3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Firewood is gathered(C Lamb story)  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Firewood is gathered(C Lamb story)
« on: July 11, 2006, 03:06:00 PM »
I really hate to prod and poke the big Sunbear but I want to hear an adventure story. I've got a few pics if the Bear has a few words.

I guess I'll pull the pork ribs off the fire so we have something to snack on while we absorb another tale of adventure. CK

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Firewood is gathered(C Lamb story)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »
Hey Charlie...looks like you've been called out by the little guy....so let's get on with the tall tale.  :D   (good job Curtis, way to prod and poke)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »
Busy with domestic stuff at the moment. I'll chime in this evening with the tail.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 03:46:00 PM »
Ok, I'm now officially hungery.  Man, those ribs look gooooood!
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »
OK, I'll grease the wheels a little and make some fresh tea to go with the ribs.

Some months had passed since we first established a date that we'd all gather for a weekend of giant gar bowfishing. I always find myself with great anticipation of Charlie's arival when I know we are getting together with a common goal, Bowhunting. Bowfishing in this case would hold the attention of not only Charlie and myself but Jason Westbrock and my Dad(GK) as well. Jason and I had spent a little time discussing tactics and gear a few weeks prior while attending Comptons annual gathering in Michigan. The gathering took place thousands of miles from the intended bowfishing location but it was easy to tell by the conversation that we were both ready to have this event come to fruitation.

As I sat down to my morning coffee in front of my computer,the phone rang. I just nonchantly picked up the phone thinking it was one of my employees calling in sick or something. My heart skipped a beat then dropped into my boots as I realized it was Billy, Charlie's other half calling. Just the sound of her voice immediately sent me into a panic. The sentence that followed drove it home, "Curtis, Charlie's had a little problem"............. You can imagine long list of unimaginable thoughts that flashed through my head before she let me down somewhat easy in saying "Charlie has been robbed". WHAT? Almost before she could explain I was gathering weaponry to level the field. Somewhere in the seconds that had begun and ended this conversation, I went from one end of the emotional spectrum to the other. The rest, as you well know unfolded here on Tradgang before your very eyes. Once I'd gathered my composure and made
contact with Charlie, I knew what would inevitably happen. The Gang is always here. I've been here long enough to know everything around here eventually rights itself although it sometime comes through great effort.

Charlie would pick up the few pieces of shattered dreams that the theives hadn't stolen and he'd continue the journey south. CK

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 04:50:00 PM »
I only see enough ribs for  me .  :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »
Right on CK! Got the ribs on, now Charlie needs to add the sauce!

P.S. nice article in TBM. Artificial sweetner is good in sweet tea too..!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline dosbow56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 06:03:00 PM »
this is gonna be good, i'll be right here for the rest of the evening.......glad everything turned out the way it did. don't touch that dial!.......
dave
"We watch our arrows fly. We watch our friends' arrows fly. We can't wait 'til the next one flies. It's as though we were watching through a child's eyes the same marvelous magic trick over and over."
Dean Torges "Hunting the Osage Bow"

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »
Cool stuff and glad that the thieve's spoils have become Charlie's bounty   :thumbsup:  .

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »
Since you all know I got robbed on the way to Curtis’ house I won’t belabor that story. Just a brief sketch should do.

Stopped in Fort Worth, Texas for the night. It was about 10:30 and I’m usually a lot further south than that, but had taken a late start from St. Louis to avoid the morning traffic.... gotta go right through the worst of it to get to open highway.

I looked around and figured it didn’t look like a bad neighborhood so I got  a motel close to I-35 and tucked in for the night. I remember looking back at the truck one last time as I went in for the night. A tiny twinge of apprehension hit me, but I shrugged it off.
I normally  stay at small motels where I can have a room at ground level with truck parked right outside the window. It was an unwritten rule I would wish I had adhered to.

Next morning early (5 a.m.) I headed out the door and across the lot to my truck. No indication anything was wrong until I opened the door and looked clear through my truck to the parking lot beyond.
My recurve was laying half out the door and my two longbows were sticking out through the broken back window of the truck.

Every last thing of value in that truck down to the coin holder in the console was gone. It appeared the thieves had stayed behind the cab of the truck for cover from the motel security camera. Two coolers in the back had gone untouched... they’d have had to expose themselves to the camera to mess with that stuff.

With a call to the police taken care of and reports filed, I finally got on the road around 9 a.m.  Lots of time to think about the violation and loss of my stuff during the remaining six hours to Curtis’ place... not to mention the warm air blowing through the hole where my back passenger window had been warmly reminding me that all was not happiness.

I got to CK’s place in due time. He did his best to console me, but it would just take time. I had a couple of days to kill before Jason Wesbrock showed up and that would allow me time to return to human from the fuming, sulking beast I was at that point.

That first night we made the short run to Curtis’ lease to try for a hog and just let the solitude work me over in it’s soothing way.

I was quite a site. Not the epitome of hunting chic in my shorts, loafers and dark blue sleeveless athletic shirt I still made an effort to ambush a hog.
I’d not be blessed with seeing one that night and it’s probably just as well. It would have been some kind of grudge killing and the pigs deserved a better fate than that.

Darkness came with nothing but a few fresh mosquito bites and a ringing in my ears from the cicadas which were more than abundant. They make a different kind of noise than the one’s around home and we haven’t had them around in a couple of years where I live. (Cont.)

