3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Give the rookie advice  (Read 438 times)

Offline Bullie

• Trad Bowhunter
Give the rookie advice
« on: April 29, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
I am trying to decide which way to go on a quiver.  On the bow or carried on the body in some way.

My bow has some inserts for a screw in quiver of some type.  

I do most of my hunting from a tree stand and I always remove my quiver from my wheelbow once I get in the tree.  I just don't much like the quiver hanging on the bow.  More stuff to rattle and the bow has to be sighted in with the quiver or without.  The only time I leave it on is when hunting elk and I don't do that often enough to really count.

So, what would you guys recommend for the newbie that needs to find a better way of carrying his arrows than the old back pocket?
QSMA Founder and President

Current World Record Holder Grey Squirrel 1.96 B&S points.  Taken in the Mississippi hills.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Give the rookie advice
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
I think quivers are like bows. You have to try them out to see witch one works best for you. I like a bow quiver because when I hunt with a backpack I dont like to have things around my neck. I guess it all depends on your style of hunting. I hope this helps you out.
>>>------John------>

Offline Bullie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Its a start!  Thanks.  I don't carry a backpack often but I do sometimes pack in a climbing stand.  I was wondering what I would do with my arrows if I went with a quiver not attached to the bow.  

Is there a quiver that bolts on that is easy/quiet to take off the bow?

Current World Record Holder Grey Squirrel 1.96 B&S points.  Taken in the Mississippi hills.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Quiver on the bow for sure. I like the added weight to the bow. I have a gorgeous back quiver and never use it.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
I never liked a quiver on my bow in my wheelie days. Now I wont be without a bow quiver on my longbows. I like the bow and arrows to be one unit that I can move through brush without getting caught on everything.  Get a good strap on like GN or EFA and you can decide if you like it on or off.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
I use both. Love the back quiver most of all but they are difficult on you and the arrows when hunting brush. If I'm in brush I  go with on the bow.   Also on the bow are much more quite ( arrows not rattling around) unless like I did with my back quiver I have neoprene type material that keep the arrows separate . But that doesn't solve the brush hunting.

With instinctive shooting it's already sighted in both ways   :goldtooth:
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Selway sells a quick release slide on that you can hang next to you. The sponsors sell them
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Bullie, Eagles flight archery makes a very nice strap on quiver. goes on and off very easy and fast. You can take it off and hang it on a hook attched to the tree.
>>>------John------>

Offline Bullie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
I would look really cool standing amounst my wheelie shooting buddies with a back quiver.   :)  

I can see that they would have pros and cons though.  

Would a bow mounted quiver not "change" everything up like on compound?

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
I don't see how unless you mount it on the shelf side. That could be a little difficult.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Bullie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Ok.. the holes are not on the shelf side.  But, I suspect you guys already knew that...

Offline Bullie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
Before my elk hunt last year I practiced with my bow attached and 1 arrow removed.  My point of impact shifted several inches with the quiver mounted.  I guess you would just have to learn what happens with the trad bow, then deal with it.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Do you have a recurve or longbow. Most of  the longbow trad bow quivers are slip on as we can't bring ourselves to put a holt in the bow. If you already have them then you should be able to use any quiver that will fit the holes. Are you using sights. Tell us a little more about your setup. And we'll get it straightened out.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Check out a Safari Tuff quiver,I absolutely love mine,arrows completely protected,no rattle.You don't even know your carrying it.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
I use a Great Northeren Quick Detach bow quiver (you have to have a takedown bow for this quiver to work). I too take my quiver off the bow anytime I get in a tree stand or in a ground blind. The GN QD quiver is the easiest, fastest, and the best looks of all I have seen.

I also use the Great Northere strap on quiver for my one piece bows. it is the same quiver with a different attachment mechanism.

Bisch

Offline Bullie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Where can I see one of those Bisch?

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
Yes from your last post it sounds like lots and lots of practice is what your looking for with quiver on and off. It's just like how you change depending on wind, rain and all the up hill down hill sitting standing etc. that make trad fun. And then a lot more practice .   :archer2:
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Bullie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
Ok. 3rivers... So it straps on or uses the limb bolts somehow?

My bow has inserts on the side of the riser for a quiver I assume.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
If you' asking about the  selways from 3 rivers they just slip on you boy either for a recurve or longbow model. Busch will have to answer or someone else that has his style.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
I'll see if I can find some pics for you to see.  But most will just slid or strap on. Back in a bit
Howard Hill Cheetah

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©