ashby disciple

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
Also Don,  Victoryarchery make a VAP 250 arrow  which is a .250spine micro diameter shaft, if you need something in-between the .300s and the .200s
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Don_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
Yep, Andy, I've looked that one up. I think you could use an 1817 and a 2013 to bring that one up to the correct OD at the tip. That 250 might be a good bet for many trad shooters in the 45-60 lb range that want high FOC. There is no custom insert for that one, but I think a careful man could get an 8-32 cap screw with the head cut off to work.  They are available in Grade 8, so thread strength would not be an issue.
Don G
Ashby disciple

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©