3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bareshaft?  (Read 169 times)

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
bareshaft?
« on: May 05, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
My bare shafts and fletched arrows group together out to 30m. They show just slightly weak in flight, but group together or just slightly weak (maybe 1" difference) at 30m.
Broadheads and field points also impact pretty well the same at this distance.
 I have been happy with this, as O.L.Adcock and others recomend a slightly weak and slightly high nock point.(bare shafts right and low)
 Lately have increased my distance to 40 and 50m. At 40m my bareshafts impact about 2"-3" right and level,at 50m they average about 4"or a bit more, and also impact slightly high, I have raised my nock point a touch, and they seem to impact about the same hight.(a bit hard to tell at this distances, but can usualy put 8 shafts into 8"-10" at 40m, and 12"-14" at 50m take away the ocasional flyer.
 SHOULD I be looking for a closer grouping between the fletched and bare shafts? Is this too weak,or should they be impacting the same? or closer together? Or am I just being too ANAL?
 Thanks Dan

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bareshaft?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
"Or am I just being too ANAL?"

You don't mention what your bow set up is.  Olympic recurve with all the bells and whistles or more traditional bare bow. You mention broadheads so I would think the latter.  12-14" at 50 meters, and bare bow is well within the natural dispersion pattern for REALLY good shooting AND equipment match/tune.  Fletch them up and go shoot!

IF you are talking about a sighted full up recurve then I'd suggest that you are ready to do some serious "walk back" tuning, but this is a sight and plunger adjustment process that is NOT applicable to bare bow.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
I don't think your being anal. Some of us are always striving to be better then we are at the moment. When people ask me how good I am I always say that I am not as good as I am going to be.
Only you wil be able to decide if that is close enough for you. Although I will add that to go further then you are right now will take time and effort and only you  know if you are willing to pay the price to walk down that road.    Ric
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Have to hand it to you partner. That's great shooting at 50m especially. For me to shoot 50m, the target would need a bell on it.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©