3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Static tip recurve, what does it mean?  (Read 454 times)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
Static tip recurve, what does it mean?
« on: May 06, 2012, 04:56:00 AM »
Hello gang,

What does static tip recurve mean exactlhy, how are they build, how can you recognize them and what are the benefits?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Static tip recurve, what does it mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
Flying Dutchman,

I just recieved my second static limb bow this past week and I'm not a bowyer and just my personnal observation from shooting them but RER Arroyo has a limb design that when strung makes very minimal contact to the string and the string angle when the bow is drawn has less of an angle that some short bows are known for pinching your fingers and causing discomfort while you draw...There also seems to be less stacking as the bow is drawn ...I was just shooting my Arroyo Friday evening bare fingers for a while and if you saw my right hand it was severed in a logsplitter and reattached at the mid palm area and I was pulling a 50# bow with no problem or hardly any pain to my fingers on that hand...Don't get me wrong I do use a glove but my glove was catching on the finger stalls and my release was off on a few and that's why I chose to remove my glove...I'll find a better glove so I don't catch my string on release on a stall...The rer Bows look like the limbs are 90 degrees at the tips when unstrung and when strung maybe an 11/2 inch or less touchs the limb when strung...I need to measure that for clarity but you will notive a smoother drawing bow that feels good on the draw and no pinch...Keefers <><

This was the only pic I had from my old RER Arroyo and a pic of my hand and what a difference a static limbed bow makes when you are looking for a bow with No Finger Pinch...

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
I can't give you the testimonial that Keefer gave you. I will say this, My Static Tip Limbs from Stalker on the Hybrid riser makes for a VERY smooth draw, and a quick, quiet shot.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
A recurve bow, as you are aware, is a flatbow that has the limb ends bent forward to some degree.  The reason or thought was that these would flex and open up and form a second lever, get more speed, make for less string angle on a shorter bow, and maybe a few other things.

I believe a "static recurve" means that these curves are designed so that they do not flex as much, do not open up, but still create a second lever effect etc.  

RER has it down with respect to what I consider static recurves.  Kevin's bows are pretty dang nice.
ChuckC

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
If my camera wasn't on the brink I would show you my new Static RER Arroyo and it also has the same profile of my older RER Arroyo in the pic above but with a new improved grip and a buddy of mine shot it better then me Friday evening and from what I could witness was one flat arrow with hardly any noticeable drop as it left the shelf and he was bare shafting and never saw his arrow hit the spot as he related how quick it shot...Kevin had put action boo limb cores in this one and my buddy Otis was standing about 17 yards and he was very impressed with the speed from the bow...You got to give it more care stringing these bows cause the limbs are "L" shaped or like a 90 degree angle and other then that Kevin has some decent mass weight for the 58 " bow but I'm certain the smaller lengths have no pinch also...This is just the results on RER Stactic limbs now who else got static on different bows and how do you like the feel...Flying Dutchman this is a good thread you started and I also would like to know how others feel about it and why it was designed...As my picture above shows my hand injury I hope no one is upset I posted my hand but my point is I am very limited on shooting a heavy bow and the Arroyo is 50#@28" and I can pull it with ease but not quite to 28" so if I can pull it with ease then someone with a normal hand will really notice how static limbs work to your advantage...There once was a post somewhere here where someone had drawn how the string angle would be on most normal limbed recurves and what it would look like with static limbs...You will see the area where you would place your fingers on the string was more flat rather then to a point so to speak...   :archer:

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
Here's a quick comparison that I did between a static and dynamic tip of the same bowyer.

http://beyondtheridge.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/dynamic-or-static-stalker/

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Great comparison Ryan. That is very helpful information and easy to understand.  :thumbsup:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by S2 Bowstrings:
Here's a quick comparison that I did between a static and dynamic tip of the same bowyer.

Aloha!
Ryan
Nice write up

Offline 187BOWHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
nice comparrison review Ryan

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »

String angle. If you look at the string angle you will see that the bow string stays on the limb much longer before it lifts off of the limb . This acts like a cam does in that it maintains a constant string angle through the entire or close to the entire draw cycle. That extrapolates to a fantasticaly smooth draw cycle which is very even in numbers plus it virtually eliminates finger pinch.

Other attributes over a working recurve is that the string returns the same way upon release and this basicaly means it rolls up on the limb instead of slapping it suddenly at the bottom. Effect, very quiet. Almost longbow quiet.
The pic posted for demonstration is an early Talon which is now replaced with the Talon 11 improved limb design.

Thanks and hope this helps, God bless you, Steve

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Ad , didn't you shoot Huberts bow? That is a static Talon 11/

God bless, Steve

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 03:28:00 AM »
Thank you Steve! I wasn't aware of the phenomene "static tip" then. But I DO remember it was a fantastic shooter!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 03:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by S2 Bowstrings:

Aloha!
Ryan
Thanks Ryan, yoy made it very clear for me!
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 04:45:00 AM »
You're welcome guys, glad it helped.

Steve's got really great information    :thumbsup:    , my stuff is just my personal opinion between to two.

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 06:34:00 AM »
More great info from this site.
Thanks for the tutorial, guys. That really explains it for me. A quieter, smoother recurve says to all.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Online ssoden

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
I've owned many bows ... I then purchased a RER XR ... Static tip recurve. I was so amazed how well the bow shot, faster pound per pound than all my other bows, smoother, very quite .. I sold all my others and now own two XR's. If you have never shot one..you should!

Steve

Online ssoden

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
ttt

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
I have a commanche static tip recurve gives new meaning to dead in the hand. Pail brunner used to shoot and sell them.they were made by Curtis byrd out of Texas.wish I could find alefty.on a calm day on the beach here in no ca igot almost 240 yrds w a560 gr arrow 61lb bow.
Arrow_Flynn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©