3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hospitality in the swamps of GA  (Read 401 times)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hospitality in the swamps of GA
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
I had one of my hunting goals met this past weekend.  I was fortunate enough to hunt the swamps at Ocmulgee WMA in Georgia with none other than Robert Carter(RC).  It was great to finally meet and hunt with RC.  I really appreciate him taking his time to show me and my friend Cam around the swamps when I am certain that he would have had more success on his own.  We saw lots of fresh hog sign and beautiful country on the hunt, but I was unable to seal the deal.  RC was nice enough to give me the only two opportunities available.  

The first stalk on a nice group of mature 150 pound hogs wednesday morning ended a few moments after it began when they saw my motion, most likely from reflected sunlight in the early morning light.  The best opportunity happened just before dark on thursday evening in a really nice looking bottom.  We had been sitting on a log for awhile, waiting for conditions to get a little better for hog movement.  We had been hearing some noise which we assumed were trees in the wind for a half hour or so before we set out for a slow hunt back toward the truck when we heard a squeal.  Guess it wasn't the trees, huh.  We quickly crossed the bottom to close the distance and RC spotted an 80-100 pound black hog and let me put a stalk on.  It was real good stalking conditions, with wet ground, big cypress trees, and knee-to-thigh high leafy vegetation interspersed.  I moved forward and circled around a tree slowly and the hog disappeared.  I heard a light cluck behind me and RC pointed to the side and I made out the hog, maybe 35 yards away.  I crouched low and started closing the gap, with swirling winds closing in.  I got a large cypress tree between the hog and me and closed to maybe 18 yards away and waited a few seconds until the hog came into a clearing and sent the arrow on it's way.  The shot felt good, but I lost the fletching in the vegetation and there was a pretty good crack on impact.  The hog squealed like crazy and took off on a semicircle limping so bad that I thought it would go down at any second.  I had another arrow knocked and when the hog was around 15 yards aways I was going to put another arrow into it, but I got distraced by a couple of hogs busting out to my right, and when I looked back the wounded hog was gone.  I went to where I last saw the hog, and with all of the fresh hog tracks and lack of light, no blood could be found.  We backed out until the morning and eagle eye RC found some blood.  It was really sparse, low to the ground and fizzled out quickly.  The warren of trails made it difficult and cirling about the area yielded no dead hog.  I must have broken the upper arm or shoulder. I was kicking myself pretty good.  Shot a few inches low, and that was the result.  No excuses, it is a shot that I normally make and would certainly take again.  

No other opportunities presented themselves for shots, but I had a great time, nonetheless.  Just as a side note, I had plenty of time for stumpshooting with RC during this trip.  When he says that he is a poor shot in other threads, I think you can certainly chalk that up to modesty.  I hope to have the chance to hunt with him again in the future.  Here is the only pic that really came out from the hunt, but hopefully RC and Cam will post some that they took and add some stories.  I was planning on using my cellphone for pics, but the batteries were drained for most of the hunt.  

Here is a pic of Robert and myself, Swamp People.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hospitality in the swamps of GA
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
sweet. quite the experience putting a stalk on a hog I imagine. It is a shame that you didn't recover the animal but life is such. Still an awesome experience.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
Good stuff Pat ... would be great to spend a day with the both of you and pick up some tips ... and given the amount of critters Robert has taken , I kinda gathered he was just being modest about his shooting .

Is that a Hill or a Toelke Super D your toting ?
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »
I enjoyed the company with Pat and Cam in camp. We had near perfect weather and plenty of Country to get lost in. We walked in fresh pig sign the whole time just could not line up a whole lot of shots. Pat was nice and did`nt tell about my miss so I`ll go ahead and own up to it. I`m sure my shot was deflected by a big skeeter.....

I`ll throw a few random pics out . Ocmulgee WMA is a beautiful place and has a good many pigs and TONS of Turkeys. My Honey Hole Horsecreek WMA is in poor shape right now so we had to take plan B which really was`nt that bad.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
On one evening hunt Pat and I got out of the truck and headed down a dead end walk-in road when a Turkey jumped up almost under us acting like a Bantum Rooster. She was about to put some Kung Fu on us then things settled down a bit and we saw why she was mad. We slipped on by so as not to disturb her anymore....

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 12:50:00 AM »
We saw a few Bear tracks and found a tree a Bear had clawed a bit...

Kinda funny...You can walk in on a dead end access road for a mile and be feeling kinda"apart" from civilazation then walk up to the river bank and there is this "shack" across the River..lol

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 12:50:00 AM »
Great pics, Robert.  Don't forget the one of your night-time visitor.

Ben, that is my super D.  It is a great bow that I didn't do justice to on this hunt.  RC was toting his trusty mohawk.  It probably has the nicest red elm veneers that I have ever seen.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 12:58:00 AM »
One night after supper and an evening of world problem solving I headed to the tent for some shut eye and found a very old model black widow again`t my tent...

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 01:03:00 AM »
Only saw a couple of these critters and none with fangs.

Here Pat is showing off his snake handling skills on this feller...

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
The bottom where Pat and I both had shots on pork..

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
Thanks for sharin' this great outin' with the Trad Gang!

There are many on here who would relish a similar opportunity to spend time with RC in the swamp!

Lookin' forward to future adventures!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 02:03:00 AM »
I don't know of anyone more knowledgeable to be polking around in the swamps with than Robert. Had to be a real good time.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
Yikes...black widows and snakes!  I'm glad you guys had fun and thanks for taking me along with some fine pics.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 07:25:00 AM »
Good stuff guys!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
Looks like a wonderful time.  The chase is the hunt, and the memories made last longer than the shots. Good job yall
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
Great story and pics,thanks for sharing.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
Man that looks like fun! Love the pics guys.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©