3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pass Through Pointers???  (Read 352 times)

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
Pass Through Pointers???
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
I am currently shooting a 51# Kanati RD longbow, with a 30" MFX arrow with 50 grain insert and a 200 grain VPA Terminator.  I have shot two pigs and a deer and have not got a pass through. I like the VPA broadhead, but am contemplating switching to a 2 blade.

My questions are, will I get better penetration with a Two blade such as a VPA Penatrator  or a Aboyer Wapiti?  Also is there any benifit to shooting a single bevel such as the Wapiti Vs. the double bevel VPA??

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pass Through Pointers???
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Did you take a broadside lung shot?
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
Either your arrows are not tuned properly or you are shooting severely angled shots. There is no reason you should not be getting a pass through with that set-up.

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:38:00 AM »
This shoots thru pigs.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
I'm surprised as well.

Are you getting two holes?...just not having the arrow completely exit? Or is the arrow stopping inside the animal and you're only getting one hole?

Possible that you hit the offside shoulder?

Possible that the heads were dull?

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
I agree with what Boomerang said. If your arrows are not going in exactly straight it has an effect on penetration.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Many factors to consider....was it a broadside shot? Did a rib or other bone git hit? How far was the shot? All these things and the fact that if your arrow was not tuned well could have a factor.I know a couple of guys that have shot thru deer with a 40# bow with a 125 gr. Muzzy 3 blade. Your set up should be plenty!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
I'm always curious, when people say pass through do they mean the arrow creates an exit hole or that the entire arrow passes through and is no longer in the animal?  

I shoot a similar set up and it blows through deer but hogs are another story.  One will depend on the size of the hog, another the angle of the shot, and the shot placement.  A smaller pig from the ground broad side behind the shoulder would seem like the best best for an exit hole.  A larger pig, from an elevated stand, quatering, and a more forward shot is going to be much harder to punch through the other side.  

Hope this helps.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
I shoot 495-520gr arrows off my 54# bow at 27in draw and typically get pass thrus on just about everything I shoot with Phantom 4bl and Muzzy standard 4bl heads so I would suspect an arrow flight issue as well.  Your setup should do fine.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Boomerang:
Either your arrows are not tuned properly or you are shooting severely angled shots. There is no reason you should not be getting a pass through with that set-up.
I agree 100%.....rib or no rib.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Something else, the animals you shot with no pass thru....did you find and get them? If so, even with no pass thru and a possible better blood trail it shows that maybe you need to do nothing different. A dead found animal is a good thing, if you can improve that it's OK....just say'n!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
I had a friend that had a 30" draw at targets and a 27" draw when shooting at animals. His stance went from high and straight to a fluid Fred Bear and he had no control over the change. He never got a pass through until he went to a lighter spined shorter arrow and practiced shooting with that more natural looking form with his Bear Super K. He shoots Bears with the bleeder blades mounted on aluminum arrows. The number of pass throughs he has gotten without a miss with that 47 pound super K is almost disturbing.  I would check your arrow fight and your form when actually trying to kill something.

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
What size MFX are you shooting? If its a 400 you should be well tuned. I shoot the same arrow from a 50lb HoytDorado and always get a pass through on deer. Never shot a hog but sounds like you may have hit bone on deer.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
Your setup is more than enough to obtain complete penetration, meaning two holes. It's hard to say what the problem is without knowing specifics. Were your shots ending up in a shoulder or the spine? Were the animals quartering to or away from you? Do you have good arrow flight, i.e. no wobbling? Plucking the string or short drawing can have some serious negative effects on penetration.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Are you coming to full draw?
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
Lots of great advise!! I did recover all three animals, the deer by pure luck it was raining which washed away any blood that was there. The pigs were both about 20 yard shots from the ground broad side. The most recent was about a 375lb pig and I got good penetration just not a second hole and I shot it twice the second shot was about 10 feet and it just poked out the other side.

My 500 MFX arrows probably need to be tuned a bit more, my award winning release probably doesn't help things out either, but I am still new to the game, so I need to work on that factor also. Thanks for the help fellas

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
How sharp are your blades?

Just from what I've read over the years...

If you have a 27" or longer draw and...

If you get your setup tuned to shoot a straight arrow and have darn sharp blades you'll be slippin right through.

That 10 foot "poked out" statement really kinda shows you might have some fairly serious tuning issues to sort out.

If I were you, since your arrows are already fletched, I'd shoot thru some paper and see what the heck is going on....I'll bet you have some big tears.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
I second paper tuning to see what is really happening. Still, it's hard make an assessment on just a couple of shots, especially if one is on a 375# hog. A broadside shot on a hog that big, if it's placed correctly, has a lot of thick hide, muscle and probably shield, to go through.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Get closer! It helps with penetration and your stalking at the same time
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Assuming you draw 28" you may be under spined with 500's and 250 gr on a 30" arrow.  I too suggest tuning is the issue.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©