3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: * My new Love........... Montana!!  (Read 6458 times)

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: * My new Love........... Montana!!
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2006, 08:26:00 PM »
Don't you dare leave this HANGING  :banghead:    :banghead:  

more....MORE.... MORE!

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »
no way, this just aint fair!!!!!   :mad:      :mad:      :mad:
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
How can you leave us hanging like that, please please I want more.  Also thanks for sharing this awesome story and photos with us.

James

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »
Would I do that???   :bigsmyl:  

He was leading the little bucks right to me,coming the same way the does had earlier.I tried not to look at him too much,but it was hard not to notice how much bigger,body wise,he was compared to his partners....he was thick!

I kept thinking,"he's just another deer,calm down,pick your spot,and drill um'"......

He(they) kept coming,very slowly,very cautiously.He was now within range to be in big trouble,but he's facing me as he slowly closes.At about 20yds he stops,turns broadside,and looks the other way,toward the alfalfa field.

It was time to kill him...I start to bring the string to my face,and just about to hit anchor..................................he turns back, quarters toward me
and continues to come closer.Now I'm at about full draw,and have four sets of eyes coming at me....I'm only about 9ft up in this crooked tree,but have a pretty good backround.....a bad tree in a good spot,is always better than a good tree in a bad spot anyday!!!   Here's the stand......

Now he starts to cut in on a trail that goes acrossed a small ditch,this is my last opportunity,he's now about 15-17 yds,walking down into the ditch,but slightly quartering toward me.....the string slips,and another big Snuffer is on it's way.......The arrow disappears thru him about 1/3 of the way up his body,but a couple inches further back than I wanted.....

....He takes off on a short run,then stops after 30yds,stands there and looks around like nothing happened....I look quick with my bino's at the entrance hole,and don't see any blood coming out....but in no time I can tell he''s not doing well...he walks a little more and stops again,head hanging and mouth open....he lays down...gets up,takes a few steps and when I look back he was gone,laying down again I hope...his companions seem to cirlce the same spot a couple times,then walk off without him......I'm not sure he's still there,but the way the other bucks acted,they were talling me he was there,I just couldn't see him......My mind raced, I shook, I prayed,and I looked for my arrow with my glasses. I look back about 5 minutes later and see a patch of hide....he'd stood up again....then he walked a few slow stops and he was out of sight......OOOOH BOY!!!!    I noticed the rain was falling harder now........

Althought I knew I had put a pretty good shot on him,there's always the doubt and second guessing that creeps into a hunters mind.......

...Thankfully the doe had run in the opposite direction and after wating an additional 30 minutes I couldn't take it anymore...I wanted to check my arrow...I knew I could get away with it,the wind was right and he was down lower than me.....and I wanted to find the doe before all the blood was washed away and it got too dark.....

The arrow revealed just as I had suspected....."green stuff",but I knew it had to hit at least the liver,if not at least one lung....but the doubt........

Not much blood on the doe,but I knew the direction she went.I saw another buck as I looked.....I actually smelled her before I knew where she was, followed my nose right to her.......As she laid,w/Painless....

During a short picture taking session,I saw another good buck moving behind me....again...what a place!!

I got together Peter and he was so happy about the doe....then I told him we had a little job to do in the morning......he went crazy!! I told him what had gone down....in his always positive way,he said,"If you put one of those big Snuffers thru him,we have nothing to worry about,we'll get him in the morning!"
 With Peter and his million dollar smile(He had a better night than me,he just didn't kill anything)...He was so happy for me!!!!!

I would finally break in my knife from Jeremy,I'd saved it for this trip......

After a quick dressing,it was off to dinner with another friend,and a restless nights sleep......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2006, 09:38:00 PM »
WOW. Thanks for sharing guys. It's stories like this that keep me going.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2006, 10:05:00 PM »
ALRIGHT CURT,I'm with Pete,if ya put a Snuffer thru im,I've got confidence in ya,he'll be there!!  :bigsmyl:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2006, 10:07:00 PM »
Those sure are big smiles!    :bigsmyl:    They should be -- you did good!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »
The plan was to get close to where I last saw him and glass the area to hopefully see him right there.........I was filled with so much anticipation and hope....but try as I might.....I couldn't see him.....

......then Tina and Pete noticed the flock of turkeys off to our right in the small field behind my stand....I could barely see them(the turkeys) from where I was......Pete,says,"there he is,there's your buck buddy"!!  There, in the middle of the flock of turkeys laid my buck.....I couldn't believe it.......all the doubt flushed out and the relief was almost overwelming.....I hugged Tina,I hugged Peter....it was a moment I'll never forget....we were all extremely happy...As you can see in the pic....one of the small jakes was actually strutting over him......later, marks in his hair would tell that they actually pecked him as he lay there .........

a little closer,I still can't believe I stopped to take these pix( I wanted to get my hands on him),but I'm glad I did....some might think I was tellin' a tall tale.......

The merriams......

and the buck.....

....sometime after I last saw him,he apparently made his way to this spot and had dies 50yds behind my stand.........more tomorrow.....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2006, 10:29:00 PM »
Does this mean we gotta wait till morning also  :scared:    :scared:  

Good JOB Bud  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2006, 10:29:00 PM »
Man what a story ,good shooting,and thank you for taking us with you.

John
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »
Way to go Curt. Two in one sitting. That is outstanding. Great story.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2006, 11:15:00 PM »
YEEEEEEEEEEHAA! Way to go bud!!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2006, 11:17:00 PM »
Awesome!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2006, 11:19:00 PM »
Way to go Curt  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  I knew it was a matter of time and those snuffers were going to get a work out.Thats a awsome looking ranch you guys were hunting,Love the mountain with the snow on it and the turkey pictures are priceless.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2006, 11:49:00 PM »
Congrats Bro! I knew you would get it done. I wanna see some more pics of that buck.  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2006, 12:14:00 AM »
awesome
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2006, 04:23:00 AM »
Curt my friend,
What a great adventure! Sounds like you had the time of your life. Great story telling and the pictures have been increadible.
Way to go!
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2006, 05:21:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2006, 05:59:00 AM »
Thanks guys....I still can't get over what a great time I had.....but there is more!!!!

I keep telling everyone around here that I'm suffering from P.M.S.   Post Montana Syndrome!!

After thanking his creator with a silent prayer,and admiring him for a while...we drug him close to the truck.Since it was still so early,I wanted to wait for better lighting for the pix.Peter had a spot in mind for a treestand,so we went and put it up to pass some time.....

After the stand was set,we got serious about the pix.....

let me uplaod some more......
Curt } >>--->   

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2006, 06:02:00 AM »
Great buck Curt, notice you are using the baby Gorilla. Man , is there any better bang for the buck than that stand??!  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©