3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: geting ready for hogs & Javalina  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
geting ready for hogs & Javalina
« on: January 16, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
I am going on my first trad hog & Javlina hunt the end of Feb with Barry and Gene.  I didn't realize how excited I was getting till this weekend and I found myself working on antoher dozen arrows, a new sheath for a small skinner and a new hunting quiver.  I put together a little celtic knot decorated sheath that can be worn as an armpit knife ala the Scots Skein Dhu or at the waist in a cross draw postion.  The quiver is the back quiver I wanted with a slightly medieval look (a castle crenelated top band.).  I was really pleased this weekend using it at the range. Arrows come easily to hand and it is quiet and of course will slip through brush as easily as the wearer is able to.  For you leatherworkers I used an elk hide buckled strap whith the rough side next to me so it will stay in whatever position I want to wear it, yet will easily move under my arm for moving through brush.  The body is 4-6 ounce veg-tan which conforms to my back so bending over doesn't leave a pile of arrows on the ground.  To pad the Wensel broadheads I will make little leather tubes they will sit in.  Next I will be making sure my camping gear is in order.
Pete Darby

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: geting ready for hogs & Javalina
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
Pete;
If the last couple days have been any indication bring some wool camo and perhaps a rain suit.  Hogs and Javies are neat to hunt.  Don't shot them like you would a deer.  Hitting right were the front leg jions the chest is a better shot.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
are you on hunt #4, the last week of feb. if so I will be there as well.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
Pete: Now you see why the "off-season" bowhunts are so popular. Half the fun is in preparation; field testing new stuff; sitting around the campfire spitting tobacco and swapping lies. Not to mention the hunting is fun. Hogdancer and his buddies joined us last year.. now he's hooked too. Sweet dreams! BW

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
Hogdancer,
Yep #4  Looking forward to meeting everyone.  Terry and I plan to drive down together.  Should be there for the early pickup on Sunday.
Pete Darby

Offline mlmealey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
BW, are you going to be at the Iowa Deer Classic in March? or are you going with Gene to WI
IBA life member
PBS regular member
Compton TB member

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
Mike: No, I have my whitetail bootcamps starting in early March through March 24th. By the way, I still have I think six openings left and this might be my last year for doing them if anyone's interested. All the info is listed on our website. I'm real proud of the fact two of my attendees got B&C bucks with their bows last year. That's rewarding. Thanks. BW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©