3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow mocassins  (Read 1158 times)

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow mocassins
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
I like the look AND feel of broke-in moccs.
I did a google image search awhile ago and got some good pics to look at.
Never used the Ligonier
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Jorja Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
I really like the look of the tall ones. Does the leather stay put once laced up or do they tend to slide down? I don't recall reading many negative reviews of the russells. Maybe things have changed.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Jorja, This was a number years ago that I looked into the russells,do a search on here and see what you can find. About a year or so ago some guys had some info to share.

The super soft moosehide(I think) on the top stays put pretty good. I wrap them around my leg and then criss-cross the laces about 4-5 times and then tie snug. Then I roll or fold the top down to cover the knot. The whole "legging" will sag a bit but nothing to bother over. I wore them to WY on an antalope hunt one year. I didn't get to hunt in them but I did do a fair bit of walking and scouting with them on. It sure feels good on the feet.
I just got done mowing my yard with my new moccs on, They should be just about right for turkeys next week and deer this fall. I want a couple more pair. These are some fine footwear.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
I have the same mocs. I love them!

Here are the bottoms! I wear them everywhere. I like them with wool socks.

Next pair I will get a little larger to wear them with wool insoles.

Martin

Offline Atennishu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
I will have to check those out,  Man those look comfortable!
Boomer Sooner

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
Anyone have pics of mocs with a crepe sole?  I think they would offer additional protection and footing while maintaining feel.  Thanks!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
Can't be resoled with a crepe sole! I am going to do the Barge Cement/recycled tire crumbs thing when I get mine!! They told me to keep it off the seams, and it would be fine.
That which doesn't kill me, will make me stronger!

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
How are these moccs around thorny stuff, like briars, brambles, green briar, cactus, etc?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Never wore mine in the cacti Phil. I do have some pokey stuff around here though and so far so good. The double sole is THICK,

Bill, where do you get the tire crumbs?

That is the one draw back to the crepe sole,you cannot getthem resoled do to the construction method.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
I called a local tire recycler, and they sell it by the 40 lb. bag ($8.00). It comes anywhere from .25" od crumb, to powder. Now granted 40lb is waaaaaaay too much for what I want, so I'm going to see if I can "convince" them to part with a safeway bag full. If I have to buy 40lbs, oh well, it's only $8!!

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
I have 2 pairs of the 3-eyelet style like Chuck's.  The first pair fits good with a lightweight pair of wool socks.  I decided I liked them so well that I ordered another pair a half size larger so that I could wear them with a thicker sock for cold weather.  They are extremely comfortable; I wore mine last year when backpacking for elk - worked great.  I have a pair of slip-on "Totes" rubber overshoes for when the ground is real muddy or snowy and a pair of "Neos" high-top overshoes if the snow is deeper.

I have some of the tire crumbs, also, but have not tried them on the Arrow mocs.  I used them on a cheap pair of Ataska mocs I had a couple of years ago, but it does tend to stiffen the sole a little bit and you lose some ground feel. Once you get used to the great ground feel you won't want to give it up.  I've scrambled around in blackberry brambles and other brushy terrain and not had a problem with anything punching through the leather - It's pretty thick and tough.

I have also gone the Russell route - I have 2 pairs of them.  I think the Arrows are a better value, but I still use the Russell occasionally when I need a little more traction (I have the Newporter sole on one of the Russells).  For overall comfort and everyday wear I don't believe you can beat the Arrows.  I measured very carefully per the Russell instructions and they still came out too large, so I have to use the thickest wool sock I have and even then they are a little loose in the heel area.  Considering that the Russell are "made to measurement" I still get a better fit with the Arrow mocs - perhaps because they mold to the foot so well.

I also have a couple pairs of SoftStar "Runamocs" that have great ground feel with the 2 millimeter street soles.  The sole is an extremely tough rubber composition made by Vibram and makes these shoes water proof on the bottom, at least. I use them as a minimalist running shoe.  They look kind of funky, but are pretty useful and not too expensive.  They totally let your feet splay out and be natural.

