3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Bow You Have To Own  (Read 922 times)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Bow You Have To Own
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
I have mine too. My Northern Mist Hill style and my Shrews. Never hurts to have a couple spares though  :bigsmyl:  maybe somethin in green glass...

Eric

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Love my Hills! Always have. Can't say enough good. Perfect specs, 70" ntn & 80#@28". Should have... didn't.

Closest thing is Schulzie, John Schulz 68" 80#@29". Sweet as molasses ginger snaps & fine hard shooter, but no cigar.  

Have a Ron Maulding Tamarak coming in the mail right on the money! Great shooting beaut! Hope to settle the score once & for all!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
a stalker recurve, a wes wallace recurve, and a great northern longbow, would love to have the pleasure to shoot these someday

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
Tomahawk Longbows! I currently own a Diamond series SS and the new Legacy series (which is my dream bow)
James Kerr

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Love the great northern super Ghost I just picked up

Someday, a shrew lil favorite  and
every bow lukas novatny makes!
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 01:21:00 AM »
I have Harvest Master coming soon, so its the ONE I have to have.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Festivus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 03:32:00 AM »
Saluki. All of them.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 05:08:00 AM »
Got it already. my Price  rd long bow .But theres always room for another bow.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 05:13:00 AM »
Lots of great bows out there, but for the kinds of hunting I do, particularly when needing to walk long distances or shoot from tight quarters, nothing beats a Shrew, which is why I have more than a dozen of them, with a new Shrew Safari being built right now for my second buffalo hunt in Oz in July.

Although heavier and longer than my Shrews, Brackenbury bows are among the best shooting bows out there, especially the Peerless, which lives up to its name. I don't think there is a better constructed bow in existence. It shoots like a dream!

And the Morrison bows have everything to recommend them also. Fast, smooth and accurate, with the ability to interchange limbs, Bob's bows are maybe the most versatile made.

Then there are the most beautiful bows made, that also shoot very well, with Norm Johnson leading the pack with his Blacktail bows (especially the Snakebit that is beyond beautiful), and Steve Tallant hot on Norm's heels with the Eagle Wing bows.

There are so many other bows that are great too, but I just don't have room for all of them. I would eventually like to make space for one of Big Jim's Thunderchild bows, and maybe a sweet little bow from Lee Hoots. I'm sure others will tempt me also.

If I could only have one bow to hunt with for the rest of my life, and I didn't plan to ever again hunt really heavy game like buffalo, I would pick a two-piece Shrew Classic Hunter in the 50 to 55 pound range shooting AD Trad Lite arrows sporting VPA broadheads carried on the bow in an EFA quiver (with the Totem option)-- a great combination that is light, handy and very effective (and can be beautiful as well with exotic wood in the riser and veneers).

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 05:15:00 AM »
Ooooops!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Always wanted a Silvertip, got one and ordered a set of new limbs from Dave. I should have them Monday or Tuesday of this week. Can't wait to give it a go with my 46# @ 29" Black Glass limbs, will make a 60" bow! I'm excited   :jumper:    :jumper:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
64" Silvertip recurve with 2 sets of camo limbs, 70lb and 80lbs. walnut diamondwood riser with checkered grip. The Lord provided me with 2 of them one by Paul and one by Dave. I'm content and thankful.
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
I have spent alot of time and money learning about traditional archery. I will admit to having an addiction to this lifestyle. I have enjoyed this journey more than words could ever say and feel a little sad I had not found it earlier in life. Having said that, I believe most will always wonder if that beautiful bow they see in the hands of another or on the table at an expo will have more mojo than the one they have. I sold a bow almost 3 years ago to put the funds towards a new custom. I felt I was making a mistake at the time. So much that I asked the buyer to please give me first chance to buy it back should he ever sell it. Through the months I would always give a light hearted reminder "Remember, you said you would give me first chance". The stars did align. I did just recently purchased that bow back. I will not lay claim to it being the Holy Grail bow but I will say this bow is the one bow that truely fits me, my shooting style, and my perception of what I believe a hunting bow should look and feel like. We work well together like no other bow I've ever owned. I do love my others, they serve me well. Their beauty and performance not lacking in any way. I am bound to the ones I have as if they were my children or best friends. I do have a desire to build and hunt with something made from my own hands, Lord willing I will one day. The bow I have dedicated to my "Go to Bow" is my Dwyer Defiant, 60", 55#@28" Longbow. Truely a go anywhere, do anything bow. Stealthy quiet and great performance with a 615gr. arrow that is absolutely beautiful to see in flight. It is the bow that seems to most always hit the mark with the first arrow I release. This bow is not the fastest, or the hardest hitting bow I shoot, but our timing is great as we work together. If your holding a bow that gives you unshakeable confidence, don't let it go! It just doesn't get any better than that!
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
I have tried many bows, both long R/D and recurves, With only a few exceptions I find all of them to shoot very smooth and accurate, at the present time my two go to bows are a Leon Stewart 3 pc. and a one piece Cari Bow Featherhorn. there are other bows that I don't own that also shoot very well but the grass always looks greener.

I would like to own a Shrew 54" LB some day, maybe!

What is interesting is, that no one type or brand of bow stands out in most of these types of posts, which truly just goes to prove that we are all built a little different, and those little differences make one type or brand of bow  a little more comfortable for each of us.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
My favorite is a 64" Blacktail Elite TD.  I've got several nice recurves but none has the combination of performance, craftsmanship, and quiet shooting of the Blacktail.  I stupidly  sold the first one I had, and picked up the one I have not in the classifieds.  I have a new BT on order which I expect to become my new #1 bow.

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
I MUST own a 66" Bamabows hunter model in dark stained curly maple with black glass over bamboo.

Because that is what I am waiting on.  :D  It will be my first longbow.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline tishtail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
for me it would be a hill wesley special if Howard Hill made and made and signed or some thing from Papa Bear that he personlly made and signed

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
I feel like the luckiest guy in the world, I've got my one bow! I took all of my likes/dislikes from shooting dozens (maybe hundreds) of bows and worked with a bowyer for a few months on a design specifically for my form and hunting/shooting needs. The night it came out of the box I was shooting it better than any bow I've ever shot, well worth the money and the long wait!

So what does a guy do when he has found the perfect bow? Go shopping for another one! I'm looking for a Northern Mist D shaped longbow for "longbow only" events (and maybe a pig hunt next year if I'm lucky!)

If it works out, I plan to keep my bow rack at two for a while. Yeah, that "one-bow" idea didn't work out for me afterall, darn gotta go buy another bow    :laughing:  
Thom

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
I used to lots of bows in my "stable". After I got my two Blacktails, I sold all the bows in my stable because I knew I wouldn't shoot them anymore.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
WELL....
The next bow I get..is going to be the ONE!
I say that every time...lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©