3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stop Gathering Bows?  (Read 334 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stop Gathering Bows?
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
I didn't set out to acquire more than one bow. It was a Fox High Sierra. Then I thought I had to have a Widow. Then I started visting this site a lot....(Side benefit, I've met some very fine folks!)

Over the past 3 years I've been through and kept a lot of bows. I'm thinking too many?

I really like different recurves, the beauty, feel, workmanship. As recently as this winter I thought I could shoot any of them just as good as the next. If your form is right, and you can keep your mind on task, it shouldn't matter.

Well, I think I was wrong. Some days I'll shoot 5-6 different ones. Most are in the same draw weight range but length varies from 56-62" as do the grips, sight window specs, etc. I feel like I've peaked in terms of accuracy less than I find acceptable.

More and more I find myself starting to pick out bows to sell to get the pile down to 1 (or maybe (here I go again) 2 or 3?).  I take em down, add up what the value might be, and then put em all back.

Anyone go through this?  What did you do? If I shoot one for 6 months and through the fall hunting season, will I become unattached and move em?  

I know, I probably need a couch and someone with their wallet sitting by a ticking clock.

P.S. I have one bow on order (not counting the a Metal Riser Predator ...see there I go again!). In case that Oregon-based bowyer is reading, I will complete the order--can hardly wait in fact.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stop Gathering Bows?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Yep, im going thru it right now, seems ive reached the point of no return, so its time to thin the herd.
Im past the point of looking and then putting them back, ive bit the bullet and they are going on the market. Im fond of all of mine ,but there comes a time,,,,,,, pardon me while i dry a tear, ,,, when they gotta go.

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
Hey Roy,
I think their are a lot of folks afflicted with this addiction ( now days everything else is considered an addiction so why not).

I am down to three bows, owned and sold a lot over the last several years.

The one thing I will say is I'm much more fussy over what I buy because I've been their and done that.

Odd thing is my two favorites is a McCullough 59'r and a tricked out Silvertip, not sure which one I like best.

The third bow is a flat black Morrison metal riser ILF with cheap trad tech limbs. By far my most least favorite bow however with the tuneablility of an ILF, I shoot it the best, no matter how long I go between shooting it.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
So what's your problem........   :biglaugh:   ???
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Roy,

Yes, this sounds like my story as well & this is how I began LRU my friend.  I don't know if I'll ever tire of searching for the best bows, if there is such a thing.  

Ever note the guys that are punching the top #'s at the archery meets??  They seem to NOT be afflicted with this "wonder lust" & just shoot 1 or 2 bows lights out.

Don't worry, I've seen some of your beautiful bows & like good wines, they hold up pretty well in value (in many ways) for the future.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Roy:::I've solved that problem by getting a bigger bow rack  :archer:

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Roy , you haven't got an EagleWing yet. Just saying.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
:biglaugh:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Ive got to get rid of all my rt Cu's I got to go southpaw l have a 40 lb target bow now I need a48 to 50 lb humnting bow and that's lt.seriously iv already done the collecting phase. Mostly its the budget noting wrong wit having one of everything. But id rather have money to go out of state living in ca that's not hard to understand.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Duker:
Roy:::I've solved that problem by getting a bigger bow rack   :archer:  
Same here!!!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Yea, this is the kind of therapy I need!

Sixby your sense of humor kills me!

Of course after posting this topic I grabbed a 5-day old "new to me" BBD and went to the basement range. Shot it and two others.
Thanks!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
I average one new bow every two years. I usually sell one prior to the new purchase. It is enough to satisfy my need for bows and justify the expense.

Currently I have two recurves and three longbows. I don't believe I ever owned more than five or six at one time.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Atennishu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
I have the same problem as you, except I never seem to sell any,  I do have a son and son in law and a couple nephews that enjoy hand me downs, or sometimes they shoot them when I first get them, and I never seem to get them back.
Boomer Sooner

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Completely normal.  Good to have such a pure, simple and healthy hobby.  

You'll come back to bows you've left for dead. Think long and hard before letting go of all of them.  Yet..it is also refreshing to simplify.

Good Luck and don't kick the habit just yet.

Kris

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Roy, your post and the others have made me feel better. I've thought of selling a few, in fact I sold an Assenheimer recurve at Wittingham last weekend.  Probably will be selling another bow soon.  But, I'm already thinking of another longbow that would look good in my bow rack.  Good thing my wife doesn't know.... I would be keeping company with the dog.
The work praises the man.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
Here lately I found myself really only shooting one bow so I decided to cut loose the rest. Well that really pumped up my pay pal account and was really burning a hole in my pocket LOL So I ordered a takedown version of my favorite bow , then I bought a recurve here at tradgang. Then I traded one that I had left for another. I'm right back where I started in quick order  :help:  me   :dunno:
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
My dog is my constant companion. Use to be the Wife, but things change as you get older.
I just spun around in my chair and counted the bows in the room I'm presently in. 27 either on the walls or lying about. I have 2 racks with 21 bows on 1 wall. The Wife suggested I put more racks on the wall behind my exercise equipment, since the wall is bare.   :)    :)    I thought this was a good idea, built racks to hold 30 more bows, then started to mount the racks.   :scared:  Thought she was pulling a fast one on me.
Some day she may find out about the other 42 in storage. She knows there are more, just doesn't know how many more.
The nice thing is I can swap out bows between the house and storage and she never notices any changes. But don't move something in her home decor, she'll catch it the second she enters a room.
The dog and I sleep well together, and he doesn't snore.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 03:23:00 AM »
Roy,I promise to do that myself,but with out much success,for now I enjoy to own many bow too much for giving up.
About the accuracy factor I try to use a single bow during hunting season at least at longer distances,while at less than 15 yards I ain't noticed any big difference.
Man they are addictive!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
The classifieds are addictive...that's all I'll say on that.  I shoot best when I stick with one bow but I sure enjoy having the others around.  I go through the same thing, thinking I should send a couple down the road...they're still here...

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
Wow, the experiences are very similar.

That's very familiar "motherlode"! I "only" have 15 right now and I think that's the top number plus 1 or 2 I've had. I've whittled it down to about 10 a time or two and then something is brought to my attention.

Felix you make a good point about the distance. I've found the same thing. Any of them will go boiler room at 15 and under. It's that 20-30 shooting that is a lot more finicky of form. Issues that could be affected by bow fit I guess.

You can see what this thread is doing for me. It is bringing me back from the brink to enjoy rather than regret having more bows than will fit in my bowhand at one time.

I hesitated starting this thread. I didn't want to come across as bragging or worse, an out-of-control hoarder (and I realize I have no where near as  many bows as some who have been at it a long time).

It wasn't so long ago that affording one nice bow would have been more than my family's budget could stand. With the kids grown and out of college and the house things are easier.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©