These flat-bottomed, no-heel shoes are all I wear any more and it has cured all the foot problems I have had in the past.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
I been to the Arrow shop a few hundred times and although small and old Ron took a lot of pride in his products. I have known people that have worn his mocs for many years without a problem...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Greg Skinner:
I have 2 pairs of the 3-eyelet style like Chuck's.  The first pair fits good with a lightweight pair of wool socks.  I decided I liked them so well that I ordered another pair a half size larger so that I could wear them with a thicker sock for cold weather.  They are extremely comfortable; I wore mine last year when backpacking for elk - worked great.  I have a pair of slip-on "Totes" rubber overshoes for when the ground is real muddy or snowy and a pair of "Neos" high-top overshoes if the snow is deeper.

I have some of the tire crumbs, also, but have not tried them on the Arrow mocs.  I used them on a cheap pair of Ataska mocs I had a couple of years ago, but it does tend to stiffen the sole a little bit and you lose some ground feel. Once you get used to the great ground feel you won't want to give it up.  I've scrambled around in blackberry brambles and other brushy terrain and not had a problem with anything punching through the leather - It's pretty thick and tough.

I have also gone the Russell route - I have 2 pairs of them.  I think the Arrows are a better value, but I still use the Russell occasionally when I need a little more traction (I have the Newporter sole on one of the Russells).  For overall comfort and everyday wear I don't believe you can beat the Arrows.  I measured very carefully per the Russell instructions and they still came out too large, so I have to use the thickest wool sock I have and even then they are a little loose in the heel area.  Considering that the Russell are "made to measurement" I still get a better fit with the Arrow mocs - perhaps because they mold to the foot so well.

I also have a couple pairs of SoftStar "Runamocs" that have great ground feel with the 2 millimeter street soles.  The sole is an extremely tough rubber composition made by Vibram and makes these shoes water proof on the bottom, at least. I use them as a minimalist running shoe.  They look kind of funky, but are pretty useful and not too expensive.  They totally let your feet splay out and be natural.

These flat-bottomed, no-heel shoes are all I wear any more and it has cured all the foot problems I have had in the past.
Just Googled Neos. Looks like a real good idea!! Which ones did you buy? Insulated or not insulated? Can you still "feel" the ground? Like yourself, I too have gone the "barefoot" route! Can't believe the difference! I thought about the possibility of the glue and tire crumbs making the sole stiffer, and thought that instead of gluing the whole sole, just putting a band of it across the balls of your feet, and a bit on the heel. I read in Fred Asbell's book that is what he does to his mocs.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
How are these moccs around thorny stuff, like briars, brambles, green briar, cactus, etc?
Don't know about Arrow's mocs, but a buddy of mine had a pair of mocs soled with rawhide.  They held up really well in cacti.  It's a plains Indian method...still not as puncture resistant as boots, but it keeps you awake while you walk...

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Bill, I got the uninsulated model "Voyager". You lose alot of ground feel and they are also noisy to walk in, so not the best option for actual hunting, but there are times that they are necessary.  I use the "Totes" overshoes more than the Neos. If I want to hunt in the snow then I use the Arrow MukLuks but they are too warm for early season around here.

I've read Asbell's remarks regarding the tire crumbs and thought about trying it that way, too, but I'm not so sure I would like that either.  I can feel anything that gets stuck on the bottom of my mocs - even a flat piece of chewing gum, so I fear that if I didn't get an even coating it would feel weird.  Mixing the tire crumbs with the barge cement and applying with a knife like the Sodhopper website shows seems like the best option if you want something besides the leather sole. When one of my pair of Arrows gets old and worn out I may go ahead and try that anyway.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Two Tracks, I like those 3-hole lace ups. How water proof are they?

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I have not had them out in the water yet(altough I have a superb opportunity right now,BIG storm)
I would say they are as water proof as a well treated pair of leather shoes/boots can be.
I will be applying Montana pitch blend as needed.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Good to hear. I'm talking myselfinto placing an order

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
If you want it more than 3 times, then you need it!! Go for it!!

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
If you want it more than 3 times, then you need it!! Go for it!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©