3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kids and Traditional Archery Therapy  (Read 181 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Kids and Traditional Archery Therapy
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
I was watching my kids carry on with their friends yesterday. I have noticed as they get older(9-11yo) they seem to get bolder and peer pressure becomes prominent.

So I am planning to take them camping and trad shooting(stumpen) when we camp, to regroup/redirect them back to some normalcy with themselves.

So I would like to hear some stories of who does this and if you have pics post them.Thanks Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kids and Traditional Archery Therapy
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Every chance we can Tim.  That is what they make rendiviouxs and gatherings for, not to mention early season scouting and bunny season.  I even get my boys (6&8) out atleast once a year, each, to hunt with me.  I know going into it we probably won't get anything, but they don't know that.  Just great quality time together.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
I took both of my boys...and their friends...to every shoot I could when they were growing up.  From very young, and still to this day if I can (they are both in their twenties).    A lot of great lessons taught to them and their friends about camping, the outdoors, safety, bowhunting...and they loved every minute of it.   Just make it "their time"....and focus on their fun first....and you'll never regret it.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
Start them young (my kids 4yrs old ) keep it fun and you will always have something incomin to talk and do together
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
My boys love to camp and shoot. They are 6 and 4 and have a few overnight canoe trips and a bunch of bow shoots under their belts. Listening to them tell tales of high adventure in the vast wilderness of Indiana is priceless.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Rob, great pics!
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
As they say....teach your kids to hunt and you won't have to hunt for your kids!!   :wavey:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Arrowest

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Wow Tim, love this thread. Brought back so many memories of my son & I getting out in the bush, hunting, fishing, camping, canoeing, scouting, shed hunting, etc.

He will be 24 in June and has accomplished so much in his short life that has involved the outdoors that I couldn't be more pleased or proud of.

Most of the early photos I have of him and us are not digital, so not able to post here.  But picture this.....(back 2 decades) he's 4 years old, dressed in a very small set of camo fleece that Mom made for him, a little bit of camo face paint, got his water bottle and he's all ready to go hunting with Dad. Off we go to hunt some mule deer, now I'm not expecting too much to happen, remember that being quiet is not a 4 years olds strength, but low & behold we get into them. Now...my little guy is doing a really good job to be as quiet as he can, cause ya know...this is serious stuff we're doing... Anyway, the shot opportunity doesn't quite happen so we start heading back to the truck.  Remember though, this whole time, almost a 1/2 hour he has been pretty much silent as a mouse.  We're walking along and I get this tug on my pant leg and he looks up at me and says in this very hushed whisper..."Dad, can we talk loud now?".... Sorta chokes a guy right up...!!

He's been my best friend and hunting partner for 20 years now.  I spent the time with him when he was young and he'll get to take me hunting when I'm older.

You can never go wrong with getting kids outdoors.  What's the saying..."take a kid hunting & fishing, and they're not out mugging old ladies".
cheers, Dale

"TGMM Family of the Bow"
Kempf - Raven 50@28, Kwik Styk 51@28, Li'l Grizzly 50@28,
Checkmate Hunter III, 50@28, Bear Kodiak Magnum (70's) 45@28

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
These pics are wonderful to see.
I was nine when we camped from VA to CA. Never forget it, it was exactly what I needed. Ask my sister, and she will declare it to be the worst ordeal she ever went through. Go figure.

Nobody hunted, or even really fished in my family. I changed that. What a boon it would have been to have had parents that wanted to do all that!

Or, I might have rebelled...   :dunno:  
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
Gee Killy i cant see you as a rebel(insert the sarcastic tone). It sound like that trip changed your outlook on what you like.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
My daughter started kindergarden this year and even at age 6 we have noticed that peer pressure is filtering into her personality.  I started her shooting two years ago and she really gets into it sometimes and could take it or leave it others.  We have taken four or five daddy daughter trips to our family deer camp ranging from one to three nights not during deer season when it is just the two of us.  We spend the day hiking and stumping and then the evening taking about our adventures from the day (the evening is usually pretty short as she is worn out!).  These have been some of my favorite deer camp memories and I can't wait to start having the same sort of getaways with my son. I hope the time that we spend now will result in the type of relationship that Arrowest describes above and helps bring both of my kids back to the strong sense of self confidence and reliance that I think are so important.
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©