3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will this work? (arrows)  (Read 363 times)

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
Will this work? (arrows)
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
Hi gents, just was wondering if this would get me in the ballpark and hopefully work. I'm running a 50#@28" MOAB and I draw a true 27"s. I'm  planning on running 160 grizzly's w/100gr steel adapters, standard aluminum inserts in GT trad 35/55's. I've never done it before but I plan on just bareshaft tuning starting with them at FL and cutting down from there as needed.

I've played with the StuMiller spine calculator and "IF" my inputs are correct it looks like it calls for about 50# and when I spec out a 35/55 with 260gr they'll be at about 45# down at 28".

I'm just wondering if my chosen combo will likely work?

Thanks in advance for your time, Brad.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will this work? (arrows)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
Sounds like it should be close.
Only one way to find out.
Start tinkeren.

John

Offline trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Just make sure before you cut!! you are probably not too far off from being right with a full length shaft. I shoot full length 35/55s with 100 gr brass insert and 225 field points out of my 56# fox royal crown, 27" draw and they will bare shaft all in a nice 8" circle with fletched shafts at 35yds when i do my part. like outwest said, start tinkerin! oh yeah,  in my experience stus calc. seems to always show a stiffer shaft that what bareshaft shows with carbons. it seems to be on the money with wood though. go figure

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
Thanks Guys for the info. I've been shooting a 60# bow for years and am just stepping down in weight due to elbow issues. All the arrows I have on hand that are spined right are all too short since they are for my wife's bow/bows and her short/er draw length. She's also only ever uses wood arrows so I'm just starting from scratch and haven't had to tune a bow in a long time. Just was hoping that I was going to be close with what I want to run. Thanks, Brad.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Hey Ol'buddy,good to see you tinkerin' with that new bow.I've never really shot Carbons.I was shooting 28-1/2" 2213 Alum's with 200 grains up front.Zwickey Eskimo and 75 gr.steel inserts.Total arrow weight was 597 Gr.they flew like darts.I would have tackled anything with that bow of yours.I really hope you like her my friend.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
I suspect that setup may be a little weak.You are planning on 275 grs up front on a .500 spine shaft and Steve's setup was a little over 200 grs up front of a .485 spine shaft.Only tuning will tell but you may need to reduce front end weight or go to 55/75's with that much weight.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
I would think the 35/55 would work well for you.
James Kerr

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Thanks Steve, I got lucky and "I" get to use the MOAB instead of my wife. I picked up a used Bear Montana for her last week and she just loves it. She said she wanted to keep shooting the Montana and I didn't argue with her. (grin) I've always been a recurve guy and have never really played with too many longbows that I liked. As soon as I picked up this MOAB I was impressed with it. It draws very smooth as well. I just plain like it!!!

All, I'm not dead set on point weight, that's just where I would like to be. If I have to go down to get them to work I can live with that. I haven't ordered any new broadheads yet so I'm good there. I've just wanted to try the grizzly's and figured this would be a good time to start.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
Brad on almost all my arrows I've had some real good luck with 160 gr. Grizzlys with 20 gr. alum inserts .Mo matter what weight arrow I put thse on they just seam to fly great.I just talked withBill at zipper and ordered 1 doz. new 170 gr. Kodiaks.I've got some big plans with these heads.
I was just looking at your set-up again and think for your set-up it might be a bit heavy.Try 200 grain total up front,they sure shoot great for me.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 05:33:00 AM »
I think that cut to 28" they will work with that weight up front. Start long and work your way down.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
You do definitely have some shaft you can cut and that would make a difference.I would start with standard aluminum adapters first and see how much point weight you can use,then go from their.

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Will do Jim. I'll have a dozen shafts showing up this week and I'll get to it. I think I'll start with around 200gr up front and see where that gets me, then I can add weight if needed.

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Well I was surprised with what I ended up with. I played with the calculator and my old 55/75 gt's from another bow  and it looked like 350gr up front would be right. Since these already had 100gr inserts I decided to try them after screwing in a 250gr field point.. To my surprise I found they bare shafted quite a bit on the stiff side compared to the fletched shaft.

So with that experiment over I moved on to the 35/55's at full length. I started with the standard al insert and 250gr head. The bareshafted weak. I started trimming and when I got to just under 29" I had the bareshaft hitting right with the fletched shafts.

Now on the calculator this setup should be weak, but man do they fly good. I'm not gonna worry what the calculator says and I'm gonna shoot this combo.

Just thought I'd let everyone know where I ended up. Brad.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©