3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Bear attacked my turkey decoy!  (Read 598 times)

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Bear attacked my turkey decoy!
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
I should have known it was going to be an interesting day when realized I forgot my camera.  

I set up my jake decoy facing me about 12 yards out on a small plateau and got nestled in front of a giant clump of vines and multiflora that was climbing a decent sized tree trunk.  It was a perfect set up for the ghillie.  I had dense cover behind and some sparse stuff in front.  

After about an hour, I see movement and hear a twig break off to my left.  I turn my head and I see a black bear about 10 yards away!  It had no clue I was there, and it apparently did not know I was there either.  I watched it lumbering about, stopping now and again to scratch itself.  It spotted my jake and slowly approached it from behind, sniffing the air hard.  It was upwind of me.  It started to paw at my plastic shell of a decoy and I though “HOW COOL”!  I wish I had my camera!  Then it started to get behind the decoy and actually bit the head of my jake!  

OK, that’s enough of that!  I was not going to let it destroy my decoy.  So I stand up and get its attention.  I took a step back, but did not seem too alarmed.  I took off my head net so it could see I was a person and was expecting it to run away at any moment.   It just looked at me quizzically.  Now, my heart is beginning to pound harder.  This thing is not scared!  

I approached it a few more loud steps and it ran back a few bounds to where it approached from my left.  Still quizzical, it would start coming toward me sniffing after I stopped pursuing.  Now, it was behind me.  Great. I can’t turkey hunt with this thing behind me!  So I again walked toward it.  Same deal.  Just kept coming back.  I reached down and threw some large chunks of bark that came down from a dead tree.  It would go over to the chunks after they landed and sniff them.  Great, now I am playing fetch with an adult black bear!  Finally I decide to full out charge the bear and run toward it.  I run about 15 yards and it runs about the same distance, stops, and starts to return again.  

OK, done playing nice.   I grabbed a steel blunt arrow from my quiver and decide to try to sting this thing in the ass and get it some fear of humans.  I really did not want to hurt it badly though, and the 60 pound bow with heavy wood shaft would get some penetration….  I decide to try to short draw it.  It was sitting about 15 yards at the base of a tree.  I took aim at his big ole rump, and let fly.  Of course I missed low….doh!!!  

It bounded off a couple more steps and started turning over logs looking for bugs!  Amazing!!!  

Finally it lumbers off up the hill.  I got back in my hiding spot, but it was very hard to keep still after that, and I kept looking behind me.  I think the bear was a teen / adult but probably not over 150 pounds.   Larger than a deer by far, but not the huge rumped gal I saw in my backyard before.

As things quieted down I hear a twig snap from the same area the bear came.  Oh boy, is it back?  A turkey???  Nope, 3 deer.  They were slowly feeding and moving by me.  It would have been another easy shot at 10 yards had they been in season.  This Ghillie suit hunting is getting more and more exciting.

So I never did see any turkey that morning…but boy was it exciting!  

I NEED to carry that camera every time!

Re: Black Bear attacked my turkey decoy!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
That is a cool story. I'm glad it was you and not me though. So,......... did you have to throw away your drawers after you got home?

Bisch

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
Good story!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
Should have just let him alone. The worst that would have happened is that he'd have snuck up behind you, sniffed you a little and then bit your head off.
After that I'm sure he'd have lost interest and moved on.
   ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  Yikes!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
If you had been bear hunting, you would have been covered up in turkeys! I bet you will remember that hunt for a while.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
My guess is you haven't seen the last of the bruin.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Your tougher than I am !  That bear would of known What I  was from the smell coming from my shorts     :rolleyes:
& I have been bear hunting before up in a tree when the bear decided to climb the tree, but I had more than a bow in my hands so I was not too nervous, as soon as I stomped my foot I learned how fast a bear can run !

But on the ground & eye to eye with just a bow in hand & a bear that is not afraid is not the way I want to be close to a bear ! My fear is always that the dang thing will have cubs and that changes the whole ballgame on a black bears temperament. I'm just a boy yet compared to you guys who stand up to a bear on the ground, then again I would probably do the wrong thing and take off running and screaming like a little girl       :knothead:

Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
If you'd just take a camera, nothing like that would ever happen  :thumbsup:  Sounds like a fun morning though.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
That was a neat hunt!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
Wow, what an awesome encounter!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
That'll make the ole' butt pucker!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
That is the type of hunt that will last a lifetime in your memories and stories!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
That's awesome! Great story thanks for sharing!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
Cool   :thumbsup:  that is awesome. looking forward to when you down a deer in that ghillie
Semper Fidelis

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
Usually a bear that is not afraid of humans, it has the potential of becoming a problem bear. Maybe someone has been feeding it...bad idea. I would be cautious, he might turn on you next time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing with us.    :thumbsup:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Well, on the bear's behalf, I would have to say he probably had never seen a turkey and a bush act like that before.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Great, now I have to go buy a pile of turkey decoys for bear bait! Is there a particular kind that appeals to the bears?

Great story!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©