3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: National Bare Bow Association (NBBA)  (Read 507 times)

National Bare Bow Association (NBBA)
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
I was going thru a drawer looking for something I hid from myself and found a decal and some patches from the (long ago defunct) National Bare Bow Association.  It made me curious if there are any other old NBBA members here…. or do you even remember it?  

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: National Bare Bow Association (NBBA)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
I joined it in mid 80s got my patch which I still have received 1 newsletter that was the end of it.
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Never heard of it. Give us some history please.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
I believe. . .  that was a time of turmoil.  Target archery vs hunting archery,  compounds, sights, releases, long stabilizers.  

Everybody was worried about eveybody else encroaching and making the rest do what THEY wanted.  How can a barebow compete against string walking or face walking or sights or releases and multiple stabilizers sticking out everywhere or. . . .  

Many groups formed their own organizations, trying to hold on to what they thought was right.  I think most really didn't make it.

ChuckC

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
I have a vague recollection. I went to work for F&H News in 1984 and I think I remember seeing some info.

Google search turned up their not-for-profit incorporation in Greene County, New York on 2/9/79.

I agree with Chuck. The 80s were a time of classification and stratification in field archery (pre-3D). Huge tide toward compounds and technology which led to an explosion in regulations and target rules. I have no data to back it up, but it seems to me the tide is shifting back.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Jim, always glad to see that patch and/or decal.  I still have both.  Have all the newsletters in a binder.  Vol. 1 came out for Sep '80.  John Musacchia(Muzzy) was President; Board of Directors was like a who's who of Bowhunting.  Doug Borland, Paul Brunner, Ronald Bushemi(John's partner0, Dick Hamilton, Jay Massey, Gene Wensel, Duke Savora, and Dolores Bushemi was Secretary.
The whole idea was and organization whose members voluntarily imposed equipment restrictions upon themselves.
Articles featured just about anything that was going on in the country with bowhunting.  Plenty of photos sent in; Swap/Sell section.
Creation of the NBBA stump shoot which eventually became the 'famous' Muzzy Shoot which still goes on today run by John's children Michelle Eickler and Johnny Musacchia.
Somewhere around Dec '84, John sent members a letter informing them that the NBBA was scheduled to terminate do to financial support.
A new group of directors  based out of St. Joseph Mo. stepped up and continued the NBBA,
I know Trad Gang's own Tom Massatto was part of that group.  
Perhaps Tom could add some additional information. My info comes from my newsletters.

Good group of people, great ideas, perhaps a little ahead of our time.   Hope this lets you know a little about the National Bare Bow Association.  
Glad to be of some help. Forgot to add, excellent coverage and history of the Muzzy shoots.

Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Good info Shick. I remember it well. John Sr. was against compound use that was spreading like wildfire. I remember him standing up at every P&Y meeting to voice his concerns and suggested they separate or classify bow types. The NBBA came to being sometime after those pleas. A group of us once met in Morgan, Utah one September to hunt mule deer. John Sr. brought John Jr. along. He was probably 15 years old at the time. I was stalking a ridge when a mulie buck ran past me. I could see the buck had been hit, as they say, "a little far back" so I sent one through him to finish him. Minutes later, John Jr. came over the hill looking for his deer. I believe it was his first buck...shot with a Zwickey I might add! In defense of this, I must admit this was before John Sr. invented Muzzy heads! He was very happy, as was his dad. Great memories!

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©