3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Broadheads????  (Read 579 times)

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Broadheads????
« on: May 08, 2012, 01:41:00 AM »
I'm back to choosing a broadhead for elk again. I have killed two elk with Woodsmans but, I just don't seem to get them as sharp as I would like (They work fine, so I am fixing 'em). I am comparing the Aboyer Wapiti to the Muzzy Phantom and Zwickey No Mercey. My concern is that the Aboyer Wapiti's blade thickness .072 will decrease penetration compared to the .040 Muzzy Phantom (I don't know how thick the Zwickeys are and don't own any yet). In shooting into foam both the Aboyer and the Muzzy seem to penetrate about the same. Just wondering if anyone has experience shooting game with the two and what kind of performance people have experienced with single bevel broadheads on game? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Broadheads????
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:18:00 AM »
I killed an elk last year with a woodsman elite. The only problem I had out here in the Pacific Northwest was the heads would get dull in the quiver after a day or two of rain. Luckly I caught the problem before I got a shot and touched them up often. With a shaving sharp Woodsman Elite I got total penetration at 25 - 30 yards. I'm carrying them again this year!! If I were going to change broadheads I would try a stainless steel blade. Good Luck

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 04:13:00 AM »
Flinter, what weight bow were you using?
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 04:24:00 AM »
Flinter, what weight bow were you using?
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
For elk, if the bow has enough poundage, just about any broadhead will fill the freezer.

If I was shooting a 55# bow, a 2 blade broadhead would be my first choice.

If I was shooting a 60# bow or above, a 3 blade broadhead would be my first choice.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
I would strongly suggest giving the Grizzly's a try. All six of mine spin perfect and I can't sharpen anything very well but I got these things scary sharp with very little effort.

www.grizzlybroadheads.com

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
If yow liked the woodsmans, I would suggest the razor caps. I had great experiences with them , and I believe they are SS.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
I would second the Grizzlies if you are interested in a single bevel.If you are interested in a high quality double bevel,look at the VPA Penetrators.

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I will be carrying STOS the next time I go.  Strong head, great flight characteristics and I can get them extremely sharp.

D.P.

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
I am shooting a 59 lb Bill Stewart takedown longbow. full length 2219 legacys, with 160 gr. glue on woodsman with 35 grain aluminum inserts. Total arrow weight is very close to 700 gr. I shot alot of arrows in a foam block, both woodsmans and Magnus 1, same wt. The Woodsmans penetrated about 1 1/2 " deeper every shot. Both were shot right out of package, no sharping

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
In my opinion, if you want a single bevel go with a Grizzly. if you want a double bevel go with a VPA. However, there a lot of great broadheads out there.......Good luck, and I hope whatever you choose that it gets bloody.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
I'm another fan of the Grizzly.

2 pigs this spring, one w/ 55# and one w/ 59# longbows. Used cocabola footed and tapered cedar shaft and 160 Gr LW grizzly with an overall weight of 610gr. Center punched the vitals on the 55# shot and the grizzly was sticking out the far side. The shot with the 59# I hit him a little high, faster bow less drop I guess, but it broke his spine and down he went.

As tough of a hide and "shield" that pigs have I have no doubt that this combo will handle an elk. I plan to use the 55# bow and same arrow combo when I draw (please, please, please) my cow moose tag for this fall.

sw
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Big Jim 300 for me.

Thing is, I've nver had real trouble with penetration.  I did shoot a big grizzly one year, and it did the job fine, in the dirt on the other side like they say.  So did the eclipse, zwickey and stinger.

Then again, so were the razorcaps several years back, the VPA the last year, and woodsmans several times.  

I've decided that any broadhead will do, flying straight and shasp.

SO, I shoot EFOC with heavy (800 grain) arrows and the biggest nightmare on elm street broadhead I can trust.  

That would be a Big Jim 300.  If it only barely pokes its head out, our stays in there cutting, or blows there to other parts of the world, so be it.  Dead elk eith way.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
Adam and I have been killing Elk and Pigs with Abowyer Brown Bears. About as good as it gets.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
I have been happy with Magnus Buzzcut four blade   :thumbsup:  They have proven lethal on elk.

Offline Stryder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
I like Abowyer Brown Bears, Abowyer Wapitis, or Grizzlies for elk hunting.
R.C. Chandler
[email protected]

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I am really liking the new grizzly broadheads Bill is manufacturing. I can get them sharper than anything else out there.
James Kerr

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
James, I can't wait until folks start getting their new Grizzlies. I am not just recommending these heads because I like Bill and Tracy. They are made very well and so easy to sharpen it's unreal.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
I have Grizzlies, Abowyer Brown Bear, Zwickey and Ace broadheads.  However, the finest broadhead I have ever used to date is the Tuffhead 225 grain.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
Woodsmans for me.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic: