3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: John Rook has passed .  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: John Rook has passed .
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
So sad to hear....Thoughts and Prayers go out to his Family... God Bless all of them.
"Just passing through"

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Many thanks to all for sharing. Prayers sent to John's family and many friends.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
may he rest in peace, my prayers go out to all his loved ones and friends

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
John was an inspiration to all. May he rest in peace. God bless his family and many friends.

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
So Sad to hear, May he rest in Peace and God Bless his family. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Rook at the comptons, I remember his big beautiful smile.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
I had the pleasure and opportunity to talk with John Rook when he was our guest speaker at our Traditional Bowhunters Of Maryland Annual Banquet some years ago. Matter of fact we sat at the same table, and we kind of hit it off, especially since I could relate to his blindness, because my Dad was blind. The Bowhunting community have certainly lost a great one. At one point in time I actually gave up a booked Stingray hunt date that I had with Rob Davis, so that John could go on that particular day to hunt Stingrays. I gladly stepped aside and let him have that day.God Bless his family and may he rest in peace.

Tony

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
May he Rest In Peace. What an inspiration.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Sad day. My sincere condolences to the family.

I never met John but he had my utmost respect from the first time I read about him several years ago.

Just last week I spoke of him to give encouragement to a life long hunter that had lost his legs and a portion of his hands to a flesh eating disease in recent years.

He remains an inspiration to us all.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Some of the members here have contacted me for more information on the calling hours for John. John was a special person and it's evident that he touched many people's lives.

John David Rook, 73

BOARDMAN – Prayers will be at 9:30 a.m. on Friday at the Fox Funeral Home, Boardman, followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at 10 a.m. at St. Patrick Church, celebrated by the Rev. Edward Noga and the Rev. Paul Tobin, for John David Rook, 73, who passed away Sunday morning. He was born on May 24, 1938, in Youngstown, a son of the late Paul Wilbur and Sara Ross Rook. He leaves to cherish his memory, his loving wife, the former Barbara DePrano Rook; several friends and family; and his friend, Cassy. His sister, Patricia, preceded him in death. Mr. Rook retired as Workman’s Compensation Manager for the Youngstown Sheet and Tube Co. John was a noted archer and bowhunter. He was a regular member of the Professional Bowhunters Society, a life member of the Compton Traditional Bowhunter, a senior member of the Pope and Young Club, a life member of the Ohio Bowhunters, a member of the Safari Club International, a life member and vice president of the Lowellville Rod and Gun Club, and the Michigan Longbow Association. Mr. Rook was a honor graduate from Youngstown State University, and was elected to the Gould Society, Youngstown’s equivalent to the Phi Beta Kappa. The Professional Bowhunters Society awarded him the Thomas Shapinas Award, their highest award. Also, he was honored with a special award for “not giving up” from the Safari Club International for him and his sighter. It was presented to him by General Norman Schwarzkopf, with Bo Derek present. He gave many demonstrations and lectures throughout the United States. John started his interest in archery in 1956 and won many awards. Friends may call from 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Fox Funeral Home, Boardman. Material tributes can be made in John’s memory to Lowellville Rod and Gun Club, Land Acquisition Fund, P.O. Box 1, Lowellville, OH 44430.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
My condolences to John's family.What he did with archery,gave encouragement to others.
Leland

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
I met John at the Kalamazoo traditional expo in 2004 (I think) then I spoke to him again at Kalamazoo a couple of other times.  He was a  friend of the man I bought Lost Nation Archery from so we had a connection immediately.  I'll never forget asking for clarification on his last name.  "Just remember 'crook' but no 'C'" he said.  I laugh just remembering the way he said it.  And John remembered me the second time we spoke.  

Thank you, God, for the years he blessed all of our lives.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
John sure had a knack for remembering people by their voices. I once asked him if he could guess who I was since it had been a year or more since we had been together. He said, "say a few more words" and cocked his head as if listening close. I replied "do you remember my voice"? He said "no never heard that voice before but is Jeanne here"? Jeanne being my wife. John had a great sense of humor.

Every time we met, he would ask how Jeanne and my family was. He always showed concern for others.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Jim Dahlberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
I had the honor of meeting John back in the late 1980's.  He and Lenny were guest speakers at a South Dakota Bowhunter's gathering.  Before the evening was over I was wearing a whipped cream pie compliments of John to his great delight and my chagrine.  I was planning a bear hunt that following spring and asked John if he would be interested in going along.  He jumped at the opportunity and we made plans to hunt together and I would be his "eyes" for the hunt.  We had many great experiences during that long week together.  Jack Kempf volunteered to pick John up from the airport and transport him to bear camp.  They had never met.  While getting to know each other and traveling down the road in the vehicle John shouted " Look look there's a bear!!"  Jack hit the brakes to look where John was pointing then realized that he had just been taken by John's great humor!  Jack laughed and said "John, you sob."  During the week John asked if he could go to the lake and take a bath.  Duane and I were going to take bait to a stand across the lake and took John with us so he could bathe.  As we loaded the boat and prepared to leave I asked John is he was sure that he would be OK by himself.  He said he would be as long as we put his fresh clothes all together on the shore and made sure that he had his soap and walking stick close by.  As we left in the boat we could see John undressing and getting into the water to clean up.  We crossed the lake, baited the stand and started on our return trip back across the lake.  As we approached the shore where we had left John we could see him standing stark naked with his walking stick close to the front of him as he leaned on it.  I was laughing as we got closer.  So was John.  As it turned out he was in the process of soaping up when he heard a car driving up.  It turned out to be a family who had planned on swimming but left very fast when they saw a naked man bathing just off the beach.  John was so flustered by the turn of events that he lost his way back to his clothes and towel and stood there waiting for us to return so he could towel off and get dressed.  We all had a good laugh at John's misfortune.  John shot a good bear on this hunt.  I will always remember his dignity, humor and ability to make the best of anything thrown his way.  He was a true gentleman.

Offline Bob Hildenbrand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
I am at a loss for words. John was one of the finest men I ever knew. He was a great ambassador for our sport and an equally good co-pilot on our Texas trip. In life you only get to meet a couple folks like him. Cindy and I were blessed to be freinds with John.

Keep a seat for us around that campfire John...we'll catch up to again brother.

Our condolences.

Offline 187BOWHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
I didnt know John but my prayers are with his family and friends, may they find peace with the memories

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Sorry to hear this.  Prayers of peace and love winging their way to the Great Spirit.
Had the privilige to meet and shoot with John, years ago.  Another great person gone.  The world of Trad Archery is better for his walking our path.
JAG/Johnny
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
I had the oprotunity to meet John at the UBI banquet and at Compton I  but did not know him well as many of you did.  
I will have to say this thread is a great memorial to the man.
It would be nice to see someone put a story of Johns life together with contributions from all his friends.  There are probably more stories that have not been told
Joe Furlong

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
I talked to John many times at ETAR.  I had the privilege to be his sighter at a western Mass shoot one time. He was a much better shot than I being his eyes!  What a gentle-man with a great sense for kidding around.  RIP John.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Sorry to hear this, did not know he was blind. After reading about him went on line and read about his life, also read it to my wife. She use to shoot archery, until going blind. After I read the stories to her she ask me when do we start. So we are. I guess his legacy will live on as long as folks try.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2012, 05:52:00 AM »
Oh wow...just saw this. How sad. I didn't know John, but I was very inspired by the stories I read of his efforts. God Bless....
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©