3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Soaking string loops in lacquer thinner  (Read 451 times)

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
Soaking string loops in lacquer thinner
« on: July 30, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
On the Bob Lee bow care video they talk about soaking the sting loops of Flemish strings in lacquer thinner to remove the wax and make the loop softer resulting in a quieter bow. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and if there would be any risk of the lacquer thinner breaking down the string material?

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Soaking string loops in lacquer thinner
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
I certainly don't have the experience Bob Lee and co. do, but the purpose of wax in my mind is to lubricate the individual strands of the string. Without it, I think string life would be dramatically reduced. Not to mention what the thinner may do the synthetic materials themselves.

If you are having problems with getting your bow quiet and think the string is contributing, I suggest wrapping your loops with bowhush. It really helps reduce string slap in both longbows and recurves.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
I've done it.  It does strip out the wax and make the loops soft.  Haven't noticed any "string-life" issues.  I've heard several bowyers advise against wrapping the loops as they think it can keep the string from "riding" correctly in the string grove.

There was a good thread on limb slap a while ago where the fella who makes the Border bows chimed-in with his thoughts.  Worthwhile to search for it.

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
I do it too. Because of the string not riding in the groove. I was told the wax is only to keep the stands together and managable while the string is being made, once complete wax is no longer needed. Mike Palmer told me this. I've been using the same string for about 3 years now. Jim

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
I was always told the purpose of waxing a string was to keep grit and such from getting between the strands.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »
Hmmm, I wax the crap outta mine. I too, thought it prolonged string life. Even with a well waxed string though, I only get 6-10 months out of a string. Thats a 3 strand flemish out of B-50. So thats interesting. I'll be interested to see what everyone else does.
                        -Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
I've heard of doing it, but never tried it, for a few reasons.  Mainly, I don't have any noise problems with my bow, so no need to try and fix what isn't broke.  It also concerned me what the thinner could do to the material, since most all are in one way or another a type of plastic fiber.  Finally, wax does prolong the life of a string by keeping it lubricated.

Wax won't keep grit out--if anything, grit will stick to the wax a lot worse.

It is true that the wax makes it easier for a string maker to manage the individual strands and keep them in a bundle--with flemish strings anyway.

Chad

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
I never wax TS1 plus strings. Several are 2-3 years old. I burnish my strings to work the wax up and recommend only waxing if you feel the need. No disrespect to Chad.  :notworthy:  

I have heard B-50 will break down with no wax. I have also heard that wax holds B-50 together. That doesnt make sense to me but I dont make the material.

I'm sure Bob Lee knows what he is talking about. However Laquer thinner seems like it might break down the material. Never tried it myself so I might be wrong. Might try one to see what happens.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
None taken.  The high performance string material will generally last a long time even with no wax. I'm one of the world's worst about keeping a string waxed myself, and I can remember only one time in the past 10 years or so where I've actually worn a string out (had nothing to do with the lack of wax).  I usually just get tired of the colors, or it gets fuzzy, or nasty, so I make myself a new one.  However, keeping them waxed will generally make them last longer, especially if there's a point where there is friction.  The weaker the material, the more benefit it will get from wax.  Bow poundage, the number of strands, how often it's shot, how it's made, etc. will also have an effect.

Wax does not hold B-50 (or any other material) together--it won't get fuzzy as fast, but if you are willing to deal with the aggravation of making a string without the aid of wax, it will work just fine.  Although it's sticky, wax is a lubricant, not an adhesive--at least when it comes to bow strings.

Chad

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
If I were going to try it out, I'd use the citrus-based solvents like Goo Gone or something like that. Thinner seems like it could eat up the material....
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
I did what Rob said for my first bow bought in 2001-2 I think.It made a lot less noise and still doing it today along with bow hush but not on the loops,never saw any damage or string failure.I also did it on a check mate and a K-mag.It makes the loop soft and I think quieterI will try to wrap bow-hush on the loops whenever my bow hush comes in to try that.Kip

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I just thought it was interesting and wanted hear others thoughts on it. I don’t have a problem with noise but thought this might be worth trying if there wasn’t a lot of potential to damage the string.

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »
I don't wax my TS-1 strings after I make them....use minimal wax initially anyhoo.  Have soaked FF string material (TS-1, D-97)in lacquer thinner without adverse results - many plastics are unaffected by lacquer thinner...I use plastic containers in the shop for it all the time.  Those cheap plastic cups will melt though.  

IMO, built up string loops (more surface area contact...beaver tail slap vs. muskrat tail slap) and waxed string loops (hard surface) contribute to more noise on recurves.

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
I tried it with some D-97 on my Bob Lee and it worked well.  It does remove the wax and the color.  The string got soft and fuzzy.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
When it gets fuzzy that's an indication that the individual fibers are breaking.  'Course that will happen some, wax or not.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©