3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Dryad Orion w/ ACS RC Limbs- Exposed  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
New Dryad Orion w/ ACS RC Limbs- Exposed
« on: May 09, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
DATE: 05/09/2012

New Dryad Orion w/ ACS RC Limbs -  Exposed

The plan was to start loosing arrows out of a bow ten pounds lighter than my hunting weight after turkey season in order to more easily focus on form. My objective here was specifically form focused with a forgiving design and specs as prerequisites. The newly designed Orion riser along with new ACS RC limbs was selected for the task.

Much data, stats, hype, hoopla, rhetoric and fascination has been forth coming since the ACS RC debut earlier this year. Unless I can readily and visibly determine and/or experience the improvements and benefits, then I am not the least impressed. These attributes, to me, then are of no added value.

The following is my personal review as witnessed and experienced through my eyes after running ~700 arrows thru her.

Bow Specs: 62” Dryad Orion w/ACS RC Static Limbs
Riser: 17” Dark Diamondlux outer w/Cocobolo center
Limbs: ACS RC Longs
Draw Wt. 45 @ 28  (Note: I draw ~27 ¾”)
Nock pt: 7/16”
Brace Ht: 8 ¼”

Arrow Specs: ICS 500 -  29.0”
Insert: 50 gn
Point: 175 gn
Tot. Wt: 460 gn

Grip: The grip and I were at odds the first couple of days. However, if you try a perfectly fitting glove on the other hand, then there will be issues.  I was fighting it, relaxed and soon realized that it was the best natural personal match I had ever encountered. She seats on the mark every time and is extremely stable. Was confident that I had identified my favorite grip years back, however the standard has now been updated.

Riser: Robust enough, balanced mass, yet sports a small grip. **Moderate deflex. Again, a nice match for me.  Beauty was not my objective where mass and stability were, yet she is quite appealing. Numerous individuals stopped me at the TN Classic to view the riser – simple beauty. If someone wanted a fancy, then I am sure Mike would accommodate them.

Overall mass:  The Diamondlux/Cocobola was very nice match for me and I would feel comfortable going with a slightly heavier combination. My propensity to bias heavier mass was quite satisfied.

Shootability:  Points naturally and consistently places arrows on the mark. Shooting her seems effortless--.Likely my most accurate shooter to date.

Hand shock: None perceived- Perhaps I take this for granted in my expectations.
                      ** A pleasant ride

Craftsmanship: Excellent

Sound:  Have owned several louder bows and have made little effort to quiet her even further. She is currently one of those bows that are louder to the shooter vs. the sound perceived by those nearby.

Draw:  Effortless…Smooth…Did not notice the preload as mentioned from other posts.
I was assume this was a reasonable assessment since I am drawing 10#’s less(58”) than what I was accustomed to and the static tips draw as if the bow was 64”s vs. the 62” actual.

Aesthetics – Simple beauty as I had ordered

Performance –The flat trajectory was validated by extending my point on ~ 3 yards. This is quite significant since my point on even with my other high performance bows has been 25 yards at similar gpp arrows.  Since I am comfortable with my site window, I increased arrow wt and made the simple necessary adjustments to my set up.

Note: Ran into numerous curious gentlemen at the TN Classic regarding the Orion. One gentleman in particular who shoots extremely well declined to shoot it due to a sore elbow. He shoots bows in the mid to upper 50’s. When I told him that the Orion was 45#’s, he went for it yet commented that it would likely chuck his 580 gn arrows. Well all three arrows ended up in the bull at 20 yards. He looked at me in disbelieve and promptly parted to share his experience with buds, which one of them is a bowyer. Then a crowd quickly formed.

Service: It was a true honor to work with Mike Westvang. He dealt patiently with my river of flowing inquiries and expectations. I am expecting to turn to him for an additional request for I am in want of a 58” hunting bow..

Over-all Experience:  Was totally taken by surprise…All expectations were either met or exceeded.  My previous concerns were with the grip, shootability, and actual speed. The results far exceeded my expectations. This particular bow has actually driven me to revisit and re-evaluate my expectations. The bar has been raised to previously unchartered heights.

THANK YOU MIKE!!!!!!!!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Dryad Orion w/ ACS RC Limbs- Exposed
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
Glad you like it so much!Nice review.Have fun with it.

Offline AdAstraAiroh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Nice review.  Your observations are appreciated.

Mark

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Nice review.  I have not shot the ACS recurve but I have the 15" Dryad Epic riser with ACS CG longbow limbs.   I am very happy with the entire package and my experience of dealing with Mike was very positive.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
We are truly blessed with the quality of local bowyers in our midst!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Same experience this weekend except with the LB Limbs.  The draw felt lighter than marked, but slung an arrow along side bows at least 5#s heavier.

I do like the thinner older risers though, but that's a personal preference.  

Also I suspect that it will take a while before this hardhead can warm up to the ILF system though.  I guess I'm too hardheaded for my own good!     :biglaugh:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Pics please
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
Dang I'm blushing.

Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the bow.  It means so much more coming from "real world" customers then it does from us or even third party testers.

We strive to continue to push the envelop in performance without giving up any of the intangibles and if I may quote you.

"Over-all Experience: Was totally taken by surprise…All expectations were either met or exceeded. My previous concerns were with the grip, shootability, and actual speed. The results far exceeded my expectations. This particular bow has actually driven me to revisit and re-evaluate my expectations. The bar has been raised to previously unchartered heights.
"

This is exactly what we like to hear.

Thanks again!!

Mike

Now back too work, we have 20 bows with RC limbs to get built. . . .LOL
Mike Westvang

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Fred,

Actually Scott's bow is our Orion model and that's a bolt down not ILF.

We are selling the Orion about 2 to 1 over the ILF right now.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
Just out of curiosity, did you happen to chronograph a few arrows ?

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Have not. The chrono I have access to yielded less than admirable results when running my previous Borders w/Hex V's and my ACS CX bows. On the range, they seemed to yield the same trajectory out to 30 yards. My site window remained constant.

If I cannot actually discern the attribute, then it means very little to me.
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Nice review Scott glad your enjoying your new bow.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
Nice review, I've been thinking about the limbs for awhile.  Thanks

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.

It is not so difficult to publish a review, as such, when the product lives up to the hype.
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
Hey Scott, nice review on the bow..

Thanks

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 01:21:00 AM »
Scott,
        Could you post some pictures of the riser? I was hoping to try one out this year at Cloverdale, but, will still be in Iraq. I want to place an order, but, I have a medium to small hand and usually dont buy a bow without feeling the grip first. Thanks.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Bill,

There are quite a few pics of risers on our in stock page.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
Would have added pics with the initial review if camera hadn't gone on the blink.

** Still plan to post pics.
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
Scott,

That would be nice.  I wish I'd taken a few pics before we sent it out.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
Scott,
What I liked about your review is that you have owned the ACX-CX and the Borders Hex V which gives you a reference point vs just the regular attributes of super smooth, very fast, etc.
Thankyou Sir.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©