3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Manitoba Bear Hunt  (Read 359 times)

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
Manitoba Bear Hunt
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
OK! Finally ... I leave Sunday for my first ever bear hunt. I will be taking my Bob Lee 50# take down with aluminum shafts and Zwicky Delta's weighing in at 600gr total. I beefed them up with 100gr steel inserts.

Will be hunting the Inter-Lakes region of Manitoba. There are supposed to be some real big bears in that area. Hope they are out and hungry. Anyone else heading that way or have hunted that region recently?

WoodsyDave

Offline scottfix

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Manitoba Bear Hunt
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Cant help, but did want to offer my congrats and good luck.   Bring back lots of pics!!!!  Scott.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
Manitoba has some nice bears! Good luck.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Hey WoodsyDave, I'm sure there are great bears in the area.  I've hunted Riding Mountain and Duck Mountain with good success.  Have a great time and take your time judging the bears.  They can be deceiving and you don't need to rush.  Make sure you  let us know about your hunt when you get back.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Best of luck and have a super good time  :archer2:  shoot straight

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Good luck! Let us know how it goes when you get back!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Good luck and hunt safe!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Bear huntin is very addicting,so go get hooked!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Have a great trip, I'll be watching for your bear pic's. One these days I hope to go myself. Sounds like your set up  blender blades or not?

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
good luck and be safe Dave   :thumbsup:
Kevin Day

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Shoot one with little ears,and belly close to the ground.Take a lot of pictures,best of luck.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Fat Daddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Bears are my absolute favorite!  I look forward to moving back to Canada so that I can hunt bears again.  I haven't hunted bears in Manitoba but I have next door in both Ontario and Saskatchewan.  My best advice is to look for a bear with a small nose.  The biggest bear I ever shot was one that had what appeared to be a small nose.  When I got to him after shooting him, it turned out that his nose was a normal size, it is just that the rest of his head was bigger than normal!

Good luck, hold out for the one that feels right.

Cheers,

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
You will have a blast.  Big.bears and Color phase bears on top of that.  I hope you can do some walley fishing also.  Good luck be safe and shoot straight.  If your driving make sure you dont bring any bear spray with you customs wont let you into Manitoba with it.  My buddy is going back on 05/11/12 yes im missing it I killed 2 bears with wheels there.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
Good luck Dave! Enjoy the trip.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Mrx2010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
I hunt the Duck mountains almost every year, lots of bears and a high percentage of color phase bears so definitely be patient and don't shoot the first one in (unless of course he is a giant lol) I like to look at the front legs if they are the same size top to bottom he is fairly young, if he looks like a wrestler with big upper arms and not a lot of daylight underneath then he is big.  I'm heading up in June this year.

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Dave:  Hunted that region a few years ago, but late in season. Got a bear, but hunting was not as good as it had been earlier.  Your probably getting the first crack at them leaving this early.  Could be good, could be bad, according to the weather.  If this is your first Bear hunt, you may want to take just any bear.  Holding out for a trophy is not for everyone, as all of us hunt for different reasons.  The first time you see one of these in the wild, up close and personal, will forever change you. I love Bear hunting, can't wait till I get another chance, be prepaired, shoot straight, take lots of pics, you will have a great time.  Good luck.  RW

Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
Nice bear RW.  Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will try to remember it all, but when I see my first bear up close.............. who knows? Just hope I don't get all excited and shoot 10 feet over his back. Fortunately, I have killed enough deer that I think I can keep my cool... We'll see..

Again, thanks all of you.. I will bring back lots of pics. (I hope)

WoodsyDave

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
Thanks Bill... I will need lots of luck. I will be back in time for the club shoot on the 19th. Should see you there.

WoodsyDave

Offline Darren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
It is funny how 2 people meet. I am a guide at Bear Track Outfitters here in Manitoba which Dave booked his hunt with, and a long time trad gang member. I picked Dave up at the airport  on Sunday and had no clue what kind of gear he was hunting with... Hmmmmm this kind of sounds familiar hey Roy..lol. I guided these 2 men above me here on this post, and they are both great guy's. I even have a bow named after Roy that Tim Mullins from Acadian Woods made me. But thats another story. It was great having you in camp Dave, we will keep in touch. I have that package for you that i said i was going to send you. I will send it when I get back from camp in June. Michele Eichler is in camp this week. I hope the weather Gods treat us better than last week.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
Good luck and straight shooting Dave!!  R.W. great bear! I told my wife if I won the Lottery I'd bear hunt from one end of Canada to the other in one spring. Bear hunting is my all time favorite hunt in the world! Just beautiful majestic creatures!
Glenn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©