3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I finally got the "Turkey Monkey" off my back!  (Read 693 times)

I finally got the "Turkey Monkey" off my back!
« on: April 29, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Well I finally got the "Turkey Monkey" off my back! My lease is covered up with turkeys but, for whatever reasons, I have not been able to bag one for the last couple years. I went down there for one last chance at them last week (the season ended today 4/29). On Wednesday morning I shot a good little 82# BBQ boar, at 9:45 in the morning. I don't know what he was doing out and about that late in the morning but it was a bad decision for him. Here is a pic of the little boar:

Then on Wednesday afternoon I finally had a few gobblers come around. I got a shot at a nice tom and skewered him from end to end. He must have turned a bit as I released because the arrow did not go through and across his body as I had planned but rather it was all pretty much on one side of him. He wobbled off with my arrow and I could never find him. At this point it felt like the Monkey was actually a 500lb gorilla positioned squarely on my shoulders! I was pretty perturbed at this whole situation. I went back to the same blind on Thursday morning to see nothing all morning long.

On Thursday afternoon, I decided to try a different blind just to get some different scenery. I got to the blind at about 4:45pm and found that my resident pack rat had decided to build a nest in my blind that covered up the seat of my chair. Well, I said a few choice words and proceeded to shove all the stuff out of the way so I could sit in the chair. All of a sudden the rat came running out of the pile and it was on! I chased him around the blind and was finally able to dispatch him so he can no longer make residence in my pit blind. Here is a pic of the little feller:

After all that commotion I was wondering to myself what the heck I was doing. There was surely no way I was going to see anything after all the ruckus and it was VERY HOT!!!! None the less, I sat down in my chair to wait it out.

A while later I was sitting there when I caught some movement out the window and, to my surprise, it was a bunch of pigs.....at 5:30 in the afternoon! There were two nice sows and a bunch of shoats. I picked out one of the sows and waited for her to present a shot. When she did, I drew back and let one fly. WHOOPS, I thought I was back from Australia! I sent that one high and bounced it off the top of her back and the arrow stuck in a cactus behind her.

I sat there in my chair wondering if those Aussies (just kidding Clint, Mick, and Luke) had put some kind of aboriginal voodoo curse on me or something while I was over there!

I had not even got done cussing under my breath at myself when I again caught some movement out of the window. I looked up to see a turkey hen about 10yds in front of me. I got back in ready mode and was waiting on the gobbles. Surely they were right behind her, right? I watched the hen scratch and peck her way in front of me and then off through the woods she went.

Surely the toms were right behind her RIGHT!!!!!

I waiter for a while and no other critters emerged. I said to myself "Well' I guess it was just not meant to be" and unnocked my arrow and set my bow down beside me. About 2 or 3 minutes passed and I looked up and there they were! Three gobblers coming in right toward the blind. I quickly got everything back to ready state and when the first one got to about 11yds. I let the string slip from my fingers. The arrow hit perfectly and the Tom did a half back flip and was down right where he had been hit! Finally, that Turkey Monkey was off my back! Here is a pic of my gobbler:

I went and retrieved my bird and got back in the blind. I was sitting there with that big grin on my face (all of y'all who have bagged game with a traditional bow know what I am talking about) when it hit me! There was a reason that I missed that litte sow 20 minutes earlier. If I had shot that sow I would have been tracking her and never seen the gobblers. It is funny how things always work out in the end!

I sat there with that big stupid grin on my face for the next 45 minutes when, once again, I see critters. More pigs! This time it was 3 nice sows and a gaggle of piglets. One of the sows was a cool looking brown color. We don't get too many pigs that are not black so she was now the only one I wanted to shoot. After milling around for a while, crunching on the hand thrown corn I had tossed out in front of the blind, the brown girl finally gave me a shot. I let another arrow go and watched a complete pass through and they all exploded and skeedaddled out of there. My first impression was that the shot was good but maybe just a tad high. I got out of the blind to inspect the arrow and it looked awesome. There was also a good blood trail starting right where the pig had been hit. Because I thought I may have been a little high, I decided to wait a bit before looking for her. After about 15 more minutes I could not stand it any more and started on the trail. It was a short one and the pig lay dead about 30-40yds away. As I had thought, the shot was just a tad higher than I was aiming but still low enough to be a great shot. here is a pic of the 90# brown sow:

And here is another of the pork and fowl together:

All I can say is this was "One of Those Days" where nothing can go wrong. I had taken two critters on an afternoon hunt and had them both in the cooler before dark! I had an awesome hunt and can't wait for my next outing into the woods.

See everyone later,

Bisch

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I finally got the "Turkey Monkey" off my back!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
Congradulations!! Hap

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
thats pretty cool,congratts   :thumbsup:

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Nice shooting, your a killing machine!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
Outstanding Bisch. Congrats.RC

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
What's your setup?  Congrats!  That monkey is still on my back and poops down my leg every time I miss another one!    :p
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by BRONZ:
What's your setup?  Congrats!  That monkey is still on my back and poops down my leg every time I miss another one!     :p  
This was out of homemade ground blinds. I shoot through netting in the windows.

Bisch

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
Great hunt !

Congrats on the turkey and sow..

Offline Ottawa Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
What an awesome hunt! Congrats!!
St. Joe River Bow 58" Longbow 48# @ 28"

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Well done...........
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Bisch, you miscounted it was 4 critters, packrat, pork, gobbler, and monkey!  :bigsmyl:  I've never had packrat or wild pork, but gobbler and monkey is plenty tasty! Congratulations. What bow, broadhead and arrow set-up?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
Bisch, you miscounted it was 4 critters, packrat, pork, gobbler, and monkey!     :bigsmyl:     I've never had packrat or wild pork, but gobbler and monkey is plenty tasty! Congratulations. What bow, broadhead and arrow set-up?
Mike, I shot the boar with my Sarrels Blueridge takedown longbow (50# @ 29 1/2"), GT 55/75 arrows, and 150gr GK Silverflame XL Broadhead.

I shot the gobbler and sow with my Sarrels Bobcatt TD takedown recurve (50# @ 29 1/2") and the same GT 55/75 arrow. The gobbler was taken with a GK Silverflame DS (1 7/8" width) broadhead and the sow with the GK Silverflame XL broadhead.

Also, if you have never had wild pork, you are missing out! It is really good. if you notice, almost all of the pigs I shoot are small (under 100lbs). The reason for this is because the small ones eat WAY better.

Bisch

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
:thumbsup:   Congrats!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
What a hunt Bisch.....and really glad to hear you finally connected on a Gobbler.  

You add anything to the bucket list at the banquet last night?
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
Good job brother!!!

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
Dandy!    :thumbsup:

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Beautiful bows and deadly arrow combos! Congratulations.  :notworthy:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Hogs and Turkeys in the same day? Sounds like too much fun.

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
That's just very cool...wishing you many more smiles in your future.
Ps 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©