3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good ILF Bow for under $500?  (Read 523 times)

Offline McClintock

• Trad Bowhunter
Good ILF Bow for under $500?
« on: May 09, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
I read somewhere that a good ILF setup could potentially be a better route than a Hoyt Buffalo.  I shot and liked the Hoyt Buffalo but I'm open to going another route, but I'm not familiar with the ILF world.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I can get the Hoyt Buffalo for around 600.  Is there an ILF setup that would be preferable to the Buffalo?  I'd love to keep the price in the 400 to 500 range if possible.
"When the lambs is lost in the mountain, he said. They is cry. Sometime come the mother. Sometime the wolf."--Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good ILF Bow for under $500?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
Bob Morrison has new metal risers in stock for around $300 bucks. SKY archery has some good limbs,and risers that will be close to your goal.
I have bought alot of high end limbs in the classifieds for half of there cost new. Good luck,rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
I shot a friends pinnacle riser/ black max limb combo. It was a RH but I thought it was definately worth the money!
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
Keep an eye on the classifieds, they pop up all the time. You should be able to get a riser for $250-$350 and a set of limbs for any where from $75-$250. You just have to take your time and shop a bit. I bought a new riser that I liked and now have 4 sets of limbs that I got on the Classifieds or traded for!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Ditto what Ron said.  The classifieds here are a good resource for ILF stuff.  But then again, he has too many sets of limbs and should part with those Dryad limbs  :biglaugh:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
I have a Pinnacle II riser and a Hoyt Excel blackout riser. Either riser with a set of Trad Tech Black Max limbs would come in way under $500. Either bow will shoot lights out when properly tuned. My Excel with a NAP centerest flipper has been the easiest to tune trad bow that I have owned. I agree with the others, you can get some really good deals in the classifieds.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline Breeze430

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
I've never really looked at  ILF stuff, looks impressive.
Breeze
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.”

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
Here's my experience. I've been shooting this Buffalo for over a year. I bought a used Morrison ILF riser (wood/phenolic), a thing of beauty, and a pair of used Dryad Epic bamboo limbs, not a cheap outfit even for used. Although a nice shooting rig the Buffalo outperforms it and I shoot it better. One man's opinion.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Those Dryad limbs aren't going any place ronp   :saywhat:   I have 2 pair of TT recurve limbs and one set of longbow limbs. Also a set of Samik recurve limbs. All of those limbs were very reasonably priced on the classifieds.  I have had several risers 15", 17" and 19"......so far the 17" Zipper Standard riser with Dryad Static tip recurve limbs have proven to be a top notch combo. Everyone that has shot it is amazed at the performance. Just ask ronp ,like he said a couple of posts back he would take those limbs in a heartbeat! Good luck in your search for a bow    :wavey:    :thumbsup: >>>------>!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
ILF bows are great. Probably 40 different manafacturers of them, can get the limb length, #, and balance you desire. You can adjust the tiller to your shooting style, and adjust the poundage up and down4-5# usually. These bows are super easy to tune, and will usually shoot a wide variety of shafts. I have had several that I made, by machining old compound risers and adding plates, paint and end up with a great bomb proof riser for well under $100 bucks! Pm me back if I can be of more help.
samuel koger

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
Best buy is a Hoyt Eclispe riser and Trad Tech glass limbs. The whole thing runs about #320.

Offline McClintock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
I can get the following at the local shop.  Any thoughts on this setup?

Hoyt Excel Riser Blackout 21"
Hoyt ZR 330 44 pound limbs Medium length.

Right around 400 bucks.  Seems like a good compromise in regards to price and performance....in theory at least.  I will be hunting with this bow and I like to shoot 3 under from an elevated rest.

Thanks for all the input thus far.
"When the lambs is lost in the mountain, he said. They is cry. Sometime come the mother. Sometime the wolf."--Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
I would say that would be a good place to start. Once you get your feet wet and get a feel for what you want you can get a set of limbs that's lighter, heavier, shorter or longer and go from there!.....good Luck!   :thumbsup:

Offline Gary Greene

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
That would be a very good set up and if you want lighter limbs someday,there are lots of good ones around.

Offline McClintock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Another question.  The riser is 21 inches and the medium limbs would put the bow at 64 inches total length.  If I got the short limbs it would put the bow at 62 inches total length.  My Sage is 62 inches and this seems like a good length for me and for hunting.  If I purchased the short limbs as opposed to the medium limbs, should I expect to see differences in how the bow shoots, i.e. forgiveness, accuracy etc.?

Offline McClintock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
I am 5 foot 8 and my draw length is 28 inches.

Offline Gary Greene

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
I like medium limbs. They will be smoother. If you had a 27" draw or less the shorts would be good. 64" bow will be fine for hunting.

Offline McClintock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
If you have a 21 inch riser with Medium Length 40 pound limbs, draw length of 28 inches what would the actual poundage be?

If you have a 15 inch riser with Medium Length 40 pound limbs, draw length of 28 inches, what would the actual poundage be?

Thanks

Offline McClintock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Okay, I think I got it.  If I had the Hoyt Excel 21 inch riser with medium limbs rated at 40 lbs. with a draw length of 28 inches I'd be looking at about 44lbs.  Is that right?

So the 15 inch riser with 40lb limbs would be more like 50 lbs?

Offline johnis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »
Yes your math is right.some short risers (15" or 13")might have other limb pads angles and be a little off but general rule is 1 inch -1 pound

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©