3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sell me on a neck knife  (Read 451 times)

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
Sell me on a neck knife
« on: April 29, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
It's off season so dreaming about fall and what I need and dream about.  Been thinking about a neck knife or a knife on my arm guard.  Something quick and easy.  

I don't know anything about neck knifes so please inform me  :)
I assume they hang under your outer garment so won't interfer w/ shooting.  I saw some w/ kydex sheaths so I can hand inverted.  I also was thinking about attaching a knife to my strap on my backquiver.  

Please include pics and links so I can check on my phone at work  :)
Thanks for the help!!
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline Ryman Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sell me on a neck knife
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Go look at Charles Sinclairs neckers he's a sponsor and he makes some unbelievable neckers and you won't be disappointed. I have one he made and its awsome the only problem I have is every time I see another one of his I want that one also. Incredible work he has pictures all you would want.

Glenn / Cat

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
Neckers are really handy, once you start using one you'll find you naked with out it!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
I think they look really cool, and would be handy as all get out, but I just CANNOT bring myself to have a knife so close to my boiler room.  Just a personal feeling.  I'll stick to my fixed blade belt sheath knife.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
I am with Mike.  Made a couple, wore them and then gave them away.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
I like mine. Great sheath. Not inverted. Handy.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline scottfix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Im with Mike.  Having a razor sharp object that close to my heart and throat just bothers me.  Ill keep mine on my belt, thank you just the same.  Scott

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
What the heck would you need a knife for?  J/K

Personally, I have always wanted a neck knife, now that I have one, I never wear it!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Neck knives are recommended mostly not for hunting, but for wilderness living/survival.  Inverted is not the norm, and very well constructed/plastic sheaths are the norm so you don't have any pokes through the sheath.  I use plastic sheath modified with leather to hang around the neck. I don't wear it hunting, but for anything like building a blind, shelter, around camp it's very useful.  It's always there, and meant to be utility, not a piece of art. I use mora knives, TWO TRACKS is a sponsor that sells them.  Cheap, excellent steel, and if you break one (I never have), buy another. I beat the heck out of them and just keep on using them. I use the rubber handled one for my belt so dressing animals it is not as slippery.  I wouldn't wear one bowhunting.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
I have wanted one for a long time.
Never found the right one to buy and keeping it a dream at this time.
Some love them and say they would never be without one.
IF i find just the right one.......

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
glenn... how do you find charles sinclair, did multiple searches but came up empty.  :dunno:

Offline scottfix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
U might consider checking out Farr West Leather.  They are a sponser, and they make a leather armguard and knife combo.  Havent tried one personally, but a small knife on my forearm makes sense to me, and would be very handy.  Scott

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
I have a beautiful neck knife-wore it inverted for two years and one day it fell into my crotch! Nothing bad happened-but caused some apprehension none the less. Now I wear it 'right side up', it is handy and I pretty much always wear it hunting and in camp.

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
Thanks everyone! I already know about Farr West but it's alot.  What's better w/ neck carry then on your belt?
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
I bought a mini-neck knife from the Asbell web-site. Thought at first that with it's size , I was just going to hang it on 1 of my deer mounts.......however, It is SCARY sharp and actually quite handy!  I don't wear it daily, but when hunting and during my 2 week fall deer camp, I wear it constantly. It has come in very usefull, though small, for those all -to -frequent little chores  that require cutting.  

Also, when in a treestand I like having the knife where I can easily reach it in case the worse-case ever happens and I'm dangling from my harness.
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline the_real_DBCooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
I always carry a knife of some sort, never around my neck though. My favorite fixed blade knife is a Fallkniven WM1 in a leather pocket sheath by Knives Ship Free.
Small, scary sharp, and easily cleanable.
 Also look at the Izula from RAT Cutlery

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
I see neck knives like I see a pocket knife. I just carry it in a different place. I carry a smidgen knife from buck. You can pick it up for around $22.00. Pure function.

Martin

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
I always carry two knives. A 3 1/2"  Emerson Wave Action pocket knife and a 3" bladed neck knife in a ABS plastic sheath.

Never leave home without them.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
The "Lil' Shaver"

Personally, I've found this little knife to be one of the handiest knives I've ever carried. Maybe it's because I carry it in a neck sheath. With the neck sheath, it's right there when I need it for the many cutting jobs I do throughout the day, and so far I haven't found a cutting job that this knife can't handle. I recently cleaned a dozen pan fish which included scaleing, cutting off heads and removing the fins.

The 3" blade is Forged from W-1, a high carbon tool steel. This steel when properly tempered will take and hold an edge that will shave the hump hair off a sleeping Grizzly bear....without waking him up. The blade style is great for almost any cutting job, and the small birds head on the butt of the handle keeps the knife from slipping from your grasp. The Stag horn grip is my favorite knife handle...

http://shrewbows.com/lil_shaver.html

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©