3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrows moving left/right in flight.  (Read 449 times)

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrows moving left/right in flight.
« on: May 06, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
Not sure if this is a shooters form forum item, or here! My arrows move left/right in flight. Any advise? Thanks!!
That which doesn't kill me, will make me stronger!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows moving left/right in flight.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
It sounds like you are either over spined or under spined.
James Kerr

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
I have a 55# long bow, and a 50# recurve, shooting 5575 Gold Tip Expedition arrows that weigh about 540 grains.

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
If they are coming out knock left they are typically underspined, knock right overspined. Unless you have a really long draw I find it hard to believe 5575's are underspined.
Are you certain their not knock right and hitting left? If that is the case add a more weight to  the tip.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
How far are they doing that ?  All arrows, no matter how well spined and tuned, do that for a bit.
ChuckC

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »
I have 250 grain field points up front, My draw length is about 30.5", and the arrows are cut 30.5" carbon to carbon. They are hitting the target (on the occassion I do hit it!) straight on.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Your draw and your arrow length cant be the same length. How far past the front of the bow does the arrow stick out when at full draw? Not counting the length of the point.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
sinawalli,

You just started working with your release on the shooter's forum!  Do one thing at a time.  Your arrow flight will (or may) be a little poor for a little while but as I said over there you need to work on it for a little while to get it grooved in.

While this is in progress, I would strongly suggest that you NOT start fussing with your arrows too.  I also suggest that your arrows will fly just fine for now. No, they may NOT fly as well as they can but if your are working on one thing, don't change something else.  I would even go so far as to suggest that you shoot and practice with your release fix for one entire month BEFORE you worry about changing any arrow parameter.  You may save yourself a long "tail chasing" session.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
Sure they can.  Just, not very well with broadheads.  Folks used to pull the field point right onto the shelf before.  I have seen overdraw stickbows (yep, before compounds got big) where the arrow was actually drawn just beyond point your hand makes contact with the handle.
ChuckC

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
That picture in my mind seams very dangerous.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
sinawalli,

You just started working with your release on the shooter's forum!  Do one thing at a time.  Your arrow flight will (or may) be a little poor for a little while but as I said over there you need to work on it for a little while to get it grooved in.

While this is in progress, I would strongly suggest that you NOT start fussing with your arrows too.  I also suggest that your arrows will fly just fine for now. No, they may NOT fly as well as they can but if your are working on one thing, don't change something else.  I would even go so far as to suggest that you shoot and practice with your release fix for one entire month BEFORE you worry about changing any arrow parameter.  You may save yourself a long "tail chasing" session.
Roger that Sir! Baby steps!!  :)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Overdraws were very popular with compounds back in the day, mostly cause it created a shorter, lighter stiffer arrow.  Because compound risers were mostly machined way past center, you had more room to play.  But I do recall seeing several recurves with built in (not on)place overdraws, early in the 70's.

And yes,  it was really asking for trouble (my personal thoughts).
ChuckC

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 02:10:00 AM »
Generally left/right is brace; up/down is nock. Check the easy things first.

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
I agree that this may be a release issue. For myself, if I see that my arrow moves as you describe that is an indicator that my drawing-arm elbow is above horizontal, in relation to the arrow and bow-arm. Lower the elbow and life is good.

Offline wmjbyatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
The issue may also be gripping with the bow hand, I think (is this what Bjorn was saying?). If you're actually squeezing the bow with your bow hand, you'll torque the whole contraption sideways at release, flinging an arrow to the side.
It is called the form of the formless, And the image of non~existence. it is called mystery. Meet it, you cannot see its face; Follow it, you cannot see its back.

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
Took my bow out to shoot today, only to find that the nocks moves! ): Took it in to a local archery shop, and had the guy reposition it. Was able to consistently shoot 6 arrows in 4" groups at least half a dozen times! I was impressed! Normally I suffer from CHS (can't hit *hit)!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©