3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brackenbury quest vs peerless  (Read 406 times)

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
Brackenbury quest vs peerless
« on: May 08, 2012, 04:18:00 AM »
Hello everybody

For those you try this two model,which is your opinions,pros/cons
Thanks alot

Regards   :campfire:

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brackenbury quest vs peerless
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »
I shot the Peerless prototype while amar911 had it and I thought it was the perfect recurve for me. Silent and absolutely dead in the hand.  Of course, the downside is the wait and the fact there will probably never be one in the classifieds     :)

The Quest is a terrific bow, also a long wait but they do occasionally show up in the used bow market.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
There is one in the classifieds!
>>>------John------>

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
Peerless in classifieds?

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
Sorry that ia a quest.
>>>------John------>

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the answers,nobody else ?

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
I think this will help you.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000685  

I have NEVER seen a Peerless for sale. If one showed up in my weight range I would buy it.

Hind sight..... I wish I had placed an order when I shot the Peerless Bill sent me to try. Errrrr
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
I have shot 2 of the Peerless bows -- the prototype and the one I bought. It is an amazing design that is incredibly well built. I have only found a single downside to the Peerless as compared to the Quest and that is the potential for the limb twisting as it is being strung or if the string loops are not set on the tips with equal tension during the draw. I found the latter to be the problem when my bow kept unstringing itself as I was drawing it. I was EXTREMELY upset that the bow might be damaged, because I love it and did not want to send it back to Bill Howland for repairs and be unable to use it in the meantime. The limbs looked straight when the bow was unstrung, so I played with the string and the loops until I got the tension right so that the string stayed centered on the limbs as the bow was being drawn. After that, the bow has been perfect. I have 7 Quests and never experienced that problem, so I'm sure the Quest is not as subject to that twisting issue as the Peerless. It makes sense that with the large amount of recurve, semi-static tips and narrower profile of the Peerless limbs, the twisting could be more of a factor, but those same characteristics are also what makes the bow such an incredible shooting platform. With just a little more care, the Peerless won't be a problem at all.

As Bob Steele said, the Peerless is super smooth, quiet, fast and dead in my hands. It is the Ferrari of the Brackenbury line. The Quest is a fabulous bow too, as you could imagine I would think since I own 7 of them. If I were ordering a Brack, I would pick the Peerless, especially since it will take two years or so to get a bow from Bill. But if you see a nice Quest for sale at a reasonable price, buy it. You won't regret owning a Quest, and you may never see a pre-owned Peerless for sale.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 03:34:00 AM »
Thanks alot Joe and Allan for the info.
If somebody can add somethink about the Peerless and Quest,it's with pleasure.   :)

Offline Festivus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 04:45:00 AM »
Is the Peerless a static tipped bow?

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
Yes,the Peerless have semi-static tips limbs.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
I have one of the last Peerless prototypes. 62", #46 @ 28 although I draw it closer to 30". While I can't comment on the Quest because I've never owned one, I can't say enough about how awesome the Peerless is! While I'm no archer, I'm continually amazed by how well this bow shoots, how natural it feels in the hand (the grip is flawless IMHO) and at how amazingly “right” it feels at full draw/anchor. Not the slightest inkling of stacking ever even though I'm over-drawing it a bit. The bow exhibits zero hand shock it's very fast for its light side draw weight. Chonographed last year shooting 635 gr. arrows at 173 fps...46# bow shooting close to 13 gr. per lb. and still breaks 170 fps consistently. One other thing I need to mention, I'm just an average shooter with less than ideal form but my accuracy has improved tremendously with this bow. I was actually fortunate enough to win the Eagle-eye competition at Denton hill last year. I credit this amazing feat to Bill Howland, the Brack Peerless, and some flawless cedar shafts made for me by Dwayne at Dink's Feather Shop just for the competition. I've also shot literally thousands of arrows off my Peerless and have never experienced the limb-twisting/ unstringing itself issue that Allen mentioned. I always keep mine strung too, only unstringing to break down for occasional road trips. Guess you can tell… one vote for the Peerless from a very happy me!!!   :thumbsup:  

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Thanks alot Ron for you comments.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
I don't think I will ever have the unstringing problem again. It only happened a few times, and that was after it was flawless for thousands of shots before the unstringing episode. After I re-tensioned the string, I have shot the bow again many hundreds more times without a problem. I also shot the prototype many times with perfect results. I'm not sure how things got off enough with uneven string loop tension, and maybe the same thing would have happened on my other Bracks, but the unstringing has only occurred on that one occasion with my Peerless. I have seen bows unstring before when a limb was twisted, but they were not twisted on my Peerless. I attribute this incident to a fluke, and I have all the confidence in the world in my Peerless and think it may be the best bow ever built, but I wanted to provide objective and truthful information with full disclosure. The improper string loop tension was undoubtedly my fault; however, I do think a semi-static tip limb design (not just on the Peerless) provides a geometry where such an occurrence is more likely to appear.

Ron's statements are consistent with my experiences in shooting the Peerless, other than my one occasion of unstringing and my lack of winning a big sharpshooting event like the Denton Hill Eagle-eye competition!     :notworthy:    

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 01:55:00 AM »
The improper string loop tension was undoubtedly my fault; however, I do think a semi-static tip limb design (not just on the Peerless) provides a geometry where such an occurrence is more likely to appear.
The best way (for me ) for stringing/unstringing a semi-static tip limbs design is to use a good stringer like the limbsaver recurve stringer,it's surely the best one for this.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by amar911:
Ron's statements are consistent with my experiences in shooting the Peerless, other than my one occasion of unstringing and my lack of winning a big sharpshooting event like the Denton Hill Eagle-eye competition!       :notworthy:      

Allan
Allan, I'd trade my minor "moment" in a heartbeat for the experience of taking a Asian Buff like the one in your avatar... or for any one of the many awesome hunts you've had. If anybody's not worthy... it's me!

:notworthy:      :notworthy:      :notworthy:  

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 04:45:00 AM »
TTT   :thumbsup:

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpster:

quote:
Originally posted by amar911:
Ron's statements are consistent with my experiences in shooting the Peerless, other than my one occasion of unstringing and my lack of winning a big sharpshooting event like the Denton Hill Eagle-eye competition!          :saywhat:  

Many thanks -- Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
I just visited the Brack website. Very well done and interesting bows.  

I've never seen a Brackenbury. I know many of the Oregon-based bowyers come from similar influences.

Has anyone shot a Fox High Sierra and a Peerless or Quest? Are the grips similar? I thought my Fox HS had one of the best feeling grips I've ever shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©