3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Comparison of Black Widow PL and Big Jim Buffalo?  (Read 209 times)

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
Comparison of Black Widow PL and Big Jim Buffalo?
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
I am curious to know from those who have shot both a Big Jim buffalo bow and a Black Widow PL, what are the differences between them?  They look very similar, have same take-down system, same grip, Big Jim offers more custom options it seems, but are there any significant differences besides price and wait time?  How about handshock?  Smoothness?  

I'm not trying to start an argument, just an honest question for those who have handled, shot, or owned both.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Comparison of Black Widow PL and Big Jim Buffalo?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
I bought a brand new Widow PL a few years ago and loved it. I then shot a Big Jim bow a friend had and felt as if I`d been robbed. The Widow is a fine bow and I can say nothing bad about them but the Big Jim bow felt and shot as good at much less of a price. If I were to buy one of the two today I would be talking to the Big Feller.RC

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Simple answer: I have two of them buff bows (Look at my signature)

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
I'd hate to throw my hat in this ring but I'm in the Widow camp on this one - the Buff is a beauty of a bow but I wouldn't trade my t/d plx for anything at this point.  It might sound ridiculous but it would be impossible for ME to shoot a bow better than I shoot my pl...maybe as good but not better.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline sidekick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
I had a 1-piece BW PL III 60" 42# smooth draw, was quiet, no handshock and generally a nice bow. I now have in its place a 2-piece Big Jim's Buffalo 60", 41# that draws like butter, is dead quiet, no handshock, a much better shaped grip in my opinion, and in the looks department, absolutely stunning. Nothing wrong with a BW but if you've got the time, I recommend Big Jim's, you will not be disappointed.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
For me it was basically a toss up. I kept the PLX Osage but would be happy with either one. I love that PLX .
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
I have had both and for me I liked the PLV take down much better. It shot where I looked, was smooth, and the ironwood riser was a good weight for me. Mine had the talon system and was rock solid. The only bow I ever traded and wish I had not, it was just fun to shoot.

The Big Jim Buff was a disappointment because I also have a Thunder Child and love it. The Buff was a beauty but I could not his my A$$ with it and I tried for about two weeks before I traded it. Still have the TC and it is not going any where.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
I really like my Black Widow longbow.  It's been a great experience with no complaints whatsoever.  But I am also curious... because I see a lot of guys here on TG that really speak well of their Big Jim bows.  

Not to hijack the thread, but how does the 3-piece Buffalo bow measure up in this discussion?
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
I feel both bows are great choices. I have shot a Black Widow PL and it is a great bow. There is no handshock, it's fast, and quiet. I have not shot any of Big Jim's bows but based on their reputation they must be good as well. I think the only way to really tell which one you would like more is to shoot them both.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©