3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ticks and MSM  (Read 469 times)

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
Ticks and MSM
« on: April 29, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
With the Spring turkey season about to kick off here in NYS, I had a question about ticks.  I use different things to keep ticks off of me, but have about MSM.  It is usually paired up with Glucosamine and Chondroitin in supplement form.  Supposedly, the MSM, which is a form of sulphur will repel the ticks from your skin. I heard it takes about 2 months of using the supplement to work effectively.  Has anyone tried this?  I know it's too late to try it now for the Spring season, but maybe something to think about.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ticks and MSM
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
This would be nice to know.  :help:    :help:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Great question... I understand that they are really getting to be a problem in New York... when I was a kid ( a long time ago), we never heard of them. Hope someone will educate us Northerners who have little experience with them.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
A supplement would be good, but what would the long term affects of using be, and for those on certain cardiac or other medical meds is there a compatibility factor involved.

Until then just use Sawyers on your clothes it works great.Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ruff Hewn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
I've used a Hatrz Flea and Tick Collar before. Seemed to work for me. I put it around my leg.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Been Googling-there definitely seems to be something to this. Wondering if the amount in the Glucosamin is enough? And maybe repel other insects too?

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
I don't know what it is. Maybe the end is coming and they are a plague thing, but they are terrible here in SW Pa. NEVER saw a tick on me or our dogs until a couple of years ago. Now they're everywhere. Heck if there was a pill I could take I would!
Glenn

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
I have taken Glucosimine, condrotin, and MSM for many years now to help with sore joints.  I have not really thought of it until now, but I have not found a tick on me in quite sometime.  Interesting.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Sawyers is a good solution in the meantime  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
This may be a little off topic, but a few years ago a friend of a friend of a friend of mine came up with an insect repelling patch (like a nicotine patch). Last I heard he was trying to patent it, but I havent seen or heard nothin since. I believe he told me they were packed with some form of B vitamin or somethin. The guy was in the medical field some kind of way. Anyway, i tried a couple on a fishin trip, and it seemed to help keep the skeeters from biting me. They weren't absolutely 100% effective, but did seem to work well enough to consider using. Maybe these were based on the same idea as far as what was actually in em? Sorry if I butted in..    :knothead:
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Not sure if it has to do with anything,  but I do alot of strength training....have for years.   Been taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement for YEARS as a joint health/preventive messure for the stress my joints and connective tissue are subjected to from training.  These supplements are proven to promote joint health and are deemed safe.  I've spent lots of time in the field....have had lots of tics on me.  NEVER been bit yet to date (nock on wood!)  Maybe Im just lucky,  coincidence,  whatever?   This would be great to know about though.....and even greater if it were true!  Tics are just plain NO GOOD   :mad:

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Best thing for ticks is to properly treat your clothes with Permanone (pyrethrin.) ArkyBob and I were in our "hidey hole" waiting for a turkey a couple weeks ago and he was getting eaten up. I didn't have even one tick on me. Needless to say, he sprayed his clothes when we got back to camp.
Romans 8:28

Offline Atennishu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
The pyrethrin is really a good product, and you can get it in a synthetic formula also,  and not toxic to humans,  we spray it on our range here, and although we dont get them all, it thins them out,
As far as the MSM I have not heard of this, but I know a guy that feeds his dog and him a teaspoon of brewers yeast every day with food, and he swears it keeps the fleas and ticks off the dog and him, ?????
Boomer Sooner

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
I don't know it for a fact but I have hunted quite a bit in the deep South, where the Brazilian fire ant is well established, and I don't recall being hit by a tick.    Chiggers are another story but I think the fire ants keep them in control.

I'm accustomed to fire ants but ticks....never.

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
I understand MSM can also be purchased as an independent supplement, if anyone wants to go that route............may be cheaper than in a combination.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »
I've been taking msm for a couple of years and have yet to get bit by a tick, 1000mgs a day. It will not repel mosquitos, they still like me as much as ever.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
I don't know if MSM will keep off the ticks but I have some MSM cream that I use when I get stung by wasps. I just put a gob on the red mark from the wasp and within five minutes, no pain at all and the red mark is gone. MSM is very helpful to a lot of people for arthritis and joint maintenance. But it can have a side effect on some people (I'm one). It can give you diarrhea. So I use glucosamine and chondroitin without the MSM. I read a whole book on just MSM. MSM is DMSO that has been brought to a boil which adds a molecule of oxygen. DMSO was brought out in the sixties as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory. It never made it through the FDA because of lack of funding. The people who were pushing it abandoned it. You can now buy it at feed stores. It is used to treat horses with sore joints. It only costs about five bucks for a pint. Gary

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Ticks started up early this year due to the mild winter--dogs were coming in with them most days. The recent cold snap seems to have slowed them down. A tick collar called "preventic" works very well--for humans? Long sleeves and tied-up pants legs, a thorough scrub in the shower after hunting.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Try Original Listerine. Put in spray bottle and use it as a Bug Spray. Repels ticks black flies and musquitos. It worked great today in the blind!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
I took glucosamine for long time....then I was told I have type 2 diabetes. I had to stop it because it raised my glucose levels to an unacceptable level. So be careful........On another note,I eat a lot of garlic, I love the stuff. When we go stumping all my friends are picking ticks of all day long and I get none or maybe one.....garlic may work, seems to keep the black flies from biting also!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©