3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyote Issue-Georgia study  (Read 562 times)

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Coyote Issue-Georgia study
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
I think this is a timely and important topic.  If it is in the wrong place, please move or delete.

Studies in Ga and reported by GON magazine idicate that aggressive doe harvests combined with current levels of coyote predation can result in a "predator pit" in which prey populations (deer) can not recover through fawn recruitment.  

This study seems to result in obvious conclusions, but until recently game managers in Georgia have been reluctant to acknowledge the impact of predation and the relatively exponential impact when combined with radical doe harvests.

I would advise anyone who hunts in Georgia to familiarize yourself with this study available online or in print from GON.

Gregg
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyote Issue-Georgia study
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Thanks Greg!   :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline snellville-dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
This has been a problem in GA for over 10 years now even, if the Game Mgmt people don't agree. Dave
Flatwoods Custom Bow 42# @ 28" AMO 60"
Maddog - Prairie Predator 39# @ 28" AMO 55"

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by snellville-dave:
This has been a problem in GA for over 10 years now even, if the Game Mgmt people don't agree. Dave
You got that right.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
I grew up in KY and never saw a yote.  Also few deer and no turkeys in zLogan County.  Now 40 years later when i go to the farm i see few groundhogs but some of the others

When did the east see the yotes?
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
There is another factor that will happen.  When prey populations drop eventually the predator population follows.  That may be to late for a decent deer herd recovery, or it might come before herd collapse.  I say get the rifles out in the off season and start whacking yotes!
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
read it lastnight. very eye opening
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
I have been saying the very same thing for years.  I raise and train field trial and hunting beagles and ohio used to be loaded with rabbits. Not any more.  The coyotes started slowly moving in some twenty odd years ago and now we are covered up in them.  The deer population is now suffering as well as all the ground nesting birds like grouse which are almost nonexistent in our area where we used to have huntable populations and turkeys etc.  The face of hunting has changed and I would imagine that the amount of predators will start to decline at some point as well because their food supply is dwindling.  I hate coyotes with a passion but also respect their abiility to adapt. They are very difficult to hunt,  much more so than deer and adapt to almost  any situation well.  They have made me look very stupid on a numerous occasions and I dont need any help!  No idea what the answer is but I sure dont see all that money we are spending on licenses etc being used to help address the problem!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
This is the case in Southern New Jersey also, our deer pop. is bellow half what it was 5-6 yrs ago and the yotes have quadrupled. Thats why a coyote permit is $2.00 the cheapest permit in the state.It just gets worse!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
Coyotes are really doing a number on the turkey population around here. I'm in prime turkey habitat, farmland, pastures with wooded fingers running throughout and miles and miles of hardwoods on Shawnee National Forest.

Every night I hear the yipping and howling as the coyotes run through the pastures in front of my place. This yr. turkey population is way down and haven't seen the first turkey in a big agriculture field behind me where I would see them about every day last season.

Could have been the bad weather we had last spring, but I know the coyotes are keeping the population from increasing like it should.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
I kill every yote I see!  I HATE YOTES!  Those turkey theiving you no whats!

I wouldn't hate them so much if they didn't get out of control so easily without hunting them.  They can really populate an area fast if they hang around.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
thanks for the info
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
I might be the minority here , but I wouldn't go as far as saying I hate coyotes.  They are a nuisance to us as hunters and farmers, but we as humans have allowed for the perfect habitat for medium sized predator like the yote to thrive. Couple with aggressive farming tactics which leave little to nO security for the prey animal to properly take refuge , lends to a feast for the yotes and no proper home to survive.

I do respect and admire the coyote ability to survive. With that said I killed 33 last December and jan. and I plan on getting some more here soon. June , July is prime yote killing.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
I have never understood the statement "you cannot shoot too many does", because every time you shoot a doe, you reduce the population by about two.  I get reducing the herd.  I don't get shooting every one you see - year after year - as eventually you will go over board.  By definition that is exponential reduction, and going unchecked, will get you sooner than you think.  This seems especially true to public land (maybe not on some large private tracts).

It's interesting how these comments parallel to many states including WI, especially adding wolves into the mix along with the coyotes.

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
lpcjon2, they make you pay for a coyote permit in Jersey!? Wow and I thought Pa. was out of control with license and permit fees!!

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
I think as big of a factor is the aggressive doe harvesting. Think about it - if coyotes or wolves on their own caused the collapse of deer populations, by the time humans got on the scene the deer would be extinct.

So here we have two issues - aggressive doe harvesting and coyotes. The one we have absolute control over is doe harvesting - do what we do in ontario, and have people apply for doe permits. We've had a problem here with a lot of does getting harvested when the deer population was booming, but people thought the deer population could take it. one bad winter later, combined with overharvesting and high coyote populations, and the deer population, while still OK in my opinion, is nowhere near what it was 5 years ago.

The lesson here is this: you can shoot as many coyotes as you want, but there are always other factors than predation. Predation is often the tipping point - the straw breaking the camel's back. But it's much more difficult to deal with than permit issuing policy. Anyone ever try to keep coyotes down through culls or hunting pressure? How'd that work out? Some studies I've seen indicate that coyotes respond to mortality by having bigger litters.

The cure for coyotes? A healthy wolf population. Go anywhere where wolves used to rule and where they've been extirpated, and coyotes have moved in. Then, of course, you have wolves competing with humans for deer.

If I was game management there (I'm being an armchair biologist, I know, but I did go to school for this stuff) I'd be encouraging coyote trapping and hunting, temporarily reducing doe permits and doing some serious necropsies on any dead deer I find to determine cause of death. It's a little more complicated and less popular than trying to kill all the coyotes, but since its virtually impossible to eradicate coyotes, why try? Just take a little off the top and hope for the best.

Besides, why do we really dislike coyotes? I guess they're just too good at their jobs of hunting and killing stuff.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
I have only lived in Ohio for 3.5 years but I agree 100% with Team Fudd's assessment.  I believe there has been a noticable decline in  deer populations in the 4 seasons I have hunted here.  

Of course, OH has very liberal doe permits.  I think they are related, but I am no biologist.

Coyote are everywhere, including my driveway.  Next year I am going to see how often they can make a fool of me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
Ga limit of does at 10 per hunter combined with .25 fawn recruitment in selected locations + recipe for disaster.  As many have stated, hunters have been reporting lower deer sightings for a number of years.  The DNR has been slow to respond.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline guk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
just walked some of my northern minnesota deer spots. more wolve droppings than deer. the strange thing is coyotes howling one night wolves the next. if the two dont mix do the yotes move off and than come back? even after the ez winter the deer sighting seem to be down over a few years ago.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
A lot of people think that coyotes do not do much to deer populations. I disagree. I live in some of the most fertile farm ground in the world. I used to see does with triplets every year. Have not seen this in over ten years now. Add to the fact that we have had unlimited doe tags over the counter and deer numbers have suffered.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©