3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Buck From The Ground---pics!!!  (Read 645 times)

Offline Mohillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
First Buck From The Ground---pics!!!
« on: November 11, 2006, 09:09:00 PM »
Got my first buck from the ground with a bow.  Here are the pics, I will tell the tale later.

Bret

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Buck From The Ground---pics!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »
congrats, awesome buck!!!!!!! can't wait to hear the story!!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 09:16:00 PM »
Man Mo, you are having a GOOD year    :clapper:

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »
NICE BUCK!!!!

WOW that sure is BIG!!!

The only downside I see is how are you going to top that next year????

Way to go!
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Pasty Face

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »
Mo, you da man. I cant even get a doe in range. That buck is great, way to go. You give me hope that this can be done from the ground.

That rack is perfect.  

DID I SAY WAY TO GO

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 09:37:00 PM »
Awesome. Don't know if I could hold it together with a critter that big from the ground... or from a tree for that matter! How far was the shot? I shot my first "on purpose from the ground" deer this year. It is intense isn't it? Look forward to the story. He is impressive.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »
Dandy! Congrats   :thumbsup:    :clapper:  

Waiting for the story!
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Dalebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 09:52:00 PM »
WOW!!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 09:55:00 PM »
Super buck Bret!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 11:02:00 PM »
Very nice animal...can't wait for the story...

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »
Nice buck neighbor!

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 11:36:00 PM »
Great deer....

Tell us the story...  

And on the ground, nicely done !

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 11:49:00 PM »
Bret, That is an awesome buck. Congrats  :thumbsup:   I can't wait for the story.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 11:52:00 PM »
Congratulations!  :bigsmyl:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mohillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 12:30:00 AM »
I have been hunting this piece of urban ground with a small woodlot.  The area is surrounded by homes and schools.  

I have had one run-in with this buck in the past.  It was about 2 weeks ago, before I left for Alaska.  I made the mistake then of using a small nylon blind on the ground as cover.  The buck jumped a small fence and proceeded to rub a good sized tree.  I got the honor of watching him for 10-15 minutes.  This allowed me to calm down a titch and focus on putting one in the goodies.  However, as soon as he was done with the tree he proceeded to move toward me at about 25 yards and lock up dead at the site of my blind.  I am sure he was wondering what the heck this thing was in his backyard.  Needless to say he turned and vanished.  I did hunt the next day and relocated myself behind a large double trunked tree, minus the nylon blind.  However, no buck.

Well, while in alaska I thought about the location and how best to capitalize on my now arch nemesis.  I decided that I would build a ground blind out of the underbrush and relocate myself further back from his living room.  

I guess I should also tell you that all over his living room are rubs, 4-6, some as big as my thigh.  Now, my thigh isn't overly huge.

Well, there I am pruning brush and limbs for a blind.  I am using a pair of pruning shears and a small saw that my fellow bowhunter and friend Darren Haverstick gave me.  I locate this blind about 20 yards back from my previous encounter and clear away some leaves and place my little fold-up stool for comfort.  The wind was quartering into my face and the sun was in and out from behind the clouds.  

I do have to tell you that about 2.5 hours into the sit I was getting the urge to get up and stalk around a little.  However, not being a ballerina or even remotely light on my feet I used some will-power and decided to sit it out.  About 30 minutes before dark I heard this crunching and scratching behind me and to my right.  A slow turn revealed the buck horning a tree about 20 yards behind me.  Luckily, this kept him out of my scent due to the quartering wind in my face.  

Now, I am nervous.  I looked at the ground and remembered some of the advice given on this wonderful forum,  "aim small, miss small",  "pick a spot",  "don't look at the horns",  and by all means, "don't lose control of your bowels".   :help:  

For a short while I thought he was going to move behind me which would have made for alot of movement and a tricky shot due to all the brush.  However, he moved ahead off to my right.  At about 15 yards he moved behind a bush and I stood.  My breathe was coming ragged and deep now and I had to stare at his hide and forget his head.  Completely oblivious to my presence he moved ahead nose to ground and stepped into a clearing at about 8-10 yards.  I drew and released and saw the arrow hit low behind the shoulder.  I thought it looked actually lower than it should have but saw the arrow stick in the ground on the other side of the deer.  

He bolted forward about 25-30 yards and stopped looking dead away from me.  He didn't even know what happened.  I was reviewing the shot and waiting for him to move.  Next thing I know he begins to sway a little.  Not much but definately not normal.  A little sway turned into a big sway and he tipped over right there in plain site.  

Now let me tell you I was a moist pile of used acorns.  I sat down in astonishment and awe.  Guess what,  I heard another sound beind me and to the right.  His younger partner came the same trail he did.  He was an 8 to but just a little smaller and his body wasn't as big.  He walked up about 25 yards from his buddy and got real spooky.  He walked by me at 10 yards completely unaware that I was there.  Next year.  

Can't wait to dig into the loin and backstrap.  

Bret

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 06:32:00 AM »
The story was worth the wait. Nice job of telling it.  :thumbsup:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 06:54:00 AM »
Congrats - Very nice Buck and from the ground no less! There was a sense of accomplishment and excitement that I can't even begin to explain when I shot my first deer from the ground. It felt better than when I shot my first deer as a kid. I was wondering if you felt that way?
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 07:04:00 AM »
Great buck and story.Glad you kept your bowels in order, don't think I could with a clean big 8 like that one. Good going!!
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Tradesmen4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 07:17:00 AM »
Bret glad your plan came togeather. Couldn't have happen to anicer guy. I knew if you got the shot the deer would be yours. Stay in touch Greg.
greg ketchum

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 07:20:00 AM »
great stort bret and an outstanding buck!congrats this is my next phase in traditional archery a buck from the blind!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©