3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Dryad Orion w/ ACS RC Limbs- Exposed  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Dryad Orion w/ ACS RC Limbs- Exposed
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
wasapt...will need the Extremes to make a 64".

note: the longs will yield a 62"r
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
Yep Scott's got it right.

17" riser and longs is 62" and XL is 64".

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
Excellent review and continuous update Scott.  Have a 17" Epic ILF riser on order with Mike and just picked up a used set of long ACS 4G longbow limbs.  After reading through John Havards "Defining Bow Performance" paper on the Dryad site, as well as this and other threads on these limbs, I'm even more excited than ever about this combination.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
I miss My Orion.    :banghead:   I have replaced it with 2 sets of Epic limbs. A set of mediums and a set of longs. Just looking for the right riser now.

Mike, do You think You'll build a 19" riser someday?

bretto

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Pretty interested in the new ACS RC limbs on an Orion riser, especially after this review. Question though, do these limbs only come in the black glass or can you get wood on them as well?

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
I've been shooting the Orin for a long time. It was and still is the finest bow i've shot. Thanks Mike for a great product. Thanks Friend for a great review.
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Great review!
Thanks.

Offline Greybark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Hey Friend , I`ve appreciated your comments over the years . I enjoyed the feel and observations of this bow report , well done.

Cheers from the Westcoast of Canada,,,

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
what is the wait time to recieve the custom order Orion with ACS recurve limbs?
bryce olson

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by wasapt:
Don't know, but it's worth it, I bought a set of the limbs used and put on an existing riser. Today was the first time I really quit messing around experimenting and settled on the arrow setup I was going to use and I beat my best 3d score by over 30 points, can't wait to apply them to some elk!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by wasapt:
We normally run about four months on custom orders.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
How does the smoothness of draw compare to your ACS longbow?  I shoot several of A&H Archery's takedown longbows which I think are smooth, easy drawing.  I test drove one of Dryad's ACS recurves last year at Compton's and to me the bow seemed to pull a bit hard for the marked poundage.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
John, if you were shooting an ILF recurve it would have been 3# draw weight higher when mounted on our riser.  Perhaps that was it?

The A&H longbows are exceptional -  the draw on the Dryad ACS longbow limbs is somewhat similar and somewhat different.  It's a different design altogether.  The Dryad recurve has a strong early energy storage hump with something resembling let-off from around 25" through 31" of draw.  So to me, the recurve actually feels "smoother" than the longbow because of the shape of the F/D curve (the incremental increase in draw weight per incremental inch of draw through the critical 25"-31" is quite low).

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by JohnV:
How does the smoothness of draw compare to your ACS longbow?  I shoot several of A&H Archery's takedown longbows which I think are smooth, easy drawing.  I test drove one of Dryad's ACS recurves last year at Compton's and to me the bow seemed to pull a bit hard for the marked poundage.
John, for what it's worth, I haven't shot a Dryad ACS longbow, but i have shot the A&H longbow. With my 31" draw the Dryad ACS recurve is way smoother. Don't know how it feels in comparison for a person with a shorter draw though. I've had several very experienced archers shoot my bow and they universally said it was so smooth that it almost felt like it had a letoff feel to it.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Thank you Friend great review....  The older I get the more I look for ststements like these in my hunting bows  :)

"Draw: Effortless…Smooth…Did not notice the preload as mentioned from other posts.
I was assume this was a reasonable assessment since I am drawing 10#’s less(58”) than what I was accustomed to and the static tips draw as if the bow was 64”s vs. the 62” actual."
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
>>>Thank you gentlemen for the benevolent complements<<<

Further elaboration is likely to be biased.  After  ~8000 rounds, the union has been firmly established and the grip seems to be an unparalleled personal  best match.

Something noteworthy and unbiased was the experience encountered yesterday while wishfully dreaming  that the 62” Orion would freely function and unimpeded  w/I the confines of an original 67” tall Double Bull Matrix.

Shot 30 rounds from different possible window shooting opportunities with the bow held vertical…..found I had extra room while confidently loosing arrows which found their mark.

The combination of utilizing the low setting Asbell  pac seat and the shortened bow length due to the static tips yielded these personally favorable results.

***Still need to evaluate shooting from w/I the blind while resting on my heels.
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Havard:
John, if you were shooting an ILF recurve it would have been 3# draw weight higher when mounted on our riser.  Perhaps that was it?

The A&H longbows are exceptional -  the draw on the Dryad ACS longbow limbs is somewhat similar and somewhat different.  It's a different design altogether.  The Dryad recurve has a strong early energy storage hump with something resembling let-off from around 25" through 31" of draw.  So to me, the recurve actually feels "smoother" than the longbow because of the shape of the F/D curve (the incremental increase in draw weight per incremental inch of draw through the critical 25"-31" is quite low).
Hey John, what kind of speed are you getting out of that bolt on static limb of yours in 9-10 gpp?

That's a good looking limb you guys are building there...Kirk

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
Kirk...John Havard may well have more definitive updated info...Blacky's evaluation using fingers at 9gpp resulted in 193 fps. The bolt-on Orion is ~5 fps faster primarily due to optimizing a more specific set-up vs. an ILF design to accommodate the multitude of various ILF limbs.

The Orion shoots a 9 gpp arrow  approximately 198 fps.
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
You guys are getting me excited.  I should be receiving an Orion from Wingnut any day now!

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
17" riser with medium limbs, does that make a 60" AMO recurve?
bryce olson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©