3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowfishing equipment for trad bows (Widow PL)  (Read 246 times)

Offline erictetterton

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowfishing equipment for trad bows (Widow PL)
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
i am looking to get started bow fishing and would like to know if theres any way i can rig up a reel to work on my black widow longbow? i don't have any inserts on my bow so i can't use any of the reels i have seen...  any ideas? thanks
Javaman Falcon 45@30
BW KBX 60” 45@30
BW PLX 64” 50@30

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowfishing equipment for trad bows (Widow PL)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
go to one of the sponser websites (3Rivers) and checkout one of the traditional mounts in the bowfishing section, it just straps to the bow.

Offline erictetterton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
I'll check that out thanks. Any suggestions on best deal for the money as far as reels, arrows? I am mainly going for monster Gar
Javaman Falcon 45@30
BW KBX 60” 45@30
BW PLX 64” 50@30

Offline Bullie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Not attempting to hijack here but, I have a question.  I am going to try bowfishing this summer.  I have an old Martin X-200 I plan to use to fish.  I don't mind drilling holes in it for an insert but, wouldn't a regular fishing rod off the bow work?  

It seems like it would be really hard to deal with decent sized fish with the gear I have seen.
QSMA Founder and President

Current World Record Holder Grey Squirrel 1.96 B&S points.  Taken in the Mississippi hills.

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
I use a tape on drum reel on my bows. 3 rivers sells these too cheap. I use electrical tape to hold it on. Never had a problem.

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
I bought the AMS trad adapter mount. I like it.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?show=rate&c=56&s=319&p=389&i=5548#full

Mine is the only review on 3 Rivers about it so far.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
Eric if you are going after some monster gar check out (bowfishing extreme) or (backwater bowfishing) for some heavy duty gear I believe they will have what you need, a huge gar is also on my bucket list, those kinda fish aren't in this part of the country. Just thought of something if you are going after something that big I would forget the strap on adapter mount and maybe use a better quality bow setup for that very thing. I'll PM you

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
Eric if you are going after some monster gar check out (bowfishing extreme) or (backwater bowfishing) for some heavy duty gear I believe they will have what you need, a huge gar is also on my bucket list, those kinda fish aren't in this part of the country. Just thought of something if you are going after something that big I would forget the strap on adapter mount and maybe use a better quality bow setup for that very thing. I'll PM you

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
sorry for the double post

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
check out muzzy's bowfishing equipment.  They have high quality stuff that will hold up.  Fred takes some huge gar with muzzy equipment and it seems to do fine.  I use an ams reel but there  are a number of different options and a number of different mounting options.  I use an old garage sale bear that has seen better days.  No way I am taking my nice customs to get beat up in the "hunting boat"  Bowfishing is very hard on equipment and if you value your bow you will find another bow that you can use so you dont beat up your black widow.  Have fun, bowfishing is a blast!  Goin for bottom feeders tonight in fact!

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Bullie, I've used the separate rod thing years ago.
Much prefer the reel on the bow.
The x-200 is a great bowfishing bow.
I prefer a side mount and a push button spincast reel.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Bullie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
Thanks macbow.  The bow mounted reel looks awkward.  Is it hard to use?
QSMA Founder and President

Current World Record Holder Grey Squirrel 1.96 B&S points.  Taken in the Mississippi hills.

Offline Hunter74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
I bow fish a lot and IMHO the side mounted retriever is the way to go... Some people don't really realize this but you don't use the retriever or reel to reel in fish when you have connected... Especially any big fish, you set the bow down and pull in the fish by hand... The retriever is to get your line and arrow back in quick when you miss or loose a fish...

Also someone already stated this but your now takes a beating bow fishing... Each one of mine has been dropped or thrown into the bottom of the boat as well as into the drink... So I wouldn't use anything nice that you wanna keep nice... Just my .02

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
get the AMS reel with the slotted deal for attacing a float. get the rubber strap-on adapters from 3 Rivers, and that's all you need!

some of the other places mentioned for arrows and points are good too.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
i hate bottle reels for numbers,i bowfish 3 times a week at night and i shoot anywhere between 50 to 100 carp everytime out.if i had to go hand over hand retrieval id go nuts...now for 50 to 70 lb.bigheads i love the bottle....
i like biscuits

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
I bowfish alot, and use a shakespeare TI20, with bowfish line and reel mount I bought off backwater bowfishing and few arrows.  has lasted me for 5 years.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
Get an AMS retriever reel. I promise in the long run you will save money as the spin cast reels break frequently. You should also look into getting a cheap bow to use because as stated above bowfishing is rough on gear.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©