3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: John Rook has passed .  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: John Rook has passed .
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
John gave me an autographed arrow when we were on a hunt together. I will cherish it. RIP John.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Prayers are with you John. You saw better than most of us. Mike

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
I have read a few stories of his hunts. What a inspiration. Prayers for his loved ones and Gods speed brother.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
I just read this and am extremely saddened by this news. A lot of folks have no idea what an inspiration this man was to bowhunters everywhere. Back in May of 1998 John was chosen as the recipient of Safari Club International's Special Hunter of the Year Award. It was a very big deal allowing him to be honored in Reno, NV that spring. He got to meet General Schwarzkopf, then U.S. V.P Dan Quayle, General John Yeager, as well as his favorite.. Bo Derek. He was also awarded a world class bowhunt in Australia guided by Mick McCormick. John's good friend Lenny Rock went along as John's eyes/sighter. There was a full color featured article about the hunt in the July/Aug. 1998 issue of Safari Magazine, written by Bob Markworth. Frankly, I don't think they expected any success guiding a completely blind bowhunter shooting a longbow. John and Lenny showed them.. and did us proud. John came home with four beautiful animals including two Red Stags, a Sambar bull and a Rusa Deer. I believe a couple of the animals were not only big but world class or world record animals at the time. John's wife Barb kept me updated with hand written letters of thanks (I was the one who nominated him for the honor). On John's return he made be a cassette tape of his entire hunt, blow by blow, newspaper clippings, photos, etc. Before John lost his sight he was the Ohio Barebow Champion '60-'63, I believe. He began having eye problems in '67. Had his left removed in '69. Was legally blind in '79 and totally blind in '81. When I was compiling data for his nomination in '97 he had already taken over 30 big game animals with his bow including 9 whitewtails; 5 bear; antelope; mule deer; mountain lion, etc. this was all after he was totally blind mind you. John freely gave demonstrations to handicapped children teaching them, as he said "what they can do... not what they can't do." As previously stated, John Rook was not only exceptional but phenomenal. He was the "true spirit of archery and bowhunting". My prayers for his friends and family. In great respect,Barry Wensel

Offline P.J. Petiniot

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »
Barry, You summed John up perfectly-

John was a fine bowhunter and an even finer man-

God Speed John!
If your bow has a trigger, it’s not a bow. If your bow has a trigger and a stock, it’s an abomination.

Offline Gav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
A very sad day, but he now hunts in heaven with Fred, Glenn, and those bowhunters that endeavored to make traditional archery what it is today. Godspeed Mr. Rook.

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
Barb is making the arrangements today at Fox funeral home .It’s located here in Boardman Ohio, when I get more information on dates and time, I’ll post them here.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
Prayers for a guiding light in our sport.
Just to know his story is a bless.
The man is gone but his trail remains vivid.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
Seems like an incredible person. Thoughts and prayers to the family.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Read alot of stories about his adventures over the years.

A true inspiration in many ways,..He will be missed.

Prayers for his family and friends.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
I only saw John at ETAR each year and usually had a few minutes of conversation.  I regret not taking the time to sit and talk more.

He was a very nice guy that accomplished much and will be missed.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Rest in peace John. May God comfort all who know and miss him.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
I shared a camp with John on a Texas hog/javelina hunt. He was a real hoot and had quite a sense of humor! What a privilege to spend just a weekend with him. He will be dearly missed.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
It's a sad day for bow hunting. John was a unique individual with an indomitable spirit. Everyone who knew him admired him. We all will miss him.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Lenny Rock was Johns very best friend he took him on many hunting trips .When you hunted with John you didnt hunt at all but helped him, there is not many people generous enough to do that. They had so many stories together it was really fun to sit down and listen and all the pranks on John and he'd just laugh and have fun with it. His hunt to Austrailia was his high point in his hunting life and the Wensel brothers were mostly responsible for that, very good of them . Several times we tried to buy books or tapes from Gene and Barry for John but they would never take any money.Many people helped John he was a great person....Tim

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
Very Sad News in deed.I really feel even more fortunate NOW to have had John as guest for 3 days at Traditional Archery Rendevous in the 90's and spent time chatting with him & Lenny as well as watching his demonstrations.A very special human being.
  God Bless you John.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Super nice guy. He will be greatly missed in our community. My condolences to his family.
 Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
May God Bless his family & friends.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
My prayers are with his family. May he rest in peace. He was quite an inspiration. (nut)  :pray:
Rich Potter

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
A stolen moment of John on right and Lenny at his side as he most often was, in the lobby at PBS Nashville in 2010.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©