3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kodiak Magnum or Supermag 48?  (Read 398 times)

Offline jrnorton4

• Trad Bowhunter
Kodiak Magnum or Supermag 48?
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
Hi all,
Have been saving up to have a custom longbow built, but looked at a kodiak magnum this weekend and really liked it.  Didn't get to shoot it, as I am left-handed and it was a righty. Does anyone have any experience with the newer Kodiak Magnums? What about the Supermag 48? Really like how short and workable it seems to be. Pros, cons?
"The Indian needed food; he needed skins for a roof..." Ted Nugent

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kodiak Magnum or Supermag 48?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
If your draw is longer, around 29" or more, you may want to shoot the Supermag 48 before buying. I bought one and it stacks right at my 29" draw. I'm also a lefty. It is shootable for me though.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline dabprice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Shorter bows, especially 52" and 48" recurves, are sensitive, twitchy and very unforgiving. They can stack early and pinch fingers as well.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
What dabprice says is not always  the case.  Some do and many don't.  It is in the design of the bow as whether-or-not it will stack at your draw.  Cascade's Golden Hawk Magnum at 48" and at 52" do not stack at longer draws.  Now at 30 or 31 I can't say but at 29 not a problem.  I am sure that there are many others out there that do the same.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
I have a k-mag and get by and like it with an almost  29" draw.I have pulled the super mag and cannot recommend it.Kip

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
there may or may not be draw length issues with short bows, depends on the design.  But what is inherent in all of them is that they are less forgiving to shoot than a longer bow and more unforgiving of inconsistencies in your form. Definitely shoot before you buy.  And good luck in whatever you do.  I love short bows but that is just me.

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
I just love the Kodiak Magnum. It is my personal favorite. Infact I own several. I draw 29.5 and they shoot just fine for me. I Think that a draw length much more than that would cause stacking on a K Mag though. I tried a 50"  Browning Cobra and while it looked and felt great. It hit a wall right at 29" and I couldn't get consistant groups with it.  For treestands, heavy brush, and bowfishing. I don't think you can beat a Kodiak Magnum for a production bow.   :archer2:
United States Army 2007-Current

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline jrnorton4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I am a pretty short draw at 26, so I might not have issues with any of it.  I will definitely shoot one before I buy it though.  Definitely need something forgiving, especially in a tree.
"The Indian needed food; he needed skins for a roof..." Ted Nugent

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
With a 26' draw length, either of the two recurves will do you well.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
What weight you looking to get?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by jrnorton4:
Thanks for all the feedback.  I am a pretty short draw at 26, so I might not have issues with any of it.  I will definitely shoot one before I buy it though.  Definitely need something forgiving, especially in a tree.
I've shot both quite a lot & I draw an honest 29" with a recurve. The Super Mag didn't seem to stack, but it did pinch my fingers a bit. It did need good form or it'd not shoot where I wanted. When I really paid attention it'd shoot well, but if I got sloppy it was hard to hit with. I did like it though. It's an older one & I've retired it.

I used to own a newer "Gainsville" Kodiak Mag. it was 45lbs, & it was a dream to shoot. I only wished I'd gotten it in 50 or 55lbs. It became my go to bowfishing bow. I really did like it & I shot it well. I hunted with it several times, but never did get to take anything but a lot of Carp with it.
  My Nephew needed a bow & I gave it to him.
  I think you would like the KMag & with a 26" draw I think you'd get along well with it. You might consider getting one 5 lbs heavier than normal because you will loose some weight with the shorter draw. If you shoot say a 45lb bow, I'd consider a 50lb or maybe even a 55 lb bow.
  Good luck, if I were you I wouldn't hesitate on the Kodiak Mag. I really liked mine.  :thumbsup:  
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
I have a couple of the newer Super Mag 48's.  They do not stack until you pass 29 inches.  Put it in a rack and test it.  That being said, if you have thick fingers, you will get some pinch past 28 inches.  They are a lot more forgiving than most people think, they have wide limbs for a reason.  They do have a very pronounced rake in the grip, a lot of people don't like that and it will take some getting used to.  As far as twitchy, a bad release is a bad release.  Most people who bad mouth these bows either don't own one or shot one for 10 shots or fewer.  

Super K's are a lot more conventionable and most people can shoot them with no problems.

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
My opinion:  Love the K-Mags, Dislike the Super-Mags.  Did I mention LOVE the K-Mags?
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
never shot the super-mag, so i cant say anything about them.
 but i shoot the kodiak-mag, its my huntin bow!
  very menuverable in tight places, im so used to hunting with it i cant get comfortable shooting (hunting) anything longer.
  but it does have a very deep grip, wich i really didnt care for, so i modified my grip and like it that much more.  i think they are pretty fast shooters to, never chronied though.

get one to find out for yourself,.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
I have/had a 1967 LH 48# Super Kmag that I was just getting dialed in and then I broke it! I was in shock for 2 days. Maybe more...
I like shorter bows, draw 28ish and I think either bow would make you happy. Mine really started to come around when I read here that the brace height was 8-8 1/2". Mine came with a really neat black leatherish case.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
I love my Kodiak Magnum. If the new ones are anything like the old ones it should be a great bow.
James Kerr

Offline snellville-dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
If you haven't checked out  www.maddogtraditionalarchery.com  you might want to take a look they make several bows for people with a short draw. Dave
Flatwoods Custom Bow 42# @ 28" AMO 60"
Maddog - Prairie Predator 39# @ 28" AMO 55"

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
With a 26" draw, it's probably more personal preference than anything else. Those bows were made for folks like you...I'm jealous !

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 02:00:00 AM »
I like my old beat up Kmag, but i wasn't real fond of the super mag I shot. Its just too short. I'd recommend finding you a vintage Kmag (if you can find a lefty) and giving it a whirl. I think the fit and finish is a little better on the old ones. Also, check out Cascade Bows. They make some nice custom takedowns in short lengths. Two Tracks makes a 50" one piece called the Ambush. With that length you can split the difference if you can't decide    :D
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
I love my 45 lb kmag.  I got it used here for $125. Best bow money ever spent.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©