3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey- very Early Amrican style,, anyone?  (Read 163 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Turkey- very Early Amrican style,, anyone?
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:03:00 AM »
Turkey season opened yesterday here in Mass and because I'm on-call for work this week I'll head out next tuesday. I really want to get one using the early american style of hunting, selfbow, wood arrow, 2-blade, NO CAMO, no blinds, fresh dirt "camo" rubbed onto the hands and face  maybe a bandana over my face.  
I know some of you guys are pretty hardcore when it comes to hunting traditionally using no camo and I'm wondering if you have any tips or pointers on this style of hunting.  
I've spoke to two guys here locally I know on the phone and even though they are are high-tech using carbon arrows and carbon lam recurves (I do own a few too) they offered some advice for no camo which I posted below just for fun to see what people here thought and if theres other proven tricks or advice.

1, when the bird answers back and shows interest try to set up about 10' behind the fattest tree I can find and keep the tree between me and the decoy where I can just barely see the decoy at the right side edge of the tree , the tree blocks the turkeys sight so i can lift the bow and draw and when he dances to the right side of the decoy I have em.

2, sit in bushes or low brush with a tree behind me if possible, throw leaves lightly all over the bushes around me which makes a instant natural blind, learn to shoot the bow almost completely on its side for the least amount of bow movement and while sitting right on the ground with my llegs flat out front draw while bending down towards my knees (like stretching) and come up with my torso while the bow is at full draw and release.

finally I always like to see what folks use on their hunts so for this perticular hunt my set-up is a 63" Joe Mattingly selfbow he named "the notch" because it has a knot hole through the limb.      a guestimate is it pulls about 55@27, I'm using 28" 50/55 cedars with 190gr 2-blade ribteks which stick out another 2 1/2" I think, these arrows are 18yrs old and I made and used these for my very first hunt with a selfbow back when i started shooting selfbows,   also wondering for turkeys your opinions on this arrow set-up if I should give these broadheads a very sharp but "rough" type edge using a file or should I go with hair popping "polished" edge like a straight razor using ceramic rods.
"Us vs Them"

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey- very Early Amrican style,, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
Good luck.  Still working on the no blind thing myself.  Sound like good tips.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Here's an "Early American" watercolor I did many yrs ago. The topic reminded me of it.

I go the no blind, no decoy, no fields (no turkeys) but haven't given up my camo or store bought bows and arrows.

Click photo for full size.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
I have been talkign with some folks and making sure I have a big fat tree about 5-10' directly in front of me with the decoy set up 10yds on the other side of it is very important.  I need to remember to draw the bow holding it verticle and then once at full draw bend just my waste at the side until the spot is picked,, the bird should just kinda raise his head trying to figure it out so it has to happen fast.  

I did shoot one bird with an arrow before and iw as only wearing a cheap camo bug suit and jkust kneeling at the edge of the brush and watching my decoy in an open field. I let the Tom come up and start dancing around and when he turned and his tail blocked his view I drew back and he didn't see me, by the time I locked in the anchor he was turned perfect and I shot and hit him through his upper hips. I was new and set the decoy up ay 25yds so it was a touch shot.  

I have a double bull matrix and a reruve hunter version but i'm sick of lugging gear, its gotten crazy with the climbing stands/blinds or filled up field packs, the calls, a folding chair to go in the blind so I just want to go in jeans and a plaid shirt with 3 arrows  1 call and my selfbow, maybe a backpack with the collapsable tenkara rod to try for some brookies on the way out!
"Us vs Them"

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
Always wondered, "how is no camo traditional ?"
Trappers hunted in furs natives used furs and anything to blend...is that not a type of camo....just because a plaid shird does not shape like a leaf it is still a type of camo as all these shirts are earth tones or blended colors..use fibergalss bows not self bows...and again really does it matter?
Some days I wear plaid shirts some days I wear leaf patterns or a ghillie . Really what's the diff ? Just my opinion...not trying to start a debate.
itook a turkey few weeks ago wearing a ghillie and it was a blast...if you use a blind does that make it less an achievment...don't think so....its all different styles...just have fun

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
I wear cloths dyed in walnut hulls. This doesn't always dye evenly and it gives a light dark patteren so your outline is broken up. Tubltrubl you are correct in that camo or no camo both are traditional. I think however what he wants is primitive with no store bought camo. You are correct camoflage is in the truest since of the word just blending in. Ted I wish you luck in your quest, anything that challanges you is worth pursuing, thats why we hunt the way we do.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Set the decoy facing looking at you. If the decoy is looking toward the bird it can make him hang up plus he can see you easier. Sitting looking toward you he will usually come in and turn toward the decoy with his back or side facing away from you blocking his vision. Also dont put the decoy directly in line with you and the bird. Put it off to one side so he will not be aware of your presence.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
alot of fellows use snuffers or a big three blade broadheads, because their vital area is so small and an extra blade might make the difference...I'm just a rookie on turkeys but was lucky enough to tag one this year with the help of my friends in South Dakota ..the three blade was successful....If you want to hunt like Fred Bear...the fedora is a nice touch and by tilting your hat down..you avoid eye contact till the moment of truth also grow beard  for a few days and this will help cover your face if your hair is dark.......good luck and post pic of your turkey!!!!!

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
I forgot the head facing me trick and thanks for mentioning that. trubltruble,, I know what you mean about camo and trust me I have everything in camo but lablover hit it on the head with what I wanted maybe I used the wrong words trying to describe what i wanted but trust me I have no beef with camo and I wear it all the time with my stickbows,,,, I want this to be as hard as possible and pretty much done in regular period corect 1920's clothes and I believ camo didn't show up till the end of WW2 when the troops came home right?

with hard as possible I looked into hunting deer with a spear here inmy state but its against the law,, ow well I tried 8^)
"Us vs Them"

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
good for you on the challenge aspect....I like theme hunts as well....last year used only self bow and all wood bow  with wood arrows...this year I am only hunting with Bear Bows....good luck ..maybe get a neck scarf (should be ok as scarfs have been worn even in the 20's and pull it up on your face....the fedora is good to hide your face and keep sun off of face and eyes

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
why am I seeing jakes everywhere when I'm driving down the road, I'm calling and only hens come by? no gobbles off in the distance, these turkeys have no interest in anything going on unless its a recently filled bird feeder..

my father told me to just hang a birdfeeder out in my spot and when the sparrows, bluejays  and chickadees find it and start singing and holloring the breakfast song the turkeys will come running in --> and I think he's right..

anyway no bird yet , the hens don't seem to mind me in regular clothes but they cannot be harmed, the jakes on the other hand could care less whats in the woods showing no interest in any of my calls which are custom slates and boxes that have all worked before..

worse comes to worse I thing bull frog is in season too 8^(
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©