Got a few bowstrings to make for friends tonight. I'll get on with the good stuff in the morning with a hot cup of coffee.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 09:01:00 PM »
CK's cookin & Charlie's story telling...what could be better.  Oh Gary, you got anymore of those tecate?  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »
Nice ribs, Curtis. Man those were good. Oh, by the way...

"Sausage"...hint, hint.   ;)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »
Which way to the Florida Keys?     :D  

This is Charlie's actual hunting atire on the evening hunt. Charlie says it's kinda strange getting ready to go hunting and realize you have nothing to take but a bow and arrows. It makes getting ready a very short affair!

Jason, what sausage? I know nothing about sausage.  :D   I did get 170 shafts in the mail today. Thanks a whole bunch! CK

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 10:45:00 PM »
Dang, looks like I'm gonna have to be sneaking peeks in here while at work tommorow!  I've been waiting for this one!  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 03:51:00 AM »
Great start! I can't wait to hear the rest of it.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 07:38:00 AM »
Keep her com'in Charlie!  :thumbsup:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 08:06:00 AM »
A while back Curtis had refurbished the inside of an old school bus. I'd been hearing about it for a while and finally got to check it out. As with any project he has taken on, he had done an exceptional job with the bus.
Three bunks, bathroom (with shower), table, television, gear storage area and lots of shelves for eatin accesories.... coffee, creamer, dry goods, etc.

All the comforts of home and to top it off, there happened to be a nice level concrete pad on the property to park it on. That pad not only made for a nice level spot to park the bus, it was also big enough so that you could sit around in the morning or evening and enjoy a drink or whatever was appropriate for the time of day.

I got a good nights sleep even though the bunk I slept in (which Curtis had pronounced fit for tall guys like me) was just a wee bit short. A minor inconvenience which would have been no problem at all if I didn't like a couple a big pillows under my head.
Heck! I didn't even mind that it felt a little like being in a coffin with one side open. After all, you only have so much room to work with in a bus!

With the sun sitting somewhere just below the horizon CK and I took a steaming cup of hot coffee outside to greet the day and make our plans.
For him it would be business as usual and he'd be off to work a little before eight.

I mulled over the idea of heading back out to try and ambush a hog or some other unsuspecting critter, but frankly wasn't quite back to normal yet. Besides, I had business of my own in town. There was a hole in the back of my truck where glass had been and I needed to fill it.

We sipped on coffee and talked of hunts past and hunts to come. The mists of early morning hung over the meadows that surronded us and the air fell sweet and cool on my bare arms. It was a good morning and a reminder that this is what life is really all about. My cares were starting to fade.

The day was spent taking care of insurance matters and dozing on the couch back at the Kellar rancherita.
I shot a few arrows in the afternoon and in all was one lazy sucker. Soon Curtis and Debbie would be home from work and we'd spend an enjoyable evening visiting.

I can't forget the first of what would be many gifts I was blessed with during my stay in Texas.
A package arrived for me from Trad Ganger Chuck Pearson. It was certainly out of the blue and I was tickled to find a brand new pair of camo pants in it.
I was a little skeptical that they could possibly fit... since I'm a big ole boy... but they were perfect. Now if I could just find a camo top or something close to camo, I'd be set for hog hunting.

On Friday morning I slipped away from the house for a trip into the woods Curtis and I call Sherwood. We'd shared many adventures there in the past and I went looking for another.
I'll admit I was a little slow getting started and that may account for the reason I didn't find any game to harrass, but it was good to be out anyway.

I'd circled around to enter the brush with the predominant wind in my face. With each approach to known hog hang outs, I'd ready an arrow on the string and slow way down. But it was just not meant to happen.

Through the area where everything is covered by a plant called "Grandfather's Beard"... a tiny vine like plant that creates shady grottoes that the hogs just love.
Up to the pond where piggy sign was abundant... especially in a year like this one that is so very dry... and finally I wound around through the gate where years before I'd about been run over by a coyote responding to Curtis' vigorous rattling for deer and where he'd arrowed a nice bobcat within minutes of the kamikaze dog.

Finally I eased off up a dusty track that led to the main road, finding it unusually brushy, and stopped for a while near the skeletons of the old farm place, which always set the short hairs on the back of my neck bristling... couldn't possibly say why that is.

The rest of the day would find me getting the glass in my truck replaced and then off to the closest "big" town for a little shopping.
Absolutely nobody had any camo of any sort. Well, there was one shop in the mall that had some.

I tried to make small talk about it with the girl that worked there, trying not to stare at the tatoos adorning her arms or the five pounds of earrings that obscured her eyebrows and ears, while some very hateful and loud music pounded in my own ears.
 "Oh yeah", I said with a wry smile and casting a glance at a vibrating speaker, "I've got that album"... I don't think she got it.
The urban camo they did have in there seemed to be made for Hobits and I left in short order. I didn't have much interest in the rest of the inventory which seemed to be mostly comprised of leather things with lots of chrome studs and spikes.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 08:30:00 AM »
As always, I'm hooked.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 08:40:00 AM »
Goes better with coffee than donuts, don't it?
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 08:46:00 AM »
and not near as fattening.  :D  

I'll be going in to my mom's house to do a little painting this morning.
You all try to get some work done! I'll be back this afternoon.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©