3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ultimate Longbow?  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ultimate Longbow?
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
It seems that the term "ultimate" is actually a moving target.  What is the ultimate bow today may not be quite so ultimate tomorrow. That's what makes threads like this fun, because you see so many points of view.

For me it is the Howard Hill bows. They are the classic American Longbow design, they have a history of being associated with one of the greatest archers ever, and are just plain fun and very effective.When traditional archery is mentioned, a HH bow comes to my mind.

There may be many bows that are technilogically more advanced, but thay just don't have the romantic (literary usage of the word romantic) appeal of a Hill bow.

But as Rob S. stated there is no single ultimate bow. It is a matter of personal preference. Wouldn't it be fun, though, if we could all get together for a big shoot and have everybody bring his/her personal ultimate bow? There would be some rousing debate around that campfire for sure.
Sam

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
It seems that the term "ultimate" is actually a moving taget.

For me it is the Howard Hill bows. They are the classic American Longbow design, they have a history of being associated with one of the greatest archers ever, and are just plain fun and very effective.When traditional archery is mentioned, a HH bow comes to my mind.

There may be many bows that are technilogically more advanced, but thay just don't have the romantic (literary
usage of the word romantic) appeal of a Hill bow.
I can agree with that comment, all day long!

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Good thread MTarrowlauncher. I too love to hear others opinions on what they consider the ultimate bow. For me its the Shrew CH and Centaur. I like to hunt with the 56" CH-its length just makes for easy handling in the woods. I use my Centaur for 3-d- its speed seems to make the longer shots easier.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
Im glad this thread is back to its original fun purpose. I love hearing what people think is the best bow for them! So many great ones out there. The nicest longbow ive shot so far is the toelke whip. My buddy has a tomohawk that is also nice. I would love to shoot a Moab a Treestick or a centaur as a one piece. As a three piece id love to shoot a robertson Raven styk. I like Rob W's idea about the bus!!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
I'm hoping to say the same thing tomorrow... new whip in the mail  :pray:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
Cool Zradix. Im sure you'll love it. Im like so many on here who has sold a great bow.. Why the hell do we do it! Enjoy yours.

« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
My next super ultimate longbow is going to be a Stotler, I cannot decide whether to get it right handed or left handed or what materials should be in it.  The Stotler I had years ago was a life changer for me, I really cannot explain why I did not get more of them. Perhaps I was just curious about other bows.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
Right now its a Northern Mist Superior, but I do love the Bear Montana.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline AdAstraAiroh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
My vote is the Fox Triple Crown Carbon bow by Ron King.  Fast, accurate with elite craftsmanship. Nothing I have ever shot feels like it or shoots like it!

Mark

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
The one that is in my hand at the time I drop the sting!!!!!
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I would have to agree with everyone who has mentioned the Fox Triple Crown. Mine has the carbon option and it is just a superb longbow.

Regards,
Grouse

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
got an abbott bow,from when he was packing out his own yew with horses,71#r and an anderson skookum about 75#,tellyou what, the anderson is a little quicker,but only a little, they are both as smooth as silk and cast a 700gr arrow in the finest way,got a new 63#lefty abbott and thats a nice bow too!

Offline Lil Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
My Centaur and then my Firefly

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Zradix:
I'm hoping to say the same thing tomorrow... new whip in the mail   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
I'm all about the growth and not the rain...However these threads are often an inevitable slippery slope.  Kinda like a Habu VS. Black Widow thread.  Do not go there!

We all take this journey differently and I have been one of those traditional shooters that has enjoyed trying everything I can get my hands on. I have enjoyed this approach and this site has really made that possible given where I live.  Has the constant change-up of tackle affected my shooting?  I think maybe it has.  Have I received critcism for always trying something new?  Yes, but it's such a personal journey I really care not.

Luckily, high end trad bows are generally a worthy investment.  You can go through this process and loose a little dough here and there, but in general their values hold.

So to participate in this thread as I now interpret it.  Two years ago my "ultimate bow" was a Toelke Whip.  Still pick these up and love shooting them.  One year ago my "ultimate bow" was a 64" Griffin R/D.  Six months ago my "ultimate bow" was a Toelke Lynx, which is the bow I have the biggest regret of ever selling. Three months ago my "ultimate bow" was a 2 piece Bama Expedition Hunter.  This bow will take a moose this fall.  Right now my "ultimate bow" is a very unique Thunderhorn Vintage serial #1; I can shoot this bow all day without any fatigue.  In the mail I have a Centaur Carbon Elite so my "ultimate bow" is liable to be up for subjective internal debate...I will be sure to update this thread should the Centaur leap frog the Thorn...

:campfire:  

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Bar none....Centaur Triple Carbon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement