3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ultimate Longbow?  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ultimate Longbow?
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
Well,

The ULTIMATE longbow, to own, would be one made by Howard Hill himself. One that he hunted with. One he shared with and was shot by Young, Pope, and Compton. Even a young Fred Bear shooting it although he was a lefty. But there ain't such an animal.

And I have to respectfully disagree with the above comment.

The arrow is only as good as the bow and archer that launched it. All must work in harmony.

In saying that, I don't harmonize as well as I'd like.   :(
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Well,

The ULTIMATE longbow, to own, would be one made by Howard Hill himself. One that he hunted with. One he shared with and was shot by Young, Pope, and Compton. Even a young Fred Bear shooting it although he was a lefty. But there ain't such an animal.

The arrow is only as good as the bow and archer that launched it. All must work in harmony.

In saying that, I don't harmonize as well as I'd like.    :(  
Think there was a hill bow for sale recently in the classifieds

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by huntmaster80:
Think there was a hill bow for sale recently in the classifieds [/b]

Oh there are Hill made bows out there, but one shot by all those other guys too?

I couldn't afford it if it did exist.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Well,

In saying that, I don't harmonize as well as I'd like.    :(  
think about which will be most consistently accurate for any archer/bowhunter - a tomato stake arrow shot from any modern high dollar stick bow, or a perfectly balanced and spined arrow out of a tomato stake stick bow?

the arrow is always more important than the bow ... Period.    :rolleyes:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline David Spear

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
What about the string?
TGMM family of the bow
Member since 6/6/09

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gapmaster:
I agree that no matter what bow your shooting, if you work with it long enough you can make the arrows go where you want them to go. But, when I shoot some of the old popular bows built in the 60's, they shoot well, but kinda beat me up doing it. Shoulders and fingers hurt, teeth feel rattled, stuff like that. Then, when I shoot an awsome design like the Cyclone, I feel like I can shoot all day and I don't feel like I was in a car wreck when I wake up the next morning. If I pull a 45 pound Bear Kodiak compared to a 45 pound Legend there is simply no comparison. I know people will say that 45 pounds on a scale is 45 pounds no matter what bow it is, but I can tell you there definitely is a difference. Some of the top marketed ILF limbs react the same way. With a bow design like Mike Rash's, even though it's 45 pounds on the scale, it just doesn't feel like 45 pounds. It feels like much less weight. No shock or vibration coming back down your arm to your jaw, neck, shoulders, and doesn't feel like it wants to kick sideways or flip over when it leaves your hand. There is definitely some great things to be said for these new great designs. I admire the old bows, but much prefer to shoot these new better designs that were made so the bow will perform better. It's not a speed thing for me, nor cosmetics, but the way the bow feels which makes me more confident. Everyone has their own preference. Not one bow will fill the needs of all of us. I don't think there is one ultimate longbow that can fill the needs of everyone. But I agree with Curlis, my choice is a Legend Cyclone. For me, it just fills the needs I want in a longbow.
I totally agree. I have never shot a Cyclone, but for me the Cari-bow Peregrine fills my needs. I can shoot it all day and that bow I shoot with confidence. Just bougth a second one, BTW....
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
think about which will be most consistently accurate for any archer/bowhunter - a tomato stake arrow shot from any modern high dollar stick bow, or a perfectly balanced and spined arrow out of a tomato stake stick bow?

the arrow is always more important than the bow ... Period.     :rolleyes:  [/QB]
I couldn't agree more! I always say: A badly tuned arrow from a perfect bow will fly bad, but a perfectly tuned arrow from a bad bow will fly perfect.

What about that?  :)
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
I shoot one that you don't hear a whole lot out of these days but they are STELLAR performers are Gus Dellagaffo's "Longriver Longbows".Gus started making his bows back in the early eightys and was a fixture a Denton Hill for decades!!When you see him there he usually always has 3 or 4 along with him. His 62" R/D  ELK model is a rocket launcher and has fit and finish that are second to NO ONE!!I can never get more than 100 yards and there are guys stopping me to see my bow!! I'll try to get a thread up on my bow...you guys will see what you are missing...great guy...super bows......jackdaw
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline longbow guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
(FOR ME) David miller's  "old tom" american longbow  ( like an extention of my arm!  )   :thumbsup:
(david miller) old tom , black widow  pl III and  pl ll
wifes (david miller) little hawk
wifes black rhino
two tracks longwalker
MLA Member and Compton Member

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
I think my Dwyer Defiant is pretty close to ultimate longbow. 60" 55#@28" .  With these specs, stealth quiet, and a little confidence, this Gem is hard to beat. It will do just about anything you ask of it and do it well. Looks to kill as well!
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
there is absolutely no such thing as an "ultimate bow" of any pedigree.  that's pure nonsense on way too many levels.
:banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:  Just looking for a fun thread to see what everyone likes, not a scientific debate or a reccomendation for my next bow.

Apparently a little fun is too difficult for some   :rolleyes:
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Cody ,your so right,this is a very interesting topic,especially for new guys and gals.many forget the old days,or wern't around then,when we made decisions for ourselves,usually based on no experience and no help given.I know I would have saved a ton of money and time listening to advise of experienced archers or at least a working knowledge to give me some options.
Your right Cody,some see just rain,others see growth.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by MTArrowLauncher:

quote:
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
there is absolutely no such thing as an "ultimate bow" of any pedigree.  that's pure nonsense on way too many levels.
:saywhat:

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
I expected what most people did, answered with what to them was the ultimate LB

By debate I meant the bow vs arrow as being more important .

It's hard to shoot a bow when you can't pull it back due to an injury. Closest I can get is talking about bows and asking loaded questions I guess

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
my personal longbow that I designed and built myself.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Well it's like this. I've been here for a bunch of years. I have owned and shot the best in recurves,hybrid longbows and reflex/deflex longbows. After many years of buying,shooting and selling over and over. I have come to the realization that I shoot Mohawk Longbows the best. They are my Holy Grail. I own 3 of them. This is my opinion. You need to listen to the folks here . Get some ideas and make up your own mind after you have shot a bunch of bows. Not all bows are for everyone.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by bentpole:
Well it's like this. I've been here for a bunch of years. I have owned and shot the best in recurves,hybrid longbows and reflex/deflex longbows. After many years of buying,shooting and selling over and over. I have come to the realization that I shoot Mohawk Longbows the best. They are my Holy Grail. I own 3 of them. This is my opinion. You need to listen to the folks here . Get some ideas and make up your own mind after you have shot a bunch of bows. Not all bows are for everyone.
I listen to everyone's advice and learn a lot here. That  is irrelevant in this case however because I did not ask what I should buy or for someone to make up my mind for me, I merely asked what others liked. I don't understand why asking others what they like and why has turned into this?

And what does being here for a long time have to do with anything?

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
I was enjoying reading about everyones favorite bows. Some I had to look up because I had never even heard of. Sad that It got de-railed in such a manner. I see growth.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob W.:
I was enjoying reading about everyones favorite bows. Some I had to look up because I had never even heard of. Sad that It got de-railed in such a manner. I see growth.

Rob
That is precisely why I asked the question. You get to hear about bows you never heard of before, and sometimes get to see pics of super nice bows, and gives you new boyers to look at and bows to admire.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
here we go yet again.  another "what is best" thread.  that's what these kinda threads always boil down to in the short run.  

since EVERYTHING about trad archery/bowhunting is PERSONAL, someone please tell us all how anyone who crows about the virtues of his/her bow is gonna make anyone know what bow is "BEST" or even "ULTIMATE" for them?

can't be done.  way far too subjective.  which is a good word to apply to a free-form shooting weapon such as a bow (and arrow).  

as far as what's most important for consistent accuracy - the bow or the arrow - that's really a no-brainer.  really think about that for awhile.  then think, if your life was on the line, or the life of a critter yer aiming at, of all the things that happen when you drop string, what really matters most?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©