3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Glasses on from now on  (Read 448 times)

Offline CANT/SHOOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Glasses on from now on
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
I decided to wear my glasses during practice tonight. My right eye has been degrading and I think it has been throwing my focus off.

It was like night and day. I tossed a tennis ball out from about 15 yards toward my targets and backstop. I did this repeatedly, 30 to 40 shots. I normally get close to the ball and my arrow deflects up into a target I only stick the ball maybe 20% to 30% of the time.

Tonight I hit the ball 60% to 70% of the time and my misses were much tighter than normal. from now on glasses on for me.
----
JD Berry Taipan
Bama Hunter

Swift | Silent | Deadly

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glasses on from now on
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Awesome feeling when you figure something out, isn't it?
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
It's funny how different people react differently to the same thing. I can't stand wearing my glasses when I shoot. Seems to be too much of a viewing angle through them. BUT, my nearsightedness isn't very bad either so without the glasses is ok for now.
Romans 8:28

Offline CANT/SHOOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
I normally hate wearing them but it made such a difference, i gotta wear them. not so much a difference in sight in really i mean i was aiming at a tennis ball, i could see it fine. really it was in focus. i can hold a much tighter focus with the glasses on. I guess my astigmatism causes it to be hard to hold a tight a focus with out them, like a strain versus no strain. very eye opening  :)

it is definitely awesome!
----
JD Berry Taipan
Bama Hunter

Swift | Silent | Deadly

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
I shoot better with them but they get fogged up when I'm chasing Pigs and Elk!

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
I've been contemplating wearing my glasses for shooting as well.  Having a hard time focusing intently on a spot.  I've been wearing them more and more for reading but have been afraid to take the plunge and wear them shooting.  I've heard of people having problems clearing the frames with the string...anyone have issues with frames/string?
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline CANT/SHOOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
No problem for me clearing the frames. I do push them all way up my nose though. That way th middle of the frame is not visible to me. When reading I let them sit way down on my nose.
----
JD Berry Taipan
Bama Hunter

Swift | Silent | Deadly

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
I have to wear glasses because I can't see things clearly without them. I've been wearing glasses for 52 years.

I'm also "not" a contacts person.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
I wear my glasses all the time. Don't see worth a hoot without them. Never brushed my glasses with the string that I can remember. Because I wear mine all the time I don't even think of them...if you are in the habit of taking your glasses on and off through out the day it may make a difference.

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
I'm with Stujay. Without my glasses I wouldn't even know if I had an arrow on the string.    :)
I have never, I don't believe, hit my frames with the string. I'm sure part of that is through the necessity of wearing them constantly that I know they are there and am subconsciously(sp) aware and protective of them.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 02:38:00 AM »
I also wear mine while shooting. Been shooting with them so long never notice them being in the way. Besides I would not see what I am aiming at, with out them   :bigsmyl:

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Had to get some glasses not so long ago, and while it took a bit to get used to them, the difference in my shooting, by being able to focus properly is amazing. Should have used them long time ago.

Offline jbat73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
CANT/SHOOT, just started wearing glasses to shoot this year as well! Should've been wearing them for years, my shooting as gotten much better, can focus on a much smaller spot now and groups have closed up as well, havn't had any problems so far with hooking them or anything, good luck, shoot straight, J     :thumbsup:
White Mountain Traditional Bowhunters

Granite State Bowhunters

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
I've worn glasses since the 6th grade. Always have to wear them, shooting or not shooting.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
I started wearing glasses several years ago and went through some form changes to make it all work. I cant the bow more, turn my head and body more square to the target, and don't have such a deep anchor into the corner of my mouth.

Progressive bifocals don't work at all. I have single vision distance glasses for shooting. No nose tabs or I tend to look through them. And I always use a strap to keep them tight for a constant fit.

Sometimes I wear contacts if it will be rainy or if I plan on using binoculars.

It's a real pain if you started wearing glasses  after learning to shoot.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
does anybody wear contacts to shoot?  I tried wearing glasses, I have an astigmatism and wear glasses for reading and computer work.  I couldnt make the glasses work because I was looking through the side of them.  My eye doctor is not really keen on the contacts available for astigmatism. Any suggestions would be great.

Offline zze86

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
I have to wear glasses all the time and don't mind it that much except during shooting. sometimes during the draw to my anchor I'll knock my glasses askew and will have to reset. I've been meaning to switch to contacts but i think i'd be too lazy to put them in the morning, lol.
-Chee

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
tf,  I too have the astigmatism problem.  I found that as red beastmaster said I cannot use progressives.  The field of focus is too narrow.  I also have trouble trying to read with progressives too.  So I went to and always use my reading trifocals.  I use the top part (distance) to shoot with.  I suggest that if you are finding that you are "looking through the side of them" that you aren't turning your head far enough towards the target.  I too have been advised against contacts for the astigmatism.  I'm glad of that because the thought of putting them in my eyes is a show stopper for me   :cool:
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline guk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
Im in the spot as some of you guys. as i got older i needed glasses more. just cant seem to square my face enough always looking at the frame. make me crazy.

Offline Atennishu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
I just dont see as good with my glasses as with my contacts,   I have astigmatism and it just seems my glasses really affect my depth perception,
Boomer Sooner

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©